“Oh La La Mon Cheri” 5 of 5 stars

“Oh La La Mon Cheri”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

Hotel des Arts-Paris Montmartre
Room 61-Dates of Stay: 2-4 January 2011
We arrived around 10 am because our plane arrived at 6:15 am from the US. It seems they have a hard & fast rule about check-in: not until 14h or 2 pm so we left our luggage and walked around and then took the Metro to one of our favorite restaurants for lunch. We returned about 15 minutes before 2 and had to wait, but we were the first allowed to check in. Our room was on the top floor, but the elevator only goes to the 5th floor so we had to walk one flight of stairs-no big issue. Our room was named “Gazi Le Tatar”. All of the rooms were named, and each floor was decorated with a Montmartre/Paris theme. Hotel is family run apparently and very clean. They were dusting the lobby while I was waiting to check in. All staircases were winding so there may be an issue if the elevator was out of order for some. Staying on the top floor would also be difficult, if not impossible, for people with walking disabilities or difficulty.
Our room was spotless just like everywhere else in hotel. One issue was heat: It could be adjusted but did not go down rapidly due to method of heating-hot water. I didn’t see any evidence of a/c so room could be hot in summer. The room had two windows: a regular one and a smaller one near the ceiling and heater. We kept that one open most of the time to offset the heat. From our room, one could see Sacre Coeur clearly. Looking right, one could see the Tour Montparnasse, weather permitting. I wish we had been on the other side to see the Eiffel Tower, but I have no complaints since I requested a higher room and got exactly that. The room had two twin beds, also as requested. They were pushed up together, of course, as is the custom in France. I saw them adjusting mattresses across the hall so the room can be made up with one double or two twin beds. How efficient! There were very small ledges on each side of the bed. The one by the window had the telephone. The only available outlet in the room that I could find was beneath the other ledge on the side closer to the bathroom. There was a desk with a stool as well as a small garbage can. Another lamp was on the desk plus bright lights above the head of the bed and one on the far wall above the desk. There was a nice but small, maybe 20 inches or 50 centimeters diagonally, television. There were about 25 channels. All were In French except the Arte channel which sometimes was in German. Reception was spotty on about 1/3 of the channels due to satellite signal. They need to add some English news channels such as BBC and CNN; however, one is not in Paris to watch tv, but sometimes it is nice for those who don’t speak French to have some. I speak French and German so not an issue for me. Next to the small ledges by the bed were two narrow closets. One had extra pillows and a blanket; the other had a very small safe. My little notebook computer was too big for the safe so I kept it in my suitcase and trusted them. The bathroom had a sink, toilet, and tub. There was a hair dryer on the wall and 3 mirrors of various sizes. The one that bothered me was the one on the door so I could see my fat self on the toilet! There was no mounted shower but a shower cord. Unlike most French tubs, there was no half glass door so one had to be careful when using the shower extension to rinse off so as to not flood the bathroom. They had very nice amenities which seem to be custom made for the hotel. There was soap, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, hand cream, and a shower cap. One minor complaint is that they did not replace them the second day. I did find the maid to get another bar of soap, however. Everything worked fine. My only comment would be that they should add some safety bars to help getting up and in and out of tub. Tub was not slippery but could be if one didn’t rinse it off before standing up. There was also another small garbage can in the bathroom.
As others have said, breakfast area can get crowded. We timed in just right on both days. They had cereal, bread, hard boiled eggs, juices, yogurt, water, coffee, and tea. One addition that could be made would be a few cold cuts such as ham, but no complaints because they probably would charge more than 10 euros if they expanded the selection. The hotel had no wifi although they told me at the desk that some rooms were wired for such based on how they were booked. I am not sure exactly what that meant. There was one terminal in the lobby, but it was often busy. I was able to quickly check my email a few times, but some lingered as if they were extra special. Also, there was a problem checking AOL mail except in the mornings for some reason. There was an error message so not sure why I could not access it during afternoon and evening. I had a family emergency in the US and had to phone for more details since I could not send or receive emails for almost 24 hours. I am not sure if it was the hotel’s connection, server, AOL, or exactly what.
In summary, the hotel deserves its high ratings. All of the negatives were things that could easily be fixed. The biggest negative was the heat. I realize it’s an old system, but it would be nice if there was an off switch rather than just a knob to turn so one had to guess if it was on high or low or wait a half hour to see if it cooled off or heated up. I don’t like paying a booking fee (5,50 euros here) but would not let this be a reason to not stay here. The rate of 85 euros for a top floor room with a view and enough room to move about was a real bargain for Paris. This was the third hotel where I have stayed near Montmartre. This hotel was much better than either of the others, the Villa Van Gogh (formerly Best Western d’Esteres when I stayed there in 2001) and the Tryp Blanche Fontaine (see my review for the details), and would definitely be my first choice when I stay in this part of Paris again. I do like to stay in different parts of Paris on my many visits and rarely stay in the same place again, but I would here. Access to the metro was about 200 metres, either east and flat to Abysses or south and downhill to/uphill from Blanche. There were many great restaurants nearby including one of our favorites, Le Buffet on Rue des Trois Freres, where my pictures are on their wall by the wine racks since I’ve eaten there about 20 times and am considered family.
Bottom Line: Hotel was quiet and provided a safe, comfortable night’s sleep. Bravo Hotel des Arts!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Greek first
Dixon, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

Like the majority of reviewers, I was very happy with this hotel. Every single one of the staff were pleasant, multilingual and and helpful if requested. The rooms were about the same size as others I've stayed in while visiting other cities and towns throughout Europe - efficient, but smaller (or larger) than some travelers may be familiar with depending upon their experiences. My room was very clean, and had hand painted art work on the walls. The location was excellent - this was the first time I stayed in Montmarte, and I was glad I chose to stay here and will definately again. I was especially happy with the heating system - I was always warm - something which I cannot say for some other hotels I've visited during the winter months.

My only suggestion would be to add shower curtains and a hook for those guests choosing to bathe this way rather than seated or kneeling in the tub.

Some suggestions for others - if you will be visiting a number of museums, consider a Paris Museum Pass, which you can purchase online, or at the airport when you arrive or at an Information center. It has many advantages.

There are numerous foodstores and supermarkets nearby. As for restaurants, you can turn either right or left as you leave the hotel, and find many excellent places to eat. In Paris, it is common for restaurants to offer 3 courses - entrees, "plats" (main dishes) and a dessert course. Typically, you may choose an entree and a plat, a plat and a dessert, or (for a few euros more) an entree, plat and dessert. You may also choose a bottle of wine or a carafe of the "house" wine - white or red. In the cafes, they may have beer, either draft or in bottles, usually in view in a cooler along with soft drinks and bottled water. Be aware - food is more expensive in Paris than in other parts of Europe.

My favorite restaurant - Les Dix Vins (The Ten Wines). Exit the hotel and turn right. The next intersecting street is rue Abbesses (with MANY restaurants and cafes in either direction). Continue to the next street, rue Veron, and turn left. After 100 feet or so, you'll find the small, storefront Les Dix Vins - often filled with locals. Take your menu decoder with you, because it is a family restaurant and they speak French. The menu is on a small handwritten blackboard and the wines are on a handwritten blackboard on the wall. Everything is delicious - so be bold!

As for breakfast, I did not eat at the hotel, as it was a little more expensive than I wanted to pay. However, other guests mentioned that it was good. Local cafes have breakfasts available for a little less money, but you will not have the variety and the coffee will be limited (if you order a black coffee (cafe noir) you will get an expresso. In Paris, it is unusual for breakfast to be included in the price of a room.

This is really a great place to stay while visiting one of the great cities of the world - enjoy it for what it is!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Bolzano
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

What a lovely hotel and neighbourhood!!! Our room was on the last floor, clean, romantic, big enough with two windows just under the roof. Every room's named by an artist and every little detail makes the hotel special. Only one thing was missing... a proper shower (there was a very small bath without a bath-curtain). Very quite during the night, wonderful breakfast and very nice staff..... what more can I say!! Go there!! ;-)
Valeria & Thomas

Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

We stayed 2 nights with my husband and we liked it very much. Our room was clean (in bathroom there was a shower with sliding door) and we didn't have any problems with heating system. Hotel's breakfast was good and the breakfast room was quiet. Only thing we didn't like was some kind of plastic in the bed on top of the mattress. Otherwise the hotel was just perfect. We would definitely go there again.

France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

Had a lovely stay in this hotel over New Year 2010 - the person who said the rooms were small has obviously not stayed in Paris much! For Paris the rooms were of a really good size. Couldn't see much difference between the standard and superior rooms, so don't bother spending the extra money. Bathrooms very clean, but a bath is the standard, if you like a shower, ask for one of the few rooms with showers. Reception really helpful and welcoming. Didn't bother with the breakfasts, as there are plenty of good cafes nearby, including the one used in the film Amelie, and you get much more of a feel for Paris than a hotel breakfast room. Montmartre and Moulin Rouge are only a few mins walk away. Really recommend this hotel if you want a good room in the Montmartre area.

Frederick, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

This is a typical above-average European hotel. The rooms are tiny and the decor nice. The location was good. Only the internet on the lobby computer is free. We only stayed one night, and that was adequate. My biggest concern was the lack of a shower curtain. It was not a privacy issue as much as a simple convenience issue. With a hand-held shower nozzle, it was difficult not to spray water all over the bathroom. Thus it limited the effectiveness of the shower. If I were staying more than one night, I would have been seriously mad about this. I asked the front desk and they said that none of the rooms have shower curtains because they don't want to have to deal with mold issues. For what they charge, they should be able to clean or replace moldy shower curtains! I would not stay here again.

wallwitz
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

A nice hotel in my favourite area of Paris. Staff were very helpful, which doesn’t always happen in that city. The room was typically small (well, this is Paris) but perfectly OK. The breakfast was better than you’d expect in a Parisian hotel, but the breakfast room could do with being a bit bigger asit gets crowded on a morning. The one point I would make is that the heating in the room was on full blast all the time I was there, and I couldn’t see how to turn it down. This meant thatI had to have the window open- even when if was -2 outside- to get any sleep! Overall though a perfectly decent and good value hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel des Arts - Montmartre? Share your experiences!