“Comfort and location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel de Suez

You added Hotel de Suez to your Saves list
Hotel de Suez
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   31 Boulevard Saint-Michel | 5ème, 75005 Paris, France (Panthéon)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #495 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
São Paulo
“Comfort and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

A very good hotel to stay in Paris! The rooms were comfortable (not fancy, but comfortable), staff were very nice and the location is the best, near Luxembourg Garden, Sorbonne, Notre Dame and both train and subway stations. There was also a bus stop right in front of the hotel, but I didn't use it. Breakfast was simple, but delicious (best croissant ever).
I would only point out two caveats: the cleaning service is not 100% and I found two small spiders in my bed, also, the elevator is really small (two people hardly fit there), so I recommend trying to stay in the first or second floor. For what I heard, this stairs/elevator problem is sort of common in Paris.
Aside for those things, it was a great stay and I would totally recommend it, very cost effective!

Room Tip: First or second floors are better, for you will probably have to climb some stairs.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

This is without a doubt the worst hotel I've ever stayed in.

We booked it for 5 nights based on the location, the excellent reviews on Tripadvisor and the price. I had low expectations for any Paris hotel but I was completely unprepared for what was waiting for us.

Our room was small and narrow with the bed placed across it in the middle making it impossible to get from one side of the room to the other without crawling over the bed. Literally there was no walk space. The room is ugly and dated. The carpet looks to be at least 50 years old as does the tile in the bathroom, (full of mildew and grime). I was so grossed out to touch anything in the bathroom or to even touch the blanket on the bed.

The hotel does not have the very basic amenities one would expect from even the cheapest motor lodge. No air ventilation system, (not even a room vent to circulate air), no soap dish, no wash clothes or body wash, no pen/paper. All that was provided was shampoo and conditioner which looked like it was poured into used bottles that had been refilled at least 20 times. gross.

We received a call from our family but they couldn't transfer the call to our room. We had to go downstairs to the front desk in the middle of night to take the call.

Although our windows faced the back street it was still too noisy to open them at night as they were right above a bar so we had to sleep in a stuffy, hot room. The plumbing is the loudest I've ever heard. Even with the bathroom door closed, we could still hear the pipes rattling after anyone next to us or above us flushed their toilet or turned on the water. The walls were paper thin. You could hear people sneeze in the next room. And i'm sure they got an earful of us as well. (hope you're not shy).

As we were cheeking out, I asked my husband to look under the bed to make sure we didn't forget anything. He looked under and was horrified to find a mouse trap with poison in it. I've never been so grossed out in my life.

Would never stay here again or recommend it to anyone.

The only pro was the area. It had tons of cafes and stores, was close to the metro and to various sites. But there are other hotels in the area to chose from.

Do not stay here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I loved it here - I have been here before in 2004 as it was recommended by 2 different friends who always stays here. It is not a tourist hotel. 8O% of their customers are on return visits and 70% are French speaking. It is family owned and run and that makes the difference. My room on the top floor was small but clean, with a small ensuite. From my window I could see the Sacre Couer in the distance. With the window open there was some traffic noise. I managed to walk everywhere from there. There are many retsaurants in the area, both in the Latin Quarter and in St Germain du Pres. A nice afternoon was spent in the nearby Luxembourg Gardens.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Scranton, PA, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

A nice friendly hotel in a very convenient location on the Blvd. St. Michel and within walking distance of many favored sightseeing objectives. It is very clean and comfortable with a friendly and helpful staff. Rooms are a bit on the small side, but tastefully furnished with comfortable bedding. Baths have been modernized. There is no air conditioning except in the lobby area. A continental breakfast is offered consisting of a small bread, a croissant, juice and choice of hot beverage. A cereal can be substituted for the croissant, but lack of choice will probably cause you to eat out if you stay more than 2 days, The hotel offers free wi-fi but it works rather poorly except in the lobby. Free access to internet is provided on a lobby computer for 15 minutes at a time. There is excellent transportation service with busses in front of the hotel and at the corners of St. Michel and Rue de les Ecoles and at Blvd. St. Germain, as well as subway/RER access at St. Germain. The negatives are simply that Blvd. St. Michel is a very busy thoroughfare and the area can be quite noisy, especially since the lack of air conditioning will probably cause you to keep the windows open. All in all, a good choice for comfortable accomodations in a prime area at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Higher floors might help reduce noise levels.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Santa Rosa, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

The staff make or break a property. This one is family owned and staffed superbly by friendly, sweet folk who really go out of their way to help. We stayed in their apartment across Blvd St Michel from the hotel, a 5 floor walk up if the elevator is down (as it was) and a teeny elevator when it works, big enough only for two........ the apartment is well equipped, room service happened daily and the view of the rooftops with the Eiffel Tower just visible from the windows was marvelous. Bed was somewhat hard and bathroom small but a quiet and peaceful oasis in a noisy city

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Hastings, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying here last August for 4 nights .
The staff are very friendly and helpfull . The room was comfortable ,quiet and very clean.
The locality is tops , so many wonderful places to visit within walking distance , and great resturants abound !!!!!..
The metro is just down the hill and lots of busses at the door.
I look forward to a return visit later this year.

Room Tip: I was very happy to accept the one I was given
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

For the experience of Paris, you cant beat this place for the location and price combination! The Latin quarter is where it is and where you want to be. They have free wi-fi, great hot showers with great water pressure, and clean rooms. The front desk staff were ALL super nice to us when we were there. Having 3 person rooms available was a great help too!
The beds were a bit firm, but typical. The pillows were great!
5 minute walk to Notre Dame and all the food you can eat. Convenient to all the trains too!
We were really happy with how quiet it was. we were on the 4th floor. The floor in our room creaked really bad, so hopefully we didn't disturb others below us. Thats the only concern I had with the place..

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel de Suez? Share your experiences!