“The worst hotel in Paris” 1 of 5 stars

Special Rate
€81 (EUR)
Ranked #1,368 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
London, United Kingdom
“The worst hotel in Paris”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I've been to a lot of hotels around the world, believe me. This was the worst. The room was tiny, filthy, few amenities, the bathroom was only partially functional. It was quiet enough, and the people were quite nice. We had a double room that was more or less entirely taken up by the bed. Don't do it - there are plenty of decent hotels in Paris around the same price, much much nicer. The position was good for us (a short walk from the University Paris 7, where we were working), but that's about it. Oh, it had free wifi.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Nathalie G, Responsable commercial at Quality Suites Bercy Bibliotheque, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for leave a review.
The hotel has changed direction and we do our best to ensure that such incidents never happen again.
We started to re-equip kitchenettes and bedding will be changed soon. Finally a new housekeeper is in place.

We hope your stay in Paris was wonderful.

Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

We wanted a business apartment with a kitchen. We booked online. What we ended up with was a tiny room with a microwave and a stove top without any pots pans and utensils. The toilet and bath is a 2x2 sq ft closet. The carpets are filthy. Nothing good to say about this place other than it's location.

• Stayed June 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.
Since your stay many changes have occurred.
All kitchenettes are being re-equipped and enhanced monitoring of the household was established. Also all the services offered have been reviewed to improve them to satisfy our guests
For the problem of room sizes we are in the average of the Parisian hotels.

I hope your stay in France was nice

Phoenix
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

We stayed at the Quality Suites Bercy from May 17th to May 22nd. Our belief when traveling in Europe is to find an economical but safe, clean, and respected hotel chain to stay each night, as we are gone for most of the days sightseeing. We chose this hotel for the ability to sleep three and as a member of Choice Hotels rewards program. Our room which slept three people cost approximately 140 Euro each night.

And now, the rest of the story. The hotel was everything previously stated in other reviews and even more as you are about to learn.

Hotel and General Area Observations:

• It is a three minute walk from the Bibliotheque Metro Stop on line 14.

•We arrived very early to the hotel (9:00am) and were told our room would not be ready until 2:00pm even though check in states 12:00pm. It was not a concern, as we were previously aware of the delays for check in as stated in other Trip Advisor reviews. They stored our luggage and we left for the day to return around 5pm from sightseeing and they had a room ready for us. I would recommend asking what the room number will be for your stay so you have some time of commitment from them to get the room ready in a timely manner. I was told I would be on the 6th floor only to find out we were on the 8th floor when I returned. It was no big deal. They do have an outline of each floor and rooms next the front desk on the wall. I would suggest taking a look at it once they give you a commitment for a room to see if it something you will like.

•Hotel off the beaten path for most everything. On their website they mention easy access to Musèe du Louvre, Saint Michel, Notre Dame de Paris and the Champs Elysees. This is a relative term as you could stay near CDG and you would have easy access via the metro, it just takes you a lot longer staying here and at CDG. What you save in hotel price you lose in time on the metro getting to your destinations.

•The hotel does have graffiti on the front of the hotel.

•A homeless person does sleep outside the door each night.

•You can hear the traffic from the street but exhaustion each night made this a non-issue for a good night’s rest.

•Front desk staff is very kind, helpful and can speak English well enough to understand what you need help with.

•Do not eat breakfast at the hotel. Overpriced and way better selections just about anywhere you go including the metro lines and street vendors. If quiche is to your liking, you will have many chances to indulge in Paris.

•Indian Restaurant across the street and Pizza Princess to the West on Rue Tolbiac are phenomenal. Other than those two choices, I wouldn’t recommend any other place to eat in the area. Poor food and poor service.

•Mostly bars on Tolbiac Street with shady characters sitting outside on the sidewalk who insist on staring down any woman who walks by and sometimes feeling the need to comment.

•Do not use the Metro on the weekends after 7pm. Shady intoxicated characters.

•Three homeless people down on Tolbiac street to the West drinking beer every day and one individual passed out by 7pm one evening but harmless.

•Rooms are small. Bathrooms are small and not clean for our liking. Toilet needed to be accessed at 45 degree angle. The showers were hot and had nice flow but you have to step up into it and it is very low for a tall person. Very dangerous getting in and out.

•Bedding was clean enough. Beds were comfortable but maybe more because of our exhaustion each night it didn’t matter. The French may have a different meaning for pillow-top mattresses?

•Wi-Fi was extremely slow. Stood in the hall way to get a signal and any reliable speed.

•50 Euros for a taxi to CDG and about 50 minutes driving time depending on traffic. We were so fed up with the metro and the characters; we took a taxi to CDG on the way home
•Use the safe and lock your luggage whenever you leave your room as you will soon see why.

Hotel Issues:

Each day we requested towels and toilet paper for our room. Each day we returned to have both requests fulfilled and our beds made which was very considerate as some Trip Advisor reviews make mention of the maids not cleaning the rooms each day.

On the fourth morning of our stay, we were preparing for another day of sightseeing. For Mother’s Day, my wife had received a necklace with a charm from my daughter. This particular morning she had placed the necklace and charm in its own separate little bag which was then placed in a little handbag and left on the desk in the room. Both my wife and daughter had both seen the necklace and charm that morning. When we returned for the day and preparing for dinner out, my wife noticed the charm had been allegedly been taken from the necklace. Again, the necklace was placed in its own bag inside another bag and left on the desk that morning. We notified the front desk immediately that evening and had the hopes of the charm being accidently found overnight and returned to us. The next morning, we again brought this to their attention. The front desk staff went and brought the maid responsible for cleaning our room each day down the front desk and she expressed she knew nothing about the charm through the front desk staff as an interpreter.

The charm had limited financial value and immense sentimental value. I will not past judgment but want everyone to be aware of the unfortunate incident during our stay. Lock your valuable in the safe and lock your luggage.

Unfortunately, I would NOT recommend anyone stay at this hotel and certainly not any one with little children or family unless they are tolerant of all the negative observations we encountered during our stay. In my opinion, you pay for what you get with anything in life and while most of our hotel experiences were expected due to research on Trip Advisor, our alleged loss of personal items was not acceptable and certainly not expected.

Karma is alive and well. Au Revoir Quality Suites Bercy Bibliotheque.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your trip and allow us to respond.

First of all I like to specify that since your misfortune the hotel management has changed. I am knowledgeable about your stay and I would like answer you.

For check in, thanks to your comment we realized that information on Choice hotels website was wrong. Since ever the rooms are availables as from 14h to ensure our customers a clean room. But as you noted you can leave your luggage at reception if your arrival is early.

The graffiti at the entrance of the hotel have been cleaned since your arrival.
As well we contact social services to take care of homeless there were in the street.

We have also taken steps to improve soundproofing of our rooms.

The breakfast was also to change to fully satisfy our clients.

Moreover all the beds will change in the coming months (bedsteads, mattresses, pillow-top mattresses, duvets and pillows) and we began to retool completely our kitchenettes.

We also engaged a new governess to check the cleanliness of the establishment and we met all the housekeeping staff to ensure that your misadventure never happen again.

Moreover, the size of our rooms is in the average Parisian. Finally we propose a taxi service to airport destinations (18 € per person).

Since your visit we have dismissed the housemaid who was in charge of your room and has been implicated in the disappearance of the gift of your wife.

The front desk staff joins me to present you new apologies and we hope that your trip to France was nice.

Paris
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

This hotel is a quite cheap hotel, very well placed (1min by foot from Bibliotheque Metro 14 which goes right through the centre). The idea is quite nice - it's supposed to be a cheap and cheerful hotel with in-room kitchen (fridge, sink, microwave, some cutlery) so you don't have to eat out every night. But this has been very badly done ...

The decor is nice, bright and colourful. But everything is very low quality and badly thought out. Staff training is minimal and it feels like if Ryanair opened a hotel.

- Staff did not know what room we were in on arrival, nor which rooms were occupied. We ended up walking around the hotel trying to find an empty room. They offered us a disabled person's room on the ground floor, we declined.

- Shower is a very nice model, very hot. Pity there is 1m70 headroom, I had to shower kneeling. Sink is also nice, modern, and with a tap right at the edge, you have to flatten your hands against the sink to wet them. Toilet is right up against the door, and the toilet seat had a crack in it which trapped skin when we sat down.

- Bed was incredibly uncomfortable, we felt all the springs.

- Kitchen ok (2 knives 2 forks 2 glasses and that is all) but a badly designed: when the kitchen is open, it blocks the main light. So you can use the kitchen OR have light enough to see, not both.

- Room was generally very dim. There was a TV, it was small but there. Room also smallish but this is Paris after all.

Overall the hotel needs a major overhaul before I would consider recommending it. A shame, as the idea was a good one.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Nathalie G, Responsable commercial at Quality Suites Bercy Bibliotheque, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear guest,

First of all we want to thank you for taking the time to give us your opinion.

We are delighted that you have liked the concept and peeled

In contrast to the rest all of us are sorry for the inconvenience you have suffered.

The hotel was taken over by new management at the beginning of July and we make every effort to ensure that your experience doesn't happen again.
In terms of personal training we reframe all the staff and we have called for a new gourvernante to monitor the functioning of the institution.
Regarding beds all rooms will be equipped with new bedding.
Moreover the kichenettes wiil be completely retooled.
We also plan to change all televisions.

Finally for the bathrooms we we are lookingr a way to make something to you satisfy.

I hope your trip was good and you will return to Paris soon

Best Regards
Athens, Greece
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

The rooms of the hotel have nothing to do with suites. The bathroom was very small and all the room had o very bad smell!!!And the worst of all was that the maid stole one of my rings which was in the room and into its box!!The only good thing was that the metro was very close to the hotel!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Nathalie G, Responsable commercial at Quality Suites Bercy Bibliotheque, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your return.
We're so sorry for the misadventure that arrived.
It's unacceptable such things take place in our hotel.
The management changed at the begining of July and the housemaid has been returned.
We are also changing a lot of things in the rooms.
I hope you had a good week in paris

Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

Quality... "Suites" you say? Only in my dreams!

This place has nothing in common with the real Quality Suites in Cocoa Beach, where I stop when I drive between Miami Beach and Saint Augustine (I need two days to cover 325 miles on A1A...), where you get two real big rooms separated by a wall with a door, two big TVs, a couch in one room, a reclining club chair with ottoman in the other one, etc., etc.

What they call "suite" in Paris is in fact a room twice the size of the average closet they call "single room" in Europe, but still half the size of the room I had at the Clarion Convention Center in Las Vegas a few months ago... for one third of the French price!

I got "suite" 807 on Saturday December 10 and Sunday 11, 2011 on the top floor.

A small hall leads to a reasonably small bathroom on the left with toilet and a shower a bit bigger than the mini shower I have at my usual Lux Hotel (with no luxury at all...) Above a round sink, a nice wooden shelf holds my Delta amenity kit (salvaged from the time when amenity kits were in real leather twenty years ago...) and my Sharper Image alarm radio with 20 soothing sounds, indispensable for sleeping in budget hotels all over Europe and South America!

The room has a queen bed with about 15 inches between the bed and the external wall, and another 15 inches between the bed and a big closet with sliding doors. A slightly bigger space has a wooden cube with a 20 inch LCD TV on top, a bigger cube where I put my big suitcase and a luggage rack where I put my carry on. Behind the TV, by the window, there is a small Spartan club chair without arm rests, slightly softer than a stone bench in a park... Next to it, a nice desk with a Spartan wooden chair, identical to those of IBIS hotels but black instead of green. On the desk, there is a plateau with an electric coffee pot, 4 doses of Nescafe, 2 of tea, 4 doses of sugar and 2 mini containers of milk.

Next to the desk, at the angle, a big closet with a big door over a wheel hides a small kitchenette containing a frig, 2 counter top stoves and a microwave oven. Next to them, there is a sink and shelves with dishes, glasses and silverware. On the street side, two doors give access to a small balcony over Rue de Tolbiac, with view of the François Mitterrand library on the right.

Finally, there is an electric heater next to the desk (very useful in Paris...) and an AC over the door, similar to those that you see in many hotels in Montevideo or in Punta del Este, Uruguay. Seldom needed in Paris, except for two or three weeks every year!

Because of the time change (six hours between Miami and Paris), I couldn't try the breakfast, so I had a coffee and milk in the room before going out and having a delicious butter croissant I got in a bakery a couple of blocks away, on rue Patay. There is a very good bakery a corner of the hotel that I know since 1982 but it was closed on Sunday. I had a blood test Monday morning so I had no breakfast either the second day.

Normal price for this room called "suite" (in fact a small studio of about 20 square meters with a small kitchenette in a closet) is between €90 and €140 for 1 or 2 persons, depending on the day of the week. Add about 50% and you will have the price in US $. This is an excellent value for a three stars hotel in Paris, considering that most 2 stars hotels charge between 70 and 120 Euros for a closet without AC, without frig and no microwave of course, or even a coffee pot!

If you don't have big luggage, you may take bus 351 at Roissy Pole (free CDGVAL shuttle between terminal 1 -United Airlines-, Roissy Pole and terminal 2 -American Airlines-). This bus leaves every half hour and will cost you 3 tickets. Take the precaution to buy a pack of ten tickets or you will pay twice the price on the bus! You may buy a pack of 10 tickets either at the same Roissy Pole train ticket counters or at the bus information, both in the same Roissy Pole.

Bus 351 is empty when it leaves but it will get as full as a sardine can as soon as it leaves the expressway, starting with Aulnay, especially on Saturdays, when people go to the market with big carts! However, it will be empty again by the time you reach a stop called "Pyrénées-Dr. Netter" (the first stop after "Porte de Vincennes", almost at the end of the line). Get off at this "Pyrénées-Dr. Netter", walk a few steps, cross the perpendicular street and take bus 64 to the hotel. There is a stop right at the door, after you pass the "Tolbiac-Bibliothèque Francois Mitterrand" stop after crossing the Seine.

WARNING: there are two bus stops with almost identical names: "Tolbiac-Bibliothèque Francois Mitterrand", right by the Seine river, and another one called "Francois Mitterrand" three blocks farther. I got off at the first one, by the river, and I had to walk three blocks with my luggage before realizing that there is a stop by the door of this Quality Suites of Paris-Tolbiac called… “Bibliothèque Francois Mitterrand"!

After you leave your luggage, the same bus 64 in the same direction will take you to Place d'Italie, where you will find a nice shopping mall and plenty of restaurants on Avenue des Gobelins. I usually go to “Epsilon”. Another bus at the hotel door, number 62, will take you to the heart of Paris XV district and all the way to Porte de Saint Cloud.

If you take the RER (regional subway) at CDG airport, you will have to change to line 14 and get off at "Metro" station "Bibliothèque Francois Mitterrand". Take "SORTIE PONT DE TOLBIAC" with a lift all the way up to the street level. As you exit, you will see the "Quality Suites" sign on the roof half a block on your left.

Considering that most two stars hotels charge between 70 and 120 Euros per day to sleep in a closet without a frig, nor microwave and not even a coffee pot (and, of course NO AC!) as I already said, this is an EXCELLENT Value for Money if you pay with Euros (between 90 € AND 140 €, that's between $130 and $200 a day a/o December 2011) and an outstanding value if you pay with Choice Hotels Rewards points as I did.

Room Tip: Request a high floor so that you will be above the trees and have a nice view.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Dear customer,

Thanks for your return.
Your comment is so descriptive that I can add nothing.
We have recently changed the manager and we are changing the bedding and the dishes.
We are delighted that you have been satisfied our hotel (for Paris) and the whole team wiil be happy to welcome you on your next trip.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

The toilet is too small to sit on normally so you are at right angles; the shower head hangs almost outside the tray because of ducting which is lower than 6 feet: shower curtain filthy; breakfast inedible; I complained and my room was swapped to one exactly fhe same except the shower curtain was clean but the tray wasn't. Don't go there it was euro 100+ and awful

• Stayed December 2011
Nathalie G, Responsable commercial at Quality Suites Bercy Bibliotheque, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.
We are sorry that your stay in our hotel was not satisfying
During the last two months there have been changes in the hotel. Management has been changed. Employee training has been strengthened. The breakfast was amended, the rooms are about to be renovated (beds, cooking equipment ...).

We hope that your stay was enjoyable

Best Regards

Been to Quality Suites Bercy Bibliotheque? Share your experiences!