“Great stay at Monte Carlo” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monte Carlo

You added Hotel Monte Carlo to your Saves list
Hotel Monte Carlo
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   44, Rue Faubourg Montmartre | 9th Arr., 75009 Paris, France (Montmartre)   |
Ranked #552 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great stay at Monte Carlo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

No problems or hassles with this place.....friendly, helpful, English-speaking staff, clean quiet room (even though I faced the noisy street), excellent location, convenient to metro and Gare du Nord station. Wonderful stay in a wonderful city. My only complaint would be they should include the continental breakfast in the room cost; seems sort of nickel-and-dimey to charge 8 euros a day separately. (That said, the breakfast was simple and very nice. Good coffee.) Would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Thai first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed at Monte Carlo for a week long solo vacation in Paris. I chose Monte Carlo instead of the cheaper hostel alternatives because many reviewers raved about the safe and cozy location. Indeed, I felt very safe walking to/from Monte Carlo. Less than 5 minute walk to two Metro stops and relatively close to Gare du Nord station.

All of the front receptionist throughout my stay spoke english and were very hospitable and eager to help when I asked for directions and or restaurant recommendations.The pictures on TripAdvisor are very accurate. Expect a small room with the bare minimums. My room included a single bed, desk, bathroom sink, safe and t.v. Since I was rooming alone, the toilet and shower were both separately located down the hall. The removable shower head was very dangerous and heavy. I have a nasty scratch on my chest as a result of it not being able to stay on the swivel. Becareful!

I wished the cleaning crew did a better job in vacuuming my room. I suspect my room was vacuumed only once during my entire week stay.

I opted out of paying 8.50 Euros for breakfast. I found this to be way overpriced even for Paris' standards. There are many bistros nearby where you can score a croissant and coffee for 3.50 Euros instead.

I really enjoyed my stay at Monte Carlo but next time, I would like a hotel closer to the city center.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
hotelMonteCarloParis, Propriétaire at Hotel Monte Carlo, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for having stayed at our hotel and shared your experience.

We choose this time to present to you our breakfast:
For 8.90 euros we prepare a French-style self-service at will continental breakfast composed of hot drinks (coffee, chocolate, tea, milk), slices of bio baguettes and croissants, whole meal bread and brioche, as well as cereals, jams (jellies), honey, butter, nutella, soft fruits (figs, apricots, prunes) & fruit juices.

Our products are quality brand foods. We provide 100% orange and apple juices of the Tropicana label. Our high quality breakfast coffee is roasted and delivered each week by a well-known Paris furnisher. Our baguettes and croissants are freshly baked and delivered each day by a local bakery.

On average in the neighbourhood cafés, a simple served breakfast composed of a coffee, a fruit juice and a croissant costs 9 euros.

Hoping to see you again.
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Stay there two nights, May 10th and 11th. The staff is nice but have no knowledge of anything around the area. We asked if we can get a hop on-hop off bus from near by and the staff said no, we walked about 20 mins to Louvre (that's where they said the closest stop was) and then we found out that day after we took the bus all day and saw one of the stops 4 mins from the hotel on the main road, Grands Blvd. Next time we asked the staff how to get to Gare du Nord from there and they said walk, 15 mins, then we went and talked to someone else (shift was changing) and the new guy told us (who was very nice, very inviting and easy to talk to) a bus stops right outside the hotel, 20 steps from where we are, take it and it goes straight to Gare du Nord (and he was right). Room hotels are very small, if you are two people with two luggage bags, you barely have place to walk. Rooms are clean. Breakfast is expensive (8.90 euros) for coffee/tea, orange and apple juice and breads. No eggs of any sort, no meat, no real fruits, nothing. I would skip breakfast and go to the cafe shops on the street right outside the hotel. Bathroom is very very small even for European standards. All being said, now that I know where the hotel is located and what to expect, I will go there again, it was a good price for the stay. There is no A/C but we did not need A/C as it was still chilly, though there was a fan in the room.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Pampatar, Venezuela
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

My wife and I went on Nov 2013, here are some of our impressions:

- Excellent location: The 9th arrondissement is a nice place to stay at. Plenty of places to eat, lot of art galleries, there are 2 metro stations near the hotel (Paris metro is really easy to use once you get to know it)

- Price: It was the best deal we could find, besides, I think Hotel Monte Carlo will give you the parisien experience you are looking for. Many other hotels like Ibis are a little more expensive and are very generic in terms of decoration.

- Bedroom: Small but cozy. We booked a double bedroom with street view. I found the room to be a little hot at night, even when the weather outside was like 6 C but nothing opening the window wouldn't solve.

- Bathroom: Also small, the shower was a little difficult to handle, cold water comes in ice cubes, hot one will peel off your skin. But I didn't even care, everything else will pay off for this little detail.

- Staff: Very helpful, they really helped us with directions, how to use the metro, and places to visit.

In a nutshell, this is not a luxury hotel, the bed wasn't new, the room was small, but it was an unforgettable experience. This is a very cozy place!

Room Tip: The rooms with street view are quite nice.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

My husband, 12 year old son and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in a triple room facing the courtyard. It was very quiet. The room was very clean and the pillows were the most comfortable I have ever had in a hotel. The windows were large and provided nice fresh air, but we also had fans if it had been too warm. The staff were friendly. We arrived late (11:30 pm). I had emailed them prior to our trip to say we would be quite late. When we arrived they called us by name and knew exactly who we were. They kept our luggage for no cost on the day we checked out.

The breakfast is very nice, and worthwhile, especially if you supplement it with some fruit and yogurt from the little market directly across the street. My son ate for free, which was an unexpected bonus! The wifi in the rooms was excellent.

The metro station is close, and the neighbourhood is pleasant and full of cafes and restaurants. I only wish we'd had more time to walk around and explore. I would definitely stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the street.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

We were unpleasantly surprised by this hotel given the relatively positive reviews it seems to have received. The room was cramped, stuffy, and not overwhelmingly clean. The bathroom smelled of mildew. The street on which it is located is rather busy and noisy and the noise readily carries to the rooms. As others have noted the location is fairly good and convenient for metro access.

Mammoth Lakes, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Stayed here for two nights in a triple room. Very comfy beds, cute, unique decor, great location. Was able to walk down to the Louvre from the hotel. Good value for a stay in Paris. Would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Monte Carlo? Share your experiences!