Beautiful Penthouse Paris Trocadero 130m2 4 sleeps

Reviews from our community

Reviews from our community

Peter P
Auckland, New Zealand
“In need of attention, lacking comfort, noisy from above but in a great area.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013 for a stay in October 2013
people found this review helpful

We stayed here from 4 to 19 October 2013. When we contacted the manager we told him that my wife had a major sleeping problem and was sensitive to noise so we needed a very quiet place . Olivier assured us that it was very quiet and on the top floor by email saying 'The main bedroom is isolated and looking into the back yard (not surrounded by neighbors) and the apartment is on the 6th and last and top floor of the building.'
Olivier also assured us that he wouldn't give us a place not suiting our needs. We soon found that only a single bedroom and a shower cubicle were on the top floor and the rest of the flat was on the floor below at which the lift terminated. We immediately found there were noises from above the main part of the flat and took this up with the manager and were told that the only room above was that of the maid of our apartments' owner but she was not meant to be living there.
We accessed the floor above the master and other bedroom through a door in the single bedroom and found as well as the maids room, an office and at least 10 other rooms along the corridor from the maid's room, all seemingly occupied. There was a long corridor with access to stairs which led to the service lift on the floor below. Sounds of people walking, running etc came down to the flat we were in. As the person in the office often worked from 9am to 10pm and walked around much of the time and talked very loudly and there was the walking and running around noises, staying in the flat becoming so intolerable we had to stay out until very late.
We telephoned Olivier the manager on a number of occasions as the sounds coming from above made it impossible for my wife to sleep both day and night. She had to take sleeping pills every night while we stayed there. I put Olivier and the office person together on the phone and also connected him with the maid when I heard her tell him about the noises going through to the main and other bedroom in the flat.
Finally Olivier came to the apartment on Saturday 12 October and went up to the top floor and I am sure he was surprised to see so many rooms up there. By this time we had spoken to the maid Filipinas a few times and she agreed it was noisy and people kept going up and down the corridor at all times. Olivier spoke to some of the people above and asked them to make an effort to be quiet but the reality was more noise came after this. We believe we were misled about the apartment being on the top floor and the effect on my wife's sleeping pattern nearly ruined our holiday.

The master bedroom and other bedroom on the main floor were advertised as having double beds but in fact the master bedroom had two small single beds alongside each other covered by a double sheet. We had to be very careful not to move while asleep, otherwise we could feel a gap between the two beds and the discomfort would wake us up. To be sure both of us had good sleep, I decided to sleep in the other double bed and found it was in fact an uncomfortable sofa bed. It made huge noises and shook up and down.

I note yesterday that five days after we met with the manager to discuss the problems a review was filed or verified saying 'The apartment is on the top floor (with elevator!) of a quiet building, so you don't have to worry about being disturbed by noise' that is untrue as it is on two floors and the elevator does not go to the top floor. In our opinion you do have to worry about noise. That review also said 'The bed in the master bedroom is very comfortable and the Jacuzzi tub is a very welcome treat for tired bodies' We would disagree with this as the two beds had a habit of trying to separate. The bath and vanity taps leaked when you turned on the water as did the taps in the kitchen. The dishwasher and clothes drier were totally inefficient. I agree with an earlier reviewer this place is only for 2 or 3 people. The ensuite toilet did not flush properly.
I managed the narrow spiral staircase from the main floor to the top floor to use the shower despite a hip replacement but the water pressure and size of the shower did not repay the effort. Due to the noise above I had to use these stairs on numerous occasions to try and source it.

The apartment was in a good location for seeing Paris, the sitting room was huge with many pictures, the outdoor areas looked interesting but we only used it once on the 5th to have lunch. The rest of the time we used it for drying clothes as the covered balcony is all glass enclosed and like a hothouse.

We returned to Paris two weeks later when we stayed in the Latin quarter, that apartment really was superb, comfortable, homely, great beds etc and only half the prices we paid for the Trocadero penthouse. This apartment is poor value for money.
The kitchen had a small table with possibly room for four to sit. All the dinning chairs and the sofa were very uncomfortable, so all the time my wife had to sit on one arm chair to avoid hurting her back. The cooker was fine but the gas burners difficult to light, there was plenty of china,spices and linens but there was a distinct lack of usable cooking pans or saucepans. There were only two lids and they were the same size ( 24 or 26cm) and both very rusty. There was only one frying pan which looked reasonable to use but I had to screw the loose handle to make it safe to use.
Olivier was very approachable and very good in trying to recover a gold Cross pen that my wife mislaid while there, but in the end we believe this flat is poor value, not homely, in need of some maintenance and in faded glory as so many things were not in full working order or impractical. The best thing about staying here was that Olivier was excellent in replying our emails and being picked up at the airport, and perhaps the nice pictures on the wall in the flat..

4 of 5 stars How easy was it to book the property? 4 of 5 stars How helpful were the directions to the property?
5 of 5 stars How easy was key pickup/access to the property? 2 of 5 stars Overall condition of the property
1 of 5 stars Bedding & mattresses 1 of 5 stars Kitchen & utensils
3 of 5 stars Bathroom cleanliness 3 of 5 stars Other facilities & amenities
3 of 5 stars Service
Liked best: The location
Liked least: The noise and the deception about the noise and being a top floor penthouse
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Tokyo
$485
Night
Week
Month
Additional fees may be applied by manager
Request to Book
Or, send the owner a message
Send Message
this property has payment protection
Manager
Response Time: Within a few hours
Calendar Updated: 129 days ago
Peace of Mind Protection
Learn more
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Listing is Free!
Protect your privacy
Get more exposure
Set up your free listing