“Great Deal” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel du Levant

and 1 more site!
You added Hotel du Levant to your Saves list
Hotel du Levant
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18 rue de la Harpe, 75005 Paris, France (Notre Dame / Marais)   |
Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #195 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
California
“Great Deal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

1. The location was great, great great. Right on the rue de la Harpe; a 2-minute walk to the St. Michel metro station and 2 minutes away from the Cluny-Sorbonne metro station. Restaurants right outside. You are right in the center of a very touristy but fun and lively area. A McDonalds a 2-minute walk (and internet place next to the McDonalds. This is for people who want to stay in the middle of a noisy, youthful, lively and fun tourist area. The Seine was a block or so way, so I could just pop outside anytime to get my view of Notre Dame at anytime. St. Germain area 5-minutes away. Having two metro stations so close also made it easy to get to places farther away. The Louvre was also only a 15-minute walk across the Seine. Although tour books list lots of hotels, I have to stress, being right in the center of the action was great. In the evening, I would think, hey, I want to see Notre Dame again, and I could walk literally just a few minutes and have Notre Dame all lit up, right in front of me.
2. The price was excellent. A breakfast buffet with croissant, bread, cheese, ham, cereal, hard-boiled eggs, yoghurt, juice and coffee was included. Booked directly on their website.
3. The hotel was a typical 6-story (or so) building. The lobby was small but nicely-furnished. There was a small breakfast room. There was a small elevator.
4. The ensuite room was a bit small (but average for France), clean and nicely furnished. The window opened to the interior space of the building and was quiet. The bed was comfortable. TV had CNN and BBC. There was also a fridge, which was great for keeping cold drinks. There was individually-controlled A/C, which was great to have, as it was quite hot when I was there in early July. The bathroom was or average size, had a shower, W/C, and shampoo, soap and lotion. For this price, for a hotel in this location, with A/C and a fridge, THIS is a steal!!!
5. The front staffers were efficient, friendly and spoke English.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Korean first
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

Fantastic value in the BEST location in Paris. When I was trying to find a hotel in Paris I really had no clue where to stay. After reading reviews about this hotel I figured I'd give it a try. WOW, this was a great end to my trip. First the location can't be beat. Within walking distance to many major sights and a just a block to the metro/RER stations. The nightlife is right outside the door with tons of shops and restaurants. It's just a short walk to the river where you can sit and watch street performers at night. The hotel staff was amazing. Me and my friend booked single rooms. The front desk lady was really nice and made sure we had rooms on the same floor. In fact we had windows that opened into a quiet alley where we could talk back and forth. It seems the rooms are customized to the shape of the building. My friends room was nice and square while my room was a little tighter squeeze. However, this was not big deal. The bathroom was spacious and clean. I felt really safe here and would recommend this place to the single traveller.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

We stayed here with our family, we had 2 rooms, a twin and a triple. The twin room was very pink! but nice. The triple was airy and comfy - the decor slightly tired but as we were rarely in it, it didnt matter. This hotel is in a very busy street with lots of restaurants and bars. It has several metro stations that are very close by that makes getting around the city really easy. The metro once you get the hang of it is fantastic. Sites like Notre Dame, St Chappelle and Concierge are a short stroll away.
The breakfast at the hotel was fine, juice, croissants, cheese,ham,cereal,fruit and hot drinks. The breakfast room is small and I would recommend getting down early to avoid a wait for a table.
The restaurants around the hotel are plenty and of varied quality and although this is classed as the student area, don't expect student prices. We found eating and drinking out pricey so take plenty of money! The Italian restuarant on the same side of the street to the left of the hotel was good, the french restuarant just before it not so good.
This is a good, basic, clean hotel and the staff were very pleasant.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Leicester, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

Friendly staff and wonderful location with restaurants outside the door and Notre Dame five minutes away. Typical size Paris rooms but with sufficient space.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Dayton, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

I had a very pleasant stay at Hotel du Levant on my solo trip to Paris. I was in single room #20 on the "second" floor (3rd floor for Americans). I booked at their cheapest rate (73 Euros) which included breakfast. I must say that this was quite a bargain. The room was small, of course, but not as small as I had imagined. The decor seemed a bit tired and dated, but everything was clean. The bed was very comfortable, the air conditioning worked great, and the shower had strong water pressure and plenty of hot water. The room was also very quiet. I heard no outside noise and almost nothing from the hallway or rooms adjacent to me.

The staff of the hotel were very friendly and every desk clerk I encountered spoke English well. I didn't know much French, and they were very accomodating. The breakfast was just fine, with the standard bread, ham, cheese, cereal, etc. One thing that impressed me was the orange juice. It was definitely 100% juice and tasted great - and I could get unlimited refills!

There were just a few issues with the room - I had a difficult time getting the showerhead fixed the way I wanted, and the phone in the room didn't work. The clerk at reception allowed me to make a call from the front desk.

The location of the hotel is excellent, but be warned that you will be right in the middle of a very busy and touristy part of town. The streets around the hotel are "pedestrian" and have dozens of restaurants - everything from French to Italian to Greek to Japanese. Just about anything you want is less than a 3 minute walk. There are also lots of students in the area, since the Sorbonne University is close by. A great internet cafe is just down the street from the hotel.

I would definitely recommend Hotel du Levant for a single, first-time visitor to Paris. Notre Dame is just a five-minute walk away, and there are two metro stations very close to the hotel. If you want to be in a less busy/touristy part of town, stay somewhere else. If you want a quiet, comfortable place in the center of the action, Hotel du Levant is the place to stay.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2009

HOTEL DU LEVANT –PARIS
BEST LOCATION

The location ,location, location .Two minutes walk from the Place St Michel Metro station from where the RER Express subway takes us directly to Charles de Gaulle airport .Five minutes walk to Notre Dame cathedral and the same to
St . Germain des Près or to the rue de Buci area, studded with interesting restaurants .
The rooms and bathroom are small but spotlessly clean and adequately modern. There’s plenty of hot water .The rates are reasonable for the area and include a pleasant ,continental breakfast .We’re going back in May.
Paul +Boop : Canada –Thailand

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — NIL
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Addlestone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

I would have rated it with more stars if it wasn't for the first day of my arrival. I arrived there with my wife on the 16th of June and even though I've booked the hotel 3 months earlier, they gave us a bed with a bad bed. Bad bed as in squeaky bed. You couldn't even sit on it and it made all these horrible noises and of course we went to the manager to complaint and to ask him either to change the bed or to move us to a different room.

Only after long pressure and threats that we would look to find a different hotel, did he moved us to a different room on the next day. But alas, the first day of our trip to Paris was stigmatized by that stupid incident. And you don't want that from the hotel right?

Well the rooms were really small and the toilet made me wondering....Why on earth would on put the WC on a different room that the bathroom? It was really funny but the WC was like a confiding room, not for claustrophobics.

The location was nice but rather noisy and the staff quite friendly but they give BAD info, so be careful.

If I ever visit Paris again, I would look for a better and cheaper hotel, because it was very expensive for what it offered.....

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel du Levant? Share your experiences!