“Welcome, Bienvenue les enfants!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Petite Rose des Sables

La Petite Rose des Sables
6 rue de Lancry, 75010 Paris, France (Chateau d'Eau / Gare du Nord)
+33 6 18 89 47 04
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #32 of 13,867 Restaurants in Paris
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chateau d'Eau / Gare du Nord
Description: Welcome to "la petite rose des sables", the warmest and most welcoming restaurant in Paris :) This family restaurant is very small (you can fit 6-10 people) and does not take reservations (especially through Hotels). The best way to eat there is to drop by and see if it's open / if there is space. Indeed, lots of friends come often so it can happen that there's birthdays, special reservations, etc. Due to popularity and for all the reasons above, Zouzou and Christian would like to host everyone but it is sometime impossible, try to be comprehensive and act with gentle manners. Moreover, we're very sorry for the people that were disappointed recently, Zouzou got her collarbone broken so the restaurant might be close from time to time with notice on the front door. Enjoy your stay in Paris Kind Regards - The little pink sands fan club
Lancashire
“Welcome, Bienvenue les enfants!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Well, where to begin!
My father had written a letter in French to Madame ZouZou to try to reserve a table for my mum and myself during our visit however we struggled to make contact in any form. We decided to pop along and try to get a reservation- with only being able to seat 10 we werent sure this would be possible. We found the place easily and I went in and used the best of my french to try to make myself understood and eventually we were and were able to make a reservation. Whilst we were there we were given 2 glasses of chilled Sangria and a charcuterie platter and breads!
The following evening we returned at 7.20 and we were welcomed in. Again we began the meal with the charcuterie and Sangria. It is so funny to watch the way ZouZou and her husband Christian interact and it adds to the quirky atmosphere.
My mum chose Boeuf Bourginion and myself the Steak Hache - I asked for this without the egg and no salad. The portions were plentiful and the potatoes in particular were delicious. We were given more bread without asking and our wine was topped up for us regularly. Alongside the main meal we were given a selection of sauces and salad dressings too.
The next minute Madame ZouZou was shouting to Christian to get me the cheese platter because I didnt have any egg! I was brought a huge plate of cheese - there were about 8 different cheeses and a big bucket of walnuts. My mum was able to tuck in too.
Following this we ordered dessert- Ile flotant for mum and Gateaux Chocolat for myself- the plates were decorated so nicely with marzipan Eiffel Towers and Hearts and we were also given some small homemade cornflake crispy cakes (which we were offered more of later).
We were then given a shot of homemade liquer ... and another.... and we were offered Calvados too.
They are so friendly, she told us all about her family and showed us pictures and asked to see pictures of our town. We were given souvenirs to take away with us and some for our husbands.
She was constantly having to turn people away, so many people wanted a table and no matter if they spoke french or not she tried to make herself understood. She was serving Sangria and Orange juice to people out on the street who were unable to make reservations.
It felt like we were in her home- it was a fantastic experience, really french. We laughed so much. We had pictures taken with both Zouzou and her husband and we left as friends.
The meal came to 30 euros plus 15 for the wine! Bargain! Having arrived at 7.20 we left at 10.30 (grudgingly).

This really is a must! We will definately be back!

• 5 of 5 stars Food

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
“Snobs not allowed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

We came to Paris for a 1-week trip to celebrate our daughter's 16th birthday and to escape the heat of Bangkok. We chose this restaurant based on TA reviews and were not disappointed. This small restaurant is owned and run by an older couple who could not be nicer. They serve good-sized portions of typical french-country fare...chicken, pork, beaf in various forms with healthy sides of roasted potatoes, side salads or vegetables. They're flexible too if you want vegetarian or something off menu. Chez Christian is a retired fireman who appears to have come into this business late in life because of a passion for cooking and his wife is his equal as a hostess/waitress. They will both make you feel at home and special no matter who you are.

We tried to simply stop by without a reservation earlier in the week, but the restaurant was booked for an anniversary party that evening. The next day I called to make reservations, but the message in French/English indicated they were too full to take reservations over the phone and suggested we stop by to see if they could fit us in. Since this restaurant is only a 20 minute walk from our apartment in the 3rd Arrondissement, we stopped by the next day at lunch time as suggested. Not surprisingly, the place was full (not hard with only 10 seats) and the hostess was busy serving other guests. We stood in the doorway and somehow managed to make reservations in halting French while plied us with cold meats, pickles, bread and glasses of Sangria.

It won't be hard for you to find a more sophisticated restaurant in Paris, but you won't find one as welcoming and one that satisfies your taste for french cooking.. very reasonable prices too!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Singapore
“Perfect little restaurant hidden in the streets of Paris”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

I'm currently doing an exchange in Paris so I've been finding restaurants to visit before I head back home in July. I decided to come to La Petite for a meal to celebrate the end of one of my exams. It's better to make a reservation though because the restaurant only seats 10 people at once and I got turned away on the day I planned on having dinner there.
But the female hostess (also the owner of the restaurant) gave my boyfriend and I a glass of sangria each, together with some baguette and cured hams, before taking our reservations for the next day and turning us away for the night. I was quite surprised at how nice she was to guests who weren't even dining in her restaurant that night.
The both of us returned the next day for dinner and we were welcomed into the restaurant by the same lady from the day before. She speaks little French but tries her best to communicate with you. Service there is excellent and she makes you feel right at home. I ordered the canard cocotte. It was simply amazing. So tender, so juicy... I could've finished it all in a matter of minutes. My boyfriend had the roasted pork. It was a little dry but I guess the sauce made it all much better. The lady owner was really wonderful to have around because she'll try and talk to you and make sure you have everything you need. My boyfriend and I got a pitcher of sangria, some tapas, 2 mains, 2 desserts and 2 coffees. We expected the bill to be about 80 euros or something but it only came up to 40 euros. I was really in shock because I was stuffed and I ate so much food.
I had the most amazing dinner there. It's been 2 days since I've been there for dinner but my boyfriend is still raving about it and wants to go there again. I really would recommend all of you to go there and have the most amazing dinner ever. It'll make you smile from cheek to cheek for hours :)

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Florence, Italy
“Best part of trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

Very unique experience they treat you like very special guests. Food was amazing and hosts were lovely. Best thing in paris!!

Bergen op Zoom, The Netherlands
“Highlight of our trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

My husband And I just came back from this place 30 minutes ago And i just have to write a review immediately due to the fact that this place And the People running it made my birthday awesome! My husband told me yesterday that the number 11 restaurant in paris according to trip advisor was about 300 meters from our hotel And that it might be nice to check it out. I had my doubts, because usually, when my husband picks a place to eat, it usually turns up into a blunder. But, We went in, And stayed for 3 whole hours. This is the longest time i had ever spent in a restaurant, i usually go 30 mins after my food is served, but this place, this gem was just incredible! Madame zouzou And Christian were like the grandparents i wished i had! They were so incredible host! You Will not find the famous french rudeness in this restaurant! Food was homey, comforting And just plain delicious! My duck dish was just so tender, fall off the bone! My husband's meatball was also great! We were given welcome appetizers, wines, cheeses And souvenirs! Yes! Souvenirs! A ton of them! 3 keychains, a scarf, a hat And a rosé! When We requested for the Bill, i was expecting to see 60 euros or more due to the amount of food We got, but lo And behold it was only 36! I seriously wonder If they make a profit!

If you wanna experience paris in a different Light, Come visit this place, might become the hightlight of ur trip Too!