“Clean Hotel in a great location...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Regent Hostel

Le Regent Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   37 boulevard de Rochechouart | 9th Arr., 75009 Paris, France   |
Ranked #43 of 126 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Glasgow
“Clean Hotel in a great location...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

We choose this hotel after reading some reviews and weren't disappointed. We flew from Prestwick to Beauvies, got the bus to Paris, hopped onto the yellow line changed in Charles de Gaulle, and then took the blue line to Anvers (Sacre Cuaer). It was a nice smooth journey in all. The hotel is a 1 minute walk (or less) from the Metro station. When we got there (at 11am in the morning) we were greeted in a friendly manner and were told that our room wasn't going to be ready till 3pm, which was fine, and we dropped the bags off in a locked room. After walking around the local area, and the church, and then bang on returning at 3pm we were given the keys to room 52. We entered the room which was small (but big enough), clean beds, and comfy, and clean bathroom. the shower was fab and they supplied some shampoo and showergel, too. We had our own wee balcony, but because of the location you may find it a bit noisy, but who cares if you have been doing touring around Paris for the whole day, we found no problems getting a decent sleep. We were next to the lift, but that didn't matter at all. All guests were quiet and respectful The hotel staff were ACE. Friendly, god English, and very friendly. They have a good knowledge of Paris. Breakfast was basic, but good, Croissants, Rolls, Bread, muesli, Jogurts, cheese, coffee machine, and it was fine for us, as it lastet till lunch. Our room was cleaned daily, and the bed was made, too. All in all a good price for a good hotel for a short stay. We would highly recommend purely because of the location, firendly staff, clean room, good beds, and decent enough breakfast...

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

We have been staying in 4 bed room. The view had not been spectacular (windows and walls of other building), but room has been cleaned daily, dirty towels exchanged, bathroom cleaned. Our room was very quiet and quite big. We had TV, phone, shower gels and soaps, towels. Breakfast was fresh and had quite big selection of spreads and drinks etc. No hot plates. Staff is friendly and helpful. They have a room where we can leave our luggages after checking out, and also have safe deposit, where you can keep your valuables.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Toronto, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

We stayed here twice. The first time was in June 2007 and we chose to stay at Le Regent again for our trip in June 2008. It is a small hotel but definitely a great place to stay. The rooms are small but that doesn't matter, you barely spend anytime at the hotel anyway. The place is very clean and the bathrooms are new. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the front desk is open 24 hours! There is internet (that you pay extra for) in the lobby area but you can also opt to go next door to the internet cafe. Across the street from the hotel is a Metro station so you can easily get around the city from the hotel.

Just to note, when I say "we", we are a young couple traveling together.

We enjoyed ourselves both times and would definitely recommend it to other people!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2009

We stayed at the Regent Montmarte in April of 2008. And it was a lot smaller than I imagined, however, we hardly spent any time in our rooms. Who goes to Paris to spend time sleeping??? There were two single beds and just enough room on either side to put our luggage. The bathroom was huge and the balcony was really nice, overlooking a Parisian street toward Anvers (the metro station).

It is a very old building and some rooms are hostel style and some hotel style. The room were were in was cleaned every day and breakfast is included with the hotel price. It was really good and just enough to get us going in the morning: coffee, juice, croissants, cheeses, jams, yogurt, cereal and other breads. The cheese came in individually wrapped packets so we would take a few and a croissant every day out on the town with us for a quick snack.

The staff were soooo nice. When we left they wished us a fun day of exploring and when we returned they were happy to see us and had our key ready immediatley (you have to leave your key at the front desk when you leave). There is also internet to use for a small fee... great for updating family of trip happenings.

Since we were on a budget and didn't spend much time in the room, this was a perfect place for us. Right in Montmartre where when you step out the door, you can see the Basilique Sacre-Couer and since the Anvers Metro is right there, it takes you anywhere around the city. I would definitely stay there again :)

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2009

This was my second time at this hotel, first time in September 2005. Now we were a group of 6 (3 couples) and I have chosen it because I wanted to be sure what I find when I check in. Most medium price hotels in Paris have mixed reviews, so I needed a sure thing. And I wasn't disappointed! This time we had a room at the last floor with an amazing view over Sacre Coeur. It was a small room, according to European standards, but a standard room according to Paris standards. But we just needed a place to crush late at night. And it was perfect after long days of wandering through this superb city. They were kind enough to give us this best rooms having in mind that I was a guest here before. And maybe because I have a good friend in Paris that asked them for a favor. And they say it costs extra, but in the end it was free of charge. The rest of the group was very impressed with this hotel. Very clean rooms and bathrooms, daily cleaning. We had 2 rooms at the last floor, with very big bathrooms, almost as the entire room. The other room was at the second floor and had a smaller bathroom. It's true, last time I was here I had a room at the 3rd floor with a tiny bathroom, so the other reviews are right. But what do you need more when you're here chasing Sacre Couer, Tour Eiffel, Notre Dame etc? It was 15 min by foot from Gare du Nord and 15 min by metro from Charles De Gaulle Ettoile. Very easy to be reached, right in the main street.
Great breakfast, basic Parisian breakfast, with lots and lots of croissants! The right "fuel" to kick start the day. Very helpful staff, they even changed one of the rooms at our request (a couple wanted a newer type, I personally stayed in that room last time and it was OK, but they have "cozier" tastes).
Over all, great choice! Booked over internet at only 59 euro/room!!! Amazing deal. I don't have anything bad or slightly bad about the hotel or staff. And I am an experienced travel; I can draw a continuous line from the most eastern point of Europe (Turkey) to the most western side (Portugal). So I have visited a lot of hotels.
So, if you want a basic hotel, a clean place to sleep, near one of the most beautiful places in Paris, just minutes from other great attractions, go to Le Regent Montmartre. If you are a Marriott type or want to spend more time in the room, maybe it's better to chose something else.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Brisbane
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

We were meant to stay at le Regent for a week however on arrival I was appalled at the overall state of the rooms. Carpets were threadbare, and the rooms in no way looked like what is shown on their website. I understand rooms in Paris are generally small, but this was ridiculous. We had a cheap freestanding cupboard with 3 coathangers in it which took up pretty much all the spare floorspace. The shower door didn't shut properly, with a gap of about 3 inches, so the tiny bathroom ended up soaked. In addition we had difficulty getting the radiator going, so the room was freezing.

I asked reception for a larger/ better room and was told all rooms were the same. My in-laws came into our room and were surprised as their room was larger than ours, proving reception weren't telling us the truth. After the first night we left and found a much better property. There was a Hostel Association plaque on the wall at Reception and I think it sums up the property. It is a similar standard to hostels I stayed at 15 years ago, although much more expensive. I can't find any redeeming feature to recommend I'm afraid.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Saudi Arabia/Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2008

This hotel was a disaster. I could not recommend anyone stay here at all. They did not take our internet booking deposit off the total price so we had to pay the entire amount over - a loss of 10% to me - even when I questioned this the manager said that the deposit was to do with the booking engine and had nothing to do with the hotel. Be warned!

Check in was a disaster - we had booked two rooms and everytime we needed to pay something someone different was on the desk that didn't seem to understand english properly and couldn't work out that we had two rooms on the one booking so we'd have to explain over again. When we checked in they asked for one night up front then said we could pay on departure then on the second day demanded we pay for the rest immediately, which was unexpected and we didn't have the right cash organised which caused problems.

One room was too hot, one too cold. There was no way to adjust the temperature in your own room. The window in the hot room wouldn't open, then when we complained (twice) and the hotel night manager opened it, it broke and we couldn't close it again (great in 0 degrees weather and on one of the busiest streets in Paris with traffic all night).

One of the bathrooms was so small that I couldn't sit on the toilet straight - I'm only 5'6" so that was an issue and the seat was broken from so many people sitting on it sideways, tiles fell off the wall in the bathroom from where they had fallen off previously and hadn't been fixed properly. The showers flooded the bathrooms, there was no hooks in one of the bathrooms so you had to leave your towel on the floor (flooded remember) so it got wet. One of the basins was broken, the paint was peeling and there was mould all over the pipes in the bathroom. Also the beds were tiny.

The rooms weren't ready for our 3pm check in time so we had to wait.

For breakfast the bread and croissants weren't fresh and were recycled from the day before. It's a no smoking hotel but the staff would stand outside the front door leaving the door open and the freezing cold into the breakfast room along with their second hand smoke.

The second in charge manager wouldn't listen to our concerns and spoke down to me as if I were an imbecile - I've travelled all over the world and I've never seen anything like his attitude to a customer.

I've travelled extensively in hostels, campsites and hotels and am by no means a fussy or princessy traveller and I have to say this is the worst service I have ever received. Stay somewhere else if you value your own happiness.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff were horrible, breakfast was stale, rooms were tiny and poorly maintained
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Le Regent Hostel? Share your experiences!