“Great location and friendly, helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Design de la Sorbonne

You added Hotel Design de la Sorbonne to your Saves list
Hotel Design de la Sorbonne
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 rue Victor Cousin | 05 Arr., 75005 Paris, France (Quartier Latin)   |
Ranked #313 of 1,790 Hotels in Paris
Costa Mesa, California
“Great location and friendly, helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

My husband and I spent 4 nights at the Hotel Design. It met all of our needs, at a reasonable price. It is clean, centrally located to sights and the metro, the staff is friendly and helpful, and there is air conditioning. Just around the corner is a little square with restaurants and a tabac, all of which we used. Breakfast was not included (but can be purchased) so we bought croissants, fruit, and juice and ate in our room.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

The hotel is located on a quiet street opposite the Sorbonne, and easy 10-minute walk from either the Odeon or the Cluny - La Sorbonne metro stations. Even though the hotel was on a small street, the area felt safe as there are restaurants nearby.

Even though our room was small, it was clean and the design was modern and functional, so we felt comfortable.

As mentioned in other reviews, the lift had room for two large suitcases and one person, so we opted to take the stairs when not carrying luggage.

Takoma Park, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for six nights. We had one of the queen deluxe rooms and were pleased with the size of the room. It wasn't huge, but believe me, I've stayed in much smaller rooms. The staff were friendly. The hotel is very conveniently located. I was initially surprised that they have guests cook their own eggs at breakfast (unless you want them boiled), but after the initial surprise wore off, I enjoyed it. That way, you know you get them the way you like them. My only complaint would be that the staircase is a spiral staircase, which I don't like in general, and that the elevator is so small and slow that it's not a practical alternative. I would definitely be willing to stay there again if I return to Paris.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I originally booked this hotel for a January trip but had to postpone and even though my reservation was supposed to be non-refundable, they were extremely gracious by allowing me to use the entire credit towards my rescheduled visit.

I was warmly greeted on arrival and every staff member I came into contact with was friendly, even the late night clerk. The room was small but typical of central Paris and very clean and stylish. Bathroom was very small with a miniature sink and shower but the water pressure was great. I had a great view of the Sorbonne across the street. The mac computer/TV is great if you don't travel with a laptop.

The only negative was that 1 day I needed to return to the room at 3pm to do some work and my room hadn't been cleaned. By the time I left the room again, the housekeeper had left for the day. Not really a big deal for me but may be for others.

They offer half price breakfast on your first morning which I took advantage of & it was above average in quality and choice. They had mini frying pans where you could cook your own eggs and also had an attendant use the same pans to make crepes as well.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Nice hotel with nicely furnished rooms. Rooms are kind of small but from what I understand is par for the course.

Didn't like the breakfast and internet was very slow but service was good and room was very clean albeit small.

San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

My husband and I had a wonderful experience at the Hotel Design de la Sorbonne. We got an upgraded room on the 5th floor with a lovely view of the Sorbonne. The windows opened wide, allowing for fresh air and a clearer view of the tarp-covered Pantheon (under construction). Noise was not a problem at all, and the curtains completely blocked the sun, allowing for a good night's sleep. Be aware that the elevator is small--it holds 2-3 with no luggage, so be ready for a tight squeeze or to climb the stairs to your room.

The front desk staff was friendly and helpful, and all spoke great English. We got to the hotel almost 4 hours early and they will willing and able to accommodate an early check in (we did give them previous notice that we would be arriving early, but did not expect that they would be able to get us into a room so quickly).

We booked through Facebook and therefore got a good rate with breakfast included. The breakfast was wonderful. You could either have food cooked to order or select from a small buffet. We had crepes, cereal, cheese, meats, yogurt, baked goods, and eggs available every morning.

The room, and especially the bathroom, was tiny. However, it was clean, very modern and well appointed with a desktop computer/TV (and free wi-fi for laptops). Our bed was comfortable and the air conditioning kept the room nice and cool. And the water pressure in the shower was excellent; however, the shower knob placement was less than ideal, as I consistently accidentally knocked it to scalding hot every time I lathered up. That said, a great bonus was that the shower was COMPLETELY enclosed rather than a half glass wall. The toilet was situated in a small niche that would be a tight squeeze for larger people, but it worked fine for us. The bathroom did have a bit of a mildew-like smell, but it went away if you left the bathroom door open when not in use.

The hotel location was wonderful for us--right around the corner from Luxembourg Gardens and the Pantheon and a 10-15 minute walk to Notre Dame. The 5th can be quite touristy, but the hotel is tucked away a bit in a non-touristy space. There are restaurants, shops, and a number of metro stations within easy walking distance.

I would give this hotel 4.5 stars if possible, but the small room size (fairly common in France from what I understand) keeps it from being a 5. All in all, I'd definitely recommend this hotel without reservations.

Room Tip: We enjoyed room 53. It was small, but it had a wonderful view and was quiet.