“Do Not Stay Here” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #101 of 123 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Barrie, Canada
“Do Not Stay Here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

The Friends Hostel in Paris has a brilliant location, less than a minute from the Metro, and a very convenient line, and a 10 minute walk to the Sacre-Courer basilica. Sadly however, this is the end of the positive qualities.

The system for accessing the rooms is run very poorly. Each customer does not receive a key, and therefore you must ask at the front desk for a key. Anyone can get into your room if they ask for the key. During my second night there was a person sleeping in the room who was supposed to have been gone by this point, but he figured out that nobody would know if he was still around; this ended at 1:30 AM when a new arrival walked in to use the bed (at this point the bed was not cleaned and prepared for a new guest).

As for the building itself, it has a lot of potential. The rooms are simple, but rundown quite a bit. Many of the beds have rusted sections, and heaters are falling off of the walls. The toilet facilities and showers are often flooded with water, and expel an unpleasant smell. Cleanliness is not a priority at Friends Hostel.

Finally, as for the staff, they could be more pleasant. The staff do not really come across as being great experts on Paris, or even the immediate area around the hostel. It is clear as well that customer service training does not occur, as attitudes towards patrons are rude and unwelcoming.

In conclusion, no, I would not recommend staying at this hostel!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Not a nice area- girls in our group regularly got heckled and wolf whistled, high police presence, friend got pick pocketed. But... rooms arent too bad, if a little small, showers are fine although our first shower didnt drain so flooded our room, beds comfy enough if a little unsturdy and some bugs too on my pillow- decided not to use it! Metro station right outside takes you to the champs elysees, moulin rouge ten minute walk. Groups of girls shouldnt stay here as walking alone at night could be intimidating. Overall, a decent enough hostel for 13 euros a night, but be very careful.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Klagenfurt, Austria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

There were bedbugs in our beds!!
We had a lot of bits after a three night-stay there and at home we had to call the pest control (crop spraying) to clean our luggage (we paid 240 €). We talked to other guests who had the same problem and some of them had even more bits.
Appart from that, we there was also pigeon excrement on the floor, in our room and on one of the beds. The pigeons ate our bread which we kept in our room during the day. The kitchen is not clean at all and you just have a few dishes.
WIFI just works from 9am to 6pm, when every tourist is outside of the hostel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

I have travelled quite a lot and have stayed in many hostels before. I am not picky AT ALL, but I have to say that this hostel is really the most disgusting hostel I have been to. I stayed in a room upstairs with 6 beds and a bathroom. Beds were broken and they produced loud noises at the slightest movements. One of the ladders was broken so it was hard for people to climb up to their beds. This place was noisy with traffics and people screaming on the streets so it was impossible to sleep at night. There was a shower room in my room, but it was small, filthy and smelly. Toilets were outside the room, and there was no sink so that was unhygienic.

The worst thing of all, BED BUGS! I felt something crawling on my skin when I was trying to sleep. It was dark so I couldn't see anything and thought it was just mosquitoes. The next morning, I woke up and saw some well-fed bed bugs crawling on my bed! In the afternoon, my whole body started itching and wheals started appearing all over my body! That was just the second day of my trip and this had completely ruined everything! I made a complaint at the desk and the guy at the desk asked to talk to the boss the next morning, and I changed to another room downstairs which looked more pleasant but without bathroom. There was a common bathroom and a common toilet outside the room but they were locked! WTH! So I had to go upstairs to use the bathroom and the toilet every single time!

The next morning, I waited quite long for the boss to show up- it was an unfriendly lady who didn't speak English. His worker translated what I said to her, and she gave me 10 euro and asked me to go to any pharmacy to get some medications. I did, and it actually cost more than that. Before I left the hostel, I told the guy that he had to do something about the bed bugs to save other people from being bitten; he pointed at the ladg boss and said indifferently "That is not my problem." I should have asked for a full refund.

It has been four days since I discovered the bed bugs bites and my body is still itching like crazy. Red wheals are everywhere, yes everywhere, including on my face and my neck, and I look like a freak with some contagious skin disease. My summer trip is ruined because of this stupid hostel! I thought I was just unlucky to get a bed with bed bugs, but after reading other reviews, I can say that this is some kind of serious infestation! This hostel is cheap, but totally not worth paying a single cent for it! You are better off staying in the airport or paying more to stay in a cleaner place. Not worth saving that little money and have bad things happen to you later on. I hope this place will be DESTROYED soon or be taken over by some more responsible people! I can't even put in words how much I hate this hostel! Please guys, do yourself a favour, DO NOT book any room in this hostel, DO NOT consider at all! There is not a single good thing about this hostel! Stay away or you will regret your decision later!

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

We needed somewhere cheap to stay before leaving for our flight the next morning to Rome and I swear I wished I had of listened to the reviews....
Location: it was possibly the most sketchiest place I have EVER been in. There were gang like people outside that tried to chat you up as you walked,we saw a guy steal something then proceed to get chased by police, so many people were selling phones on the side of the road that were clearly pick pocketed.i was actually scared, look after your belongings...
room: BEDBUGS!!!! Dirty dirty dirty room I felt so unwell being in there, the smell was horrendous also. for a 5 person dorm we could barely squeeze between the two sets of bunks.
staff: despite negative reviews thy were helpful to us. The guy came out with us at 5 am to help us catch a taxi because we were too scared to walk into the neighborhood at such a bad time in the morning.

just go somewhere else. don't stay here.

Melbourne australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

This place was the most terrible place I have ever stayed at. I wish I went on trip advisor before I booked.

My partner and I stayed in a 5 person room the first night and we were interrupted all night by people screaming running through the hall and banging on our door.

They double booked that room on our second night so we got a private room, which we were happy until we walked in there and got this horrible b/o smell and then saw how unclean the apparently just 'cleaned' room was.... topping it off a broken shower. We woke up early the next morning with BED BUGS all over the bed quickly packed our stuff and got the hell out of there.

Honestly this place shouldn't even be somewhere to stay it's disgusting. I wouldn't feel safe around that area if I were alone.

Brussels, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I have travelled for 4 months as a backpacker and I have visited many hostels during this time, some of them were really good and some not, but.......BELIEVE ME!!!! FRIENDS HOSTEL HAS BEEN THE WORST HOSTEL I STAYED IN IN MY LIFE!!!!!

The only positive thing is that the metro is in front of the hostel and it is cheap...but ....pay attention to the negative points!!!

People in the area is very strange and noisy at nights...you can hear perfectly during the night the train, cars and people shouting....

The hostel is the most dirty place I have ever seen. Common wc and showers are disgusting. If you want to change your clothes you cant leave your stuff anywhere...and of course the floor is wet and sometimes it is sticky. ..

I slept in a small room for 6 people..we had a tiny shower inside the room and it was completely dirty (the walls, ceiling, it was so disgusting have to touch the doors to open the shower)and there was no hot water!!!! Of course when you go out of the shower the floor is flooded...

There's no security in this place. I stayed there for two nights and both of them, a man (who said that came from London), that seemed to be crazy (he wore a bike helmet and carried a big suitcase) and smelled awful appeared and disappeared from our room at 3 / 4 am making noise, and speaking and laughing with himself....my roommates and me were really scared!!!!!!!!

And my last surprise......THERE WERE BED BUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This made my visit to Paris so uncomfortable because I had thousands of bites along my body and I couldnt stop scratching...I couldnt beared with the terrible stinging even in my feet and my palms!!!!!

Other roommates told that they could hear a mice....

So.....I DONT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO NOBODY. Its better to pay a little more and go to a respectable place and, all above, healthy.

• Stayed June 2014

Been to Friend's Hostel? Share your experiences!