“Most awful, disgusting hostel ever!” 1 of 5 stars

Friend's Hostel
122 Boulevard de la Chapelle | 18th Arr., 75018 Paris, France (Montmartre)   |
Ranked #94 of 115 Specialty lodging in Paris
Oudenburg, Belgium
“Most awful, disgusting hostel ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

FRIENDS hostel is the most afwul, disgusting hostel you can imagine!!!!

This for the following reasons:

1. The hostel is located in a very bad, dangerous neighbourhood. We saw a lot of drugdealing during day and nighttime.

2. The hostel is not hygienic at all!!!!
The walls of our room were full of mold (see attachment);
the matresses were covered with mold;
they didn't clean the sheets and blankets, these were full of stains and hair;
they didn't clean the room because there were still leftovers of food and drinks of the previous travellers;
the window didn't close well;
the sink in the bathroom was broken;

They charged us 91 euro for this disgusting room!
Unbelievable!!!!!!

We tried to negotiate with the staff, after i told them to go and check the room, they told me i was right and that they would never want to sleep in a room like that. But they couldn't do anything... so they told me....!!!! This place is run by crooks who want to earn a lot of money with the most inhuman rooms!

I met a few other travellers in the hostel, they told me that their belongings were stolen during the night, they had cockroaches in the room....

Room Tip: Do not book a room in this hostel!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

191 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Do not stay here. Upon entering the crowded hostel lobby, our group of 5 was given 1 key and our knapsacks were thrown into a ghetto storage room. The different coloured neon walls are a poor attempt at making the place seem friendly. The room we stayed in consisted of bunk beds with missing rungs and messed sheets with hair. There was a large sticky mouse trap under the heater and someone left their vanilla pudding on the sink. The room was absolutely freezing at night. The staff were neither friendly nor helpful. The one positive thing about this place was its proximity to the subway, that is, after you walk by all the sketchy drug dealers that wait outside.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Oloron-Sainte-Marie, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

If you are looking for a hostel in Paris on a budget, do not even consider this place. Why? Allow me to explain.

-Upon arriving and as one of the first of my group (a group of 8) I immediately learned that there was only 1 key for every room. The guy at the front desk also encouraged me to leave the key with him so that I might not lose it. Were this a half reputable place I might understand that but I suspected perhaps ulterior motives (my suspicions were later at least semi-justified when I learned a fellow guest of the hostel had all of her personal effects stolen.) The atmosphere right outside the door is a bit of a tip off with numerous guys shouting at you trying to sell counterfeit cigarettes. There wasn't even one time when I stepped outside where I wasn't met with shouts of "MARLBORO MARLBORO! DES GENS! MARLBORO!"

-The room I stayed in had 2 bunk beds, a sink, a window and only 1 functioning light out of 2. It also looked like it hadn't been cleaned for a few days. Again, how I wish I was wrong. As I was falling asleep on the first night I smelled the unmistakable scent of sweaty body odor. I knew it couldn't have been me as I had literally just washed all of my clothes that morning at a laundromat. It was my blanket, supplied by the hostel; unwashed. When I complained the next morning at the desk the clerk was initially unhelpful and said there was nothing he could do. After seeing how angry and frustrated I was he gave me the key to another room and told me to switch blankets. So some poor unlucky sap will now be in the same situation I was. Astounding.

-The icing on the proverbial turd cake however was on the last night of our stay, while I was sitting on my bunk contemplating how a sad series of events led me to this abomination of a hostel when all of the sudden I saw a mouse scooting along the baseboards under my bags. I immediately went to the front desk and confronted the clerk, he came with me back to the room, didn't see the mouse and told me that it had probably gotten out of the room. Unhappy and frustrated I resigned myself to wait for the return of the rest of my travel companions to discuss our options when I saw the mouse again. This time crawling around in the lower bunk, in my friends clothes. I lost it, I began shouting, swearing and kicking the bed. I was furious, I went to get the clerk again and this time he saw the mouse. He immediately grabbed my friend's boot and tried to hammer the animal into oblivion, to no avail. Another staff member poked his head in the door and began taunting me and my companions, jeering us that we shouldn't be afraid of a little mouse and there was in fact a mouse in EVERY room. Comforting. Evidently he was absent from the history lesson explaining the effects of the plague, in which ~50% of Europe's population died due to a disease transmitted by vermin. ie: Rats, Mice etc.

They weren't willing to do a damn thing about it so my friends and I decided to cut our losses and we moved ALL of our things on foot to a different nearby hostel. Which by comparison seemed like the Ritz. The whole experience was a nightmare and I truly and sincerely hope "Friend's" hostel get's condemned for being unsanitary and unfit for human habitation. Sure the cost is bottom of the barrel but there are basic necessities that need to be met.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Bordeaux, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Don't go there. It's in a dodgy neighborhood, and there are constantly dodgy looking guys outside. I stayed here with a group for a few days and on our last night we actually decided to leave, lose our money and find a cleaner, friendlier hostel. The entire place is dirty, the kitchen was so disgusting that wouldn't have even considered using it and there is 1 shower and 2 toilets for the entire hostel. The breakfast they say they offer for 1 euro is actually just you buying a coffee from the machine for 1 euro and them handing you a pain au chocolat that they've pulled out of their desk draw! There is wifi, but only between 9 and 5, and barely then. However the icing on the cake for us was that on our last night in the hostel we found a mouse in the room. We complained to the owners and their idea of a solution was to try and kill it using our possessions. When they couldn't find the mouse they told us that it's no big deal there's a mouse in everyroom!!! needless to say we actually left the hostel, lost some money and found a clean hostel without vermin.

Room Tip: Do not stay here, pick another hostel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Dear travellers. If you are reading this, and have in mind to stay in this hostel, go away.

I've been in Paris in feb 2013 and we found this hostel as the cheaper of hostelworld. Bad idea. I've read others reviews here and didn't give trouble, but maan!

For start: the localization. Near from a metro station, but the area is dangerous. A lot of people in street, strange people, noisy. I had fear to walk in the area.

Ok. I travelled with my gf for 3 dys to Paris, a budget trip, so we decided do stay in a 4 people room in Friends hostel. For start, there are no locker in the room. U need to give to recepcionist. In other side, there was a really strange guy in our room, a french guy, he was living there for a long time. My gf thought no trouble, we always stay in hostel. But in the middle of the night, she started to hear sounds, strange sounds. The guy was masturbating himself with my gf in the room. We tryed to change the room, but when I entered there to see if had forgotten something, to change room, and the same guy that was masturbating in a room with girls, making noise, kicked me when i opened the door. It was a crazy guy and he kicked me in my head. I felt down in a bad an started to scream, the recepcionist, who dont speak english and was sleeping, entered an the guy assumed that kicked me on the face. I wanted my money back and would leave that place an the same night. How a hostel, a decent hostel permit a guy like that to sleep there? Woth girls?

But the recepcionist sai me to wait the owner of the place arrives, at 9am. It was 4am when happened the episode. Waiting there was horrible, me and my gf were scared. Finally, when the owner arrives, a ganancist woman, botox face, said that she didnt belivied in me, and told us that we were lying.

We thought to call the Police, but the train do London was in the next day, and we didnt wanted to screw our trip. The hostel devolved just one night of our stay(the total was 3) and even my gf cries in front of that woman, she just was ganancious and poor heart.

It was a really bad experience.

Do never stay there, really.

Vh

• Stayed February 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

By far the worst place I ever stayed in. It's in a dismal neighbourhood with a large crowd of dodgy looking guys constantly outside the hostel.
The dorm we booked into was a garage/shed type building at the rear of the courtyard/common area. The smell when we opened the door was putrid. The bathroom was miniscule and filthy. We made a swift exit to go sightseeing.
After exploring the city and returning back to the hostel for the evening, the smell of the room was still as pungent as ever and it was ridiculously warm. Our room now also had a new resident - a rat. We called him Charles. We decided it would be best to sit in the courtyard all night (from 12 til our train at 7am) as there was no chance we were sleeping in our room. 2 girls had the same idea as us so we stayed in the courtyard talking. Another person joined us in the courtyard and told us he'd been mugged by the gang outside the hostel and that the receptionist told him there was nothing he could do. At around 2am we were told we had to go to our beds by said receptionist. We told him there was a rat in our room to which he replied "I know". We eventually retired to the room around 4 or 5am.

I travel on a budget and usually book the cheapest hostels and try to make do - but I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. It will ruin your stay in Paris. Try Vintage Hostel nearby. It's only an extra 10 euros or so a night and it's near hotel standard.

If I could award this 0/5 I would not hesitate to.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Ljubljana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I was staying in this hostel last week for 3 nights. I payed 16 euros per night. I expected very bad hostel. True, location is not the best (in the poor district), but safe. Hostel is very colorful, i liked that a lot, there is no lock out. The only thing is that wifi is available only during the day (till 18pm). There is a common courtyard, clean kitchen, showers and toilets. Room was ok, but small. You can't expect bigger place, if you go to a hostel. The metro station is just across the road, there is Mcdonalds, grocery shop .. I think I would go there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Friend's Hostel? Share your experiences!