“"There's a mouse in every room"” 1 of 5 stars

Friend's Hostel
122 Boulevard de la Chapelle | 18th Arr., 75018 Paris, France (Montmartre)   |
Ranked #98 of 119 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Bordeaux, France
“"There's a mouse in every room"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Don't go there. It's in a dodgy neighborhood, and there are constantly dodgy looking guys outside. I stayed here with a group for a few days and on our last night we actually decided to leave, lose our money and find a cleaner, friendlier hostel. The entire place is dirty, the kitchen was so disgusting that wouldn't have even considered using it and there is 1 shower and 2 toilets for the entire hostel. The breakfast they say they offer for 1 euro is actually just you buying a coffee from the machine for 1 euro and them handing you a pain au chocolat that they've pulled out of their desk draw! There is wifi, but only between 9 and 5, and barely then. However the icing on the cake for us was that on our last night in the hostel we found a mouse in the room. We complained to the owners and their idea of a solution was to try and kill it using our possessions. When they couldn't find the mouse they told us that it's no big deal there's a mouse in everyroom!!! needless to say we actually left the hostel, lost some money and found a clean hostel without vermin.

Room Tip: Do not stay here, pick another hostel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Dear travellers. If you are reading this, and have in mind to stay in this hostel, go away.

I've been in Paris in feb 2013 and we found this hostel as the cheaper of hostelworld. Bad idea. I've read others reviews here and didn't give trouble, but maan!

For start: the localization. Near from a metro station, but the area is dangerous. A lot of people in street, strange people, noisy. I had fear to walk in the area.

Ok. I travelled with my gf for 3 dys to Paris, a budget trip, so we decided do stay in a 4 people room in Friends hostel. For start, there are no locker in the room. U need to give to recepcionist. In other side, there was a really strange guy in our room, a french guy, he was living there for a long time. My gf thought no trouble, we always stay in hostel. But in the middle of the night, she started to hear sounds, strange sounds. The guy was masturbating himself with my gf in the room. We tryed to change the room, but when I entered there to see if had forgotten something, to change room, and the same guy that was masturbating in a room with girls, making noise, kicked me when i opened the door. It was a crazy guy and he kicked me in my head. I felt down in a bad an started to scream, the recepcionist, who dont speak english and was sleeping, entered an the guy assumed that kicked me on the face. I wanted my money back and would leave that place an the same night. How a hostel, a decent hostel permit a guy like that to sleep there? Woth girls?

But the recepcionist sai me to wait the owner of the place arrives, at 9am. It was 4am when happened the episode. Waiting there was horrible, me and my gf were scared. Finally, when the owner arrives, a ganancist woman, botox face, said that she didnt belivied in me, and told us that we were lying.

We thought to call the Police, but the train do London was in the next day, and we didnt wanted to screw our trip. The hostel devolved just one night of our stay(the total was 3) and even my gf cries in front of that woman, she just was ganancious and poor heart.

It was a really bad experience.

Do never stay there, really.

Vh

• Stayed February 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

By far the worst place I ever stayed in. It's in a dismal neighbourhood with a large crowd of dodgy looking guys constantly outside the hostel.
The dorm we booked into was a garage/shed type building at the rear of the courtyard/common area. The smell when we opened the door was putrid. The bathroom was miniscule and filthy. We made a swift exit to go sightseeing.
After exploring the city and returning back to the hostel for the evening, the smell of the room was still as pungent as ever and it was ridiculously warm. Our room now also had a new resident - a rat. We called him Charles. We decided it would be best to sit in the courtyard all night (from 12 til our train at 7am) as there was no chance we were sleeping in our room. 2 girls had the same idea as us so we stayed in the courtyard talking. Another person joined us in the courtyard and told us he'd been mugged by the gang outside the hostel and that the receptionist told him there was nothing he could do. At around 2am we were told we had to go to our beds by said receptionist. We told him there was a rat in our room to which he replied "I know". We eventually retired to the room around 4 or 5am.

I travel on a budget and usually book the cheapest hostels and try to make do - but I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. It will ruin your stay in Paris. Try Vintage Hostel nearby. It's only an extra 10 euros or so a night and it's near hotel standard.

If I could award this 0/5 I would not hesitate to.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Ljubljana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I was staying in this hostel last week for 3 nights. I payed 16 euros per night. I expected very bad hostel. True, location is not the best (in the poor district), but safe. Hostel is very colorful, i liked that a lot, there is no lock out. The only thing is that wifi is available only during the day (till 18pm). There is a common courtyard, clean kitchen, showers and toilets. Room was ok, but small. You can't expect bigger place, if you go to a hostel. The metro station is just across the road, there is Mcdonalds, grocery shop .. I think I would go there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Berlin, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Worst hostel ever. I travel a lot, usually on a tight budget, so I've stayed in at least fifty hostels in Europe (and New York, the only non-European city where I've stayed in hostels), and this place is barely fit for habitation.

Where to start. The free wifi cuts out at 6pm. They’re supposed to have cards to sell wifi access for the evenings but they didn’t have any and didn’t know why or when they would have them again. They also couldn’t make change when I checked in – they literally had none whatsoever. Maybe they should consider just not accepting cash as a form of payment if they don’t carry a float, but unfortunately it’s just the opposite: cash is the ONLY form of payment they accept. They did not clean my room during the day, although everyone staying in it was gone. The bathroom was already horribly dirty when I arrived and just got worse, and worse, hair and water everywhere. The toilet was not clean, but the floors and sink were the worst. The floor was so wet, from the time I checked in until the moment I checked out, that you could not walk on it without shoes. I was afraid to use the shower. When confronted about the fact that the bathroom had obviously not been cleaned at all (and it hadn't - I was the last person to leave and the first to return, so it should have been clean upon my return and it wasn't!), the staff person, who could not speak French or English (just Spanish), denied it and obviously could not have cared less. Another guest in the same room said later that she had tried the same thing and was also met with rudeness. The bedding was old and dirty. There are no pillows. Each room has only one electric outlet. It was unheated, except for a plug-in heater, but if we used that, then no one could charge a phone or laptop. There are no lights by the beds. There is only one key per room, and no lockers. There is a room where the staff will put your things, if you trust them. I didn’t; they seemed both sketchy and incompetent. And to top it off, the neighbourhood is super sketchy. I left the metro to the shouts of men hollering at me and every other woman passing by, groups of them clustered on the street corners to try to grab your body or purse as you walk by, the rest of them yelling their own version of whatever it was. The only thing like a common room is a tiny room with four tables, seven chairs, and no space whatsoever. This is where people go to access the wifi, when it’s available.

Do not stay here!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Regensburg, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

This Hostel is small, people from the front desk and the guy who cleans are super rude and often not at all friendly.

The place looks dirty, the tap in the kitchen was broken, the bathroom was small and the shower water does not heat sometimes.

This area has a fair that runs all day, where they sell everything, just throw a towel on the floor and there they are ready. The day I arrived I saw a fight between two sellers, the street looks like hell and you always have the feeling that any moment you will be robbed. During the night the area is very quiet, but the night before I leave, I also saw another fight on the same street between sellers. Crazy!! Thanks God I had only 3 days in this hostel, never again!!!

• Stayed August 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

Having seen the bad reviews, i was very apprehensive about staying in this place and the area. However once having a look around the area it is no different to any inner city suburb and it extremely close to the metro! The hostel is basic but if your expecting 5* luxury (like some people on here) then dont even bother going travelling the world. You meet loads of other travellers here from America, Brazil and the UK etc. Staff helpful and very relaxing atmosphere.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Friend's Hostel? Share your experiences!