“HEED THIS WARNING.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #98 of 121 Specialty lodging in Paris
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“HEED THIS WARNING.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

By far the worst place I ever stayed in. It's in a dismal neighbourhood with a large crowd of dodgy looking guys constantly outside the hostel.
The dorm we booked into was a garage/shed type building at the rear of the courtyard/common area. The smell when we opened the door was putrid. The bathroom was miniscule and filthy. We made a swift exit to go sightseeing.
After exploring the city and returning back to the hostel for the evening, the smell of the room was still as pungent as ever and it was ridiculously warm. Our room now also had a new resident - a rat. We called him Charles. We decided it would be best to sit in the courtyard all night (from 12 til our train at 7am) as there was no chance we were sleeping in our room. 2 girls had the same idea as us so we stayed in the courtyard talking. Another person joined us in the courtyard and told us he'd been mugged by the gang outside the hostel and that the receptionist told him there was nothing he could do. At around 2am we were told we had to go to our beds by said receptionist. We told him there was a rat in our room to which he replied "I know". We eventually retired to the room around 4 or 5am.

I travel on a budget and usually book the cheapest hostels and try to make do - but I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. It will ruin your stay in Paris. Try Vintage Hostel nearby. It's only an extra 10 euros or so a night and it's near hotel standard.

If I could award this 0/5 I would not hesitate to.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

224 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Ljubljana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I was staying in this hostel last week for 3 nights. I payed 16 euros per night. I expected very bad hostel. True, location is not the best (in the poor district), but safe. Hostel is very colorful, i liked that a lot, there is no lock out. The only thing is that wifi is available only during the day (till 18pm). There is a common courtyard, clean kitchen, showers and toilets. Room was ok, but small. You can't expect bigger place, if you go to a hostel. The metro station is just across the road, there is Mcdonalds, grocery shop .. I think I would go there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Berlin, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Worst hostel ever. I travel a lot, usually on a tight budget, so I've stayed in at least fifty hostels in Europe (and New York, the only non-European city where I've stayed in hostels), and this place is barely fit for habitation.

Where to start. The free wifi cuts out at 6pm. They’re supposed to have cards to sell wifi access for the evenings but they didn’t have any and didn’t know why or when they would have them again. They also couldn’t make change when I checked in – they literally had none whatsoever. Maybe they should consider just not accepting cash as a form of payment if they don’t carry a float, but unfortunately it’s just the opposite: cash is the ONLY form of payment they accept. They did not clean my room during the day, although everyone staying in it was gone. The bathroom was already horribly dirty when I arrived and just got worse, and worse, hair and water everywhere. The toilet was not clean, but the floors and sink were the worst. The floor was so wet, from the time I checked in until the moment I checked out, that you could not walk on it without shoes. I was afraid to use the shower. When confronted about the fact that the bathroom had obviously not been cleaned at all (and it hadn't - I was the last person to leave and the first to return, so it should have been clean upon my return and it wasn't!), the staff person, who could not speak French or English (just Spanish), denied it and obviously could not have cared less. Another guest in the same room said later that she had tried the same thing and was also met with rudeness. The bedding was old and dirty. There are no pillows. Each room has only one electric outlet. It was unheated, except for a plug-in heater, but if we used that, then no one could charge a phone or laptop. There are no lights by the beds. There is only one key per room, and no lockers. There is a room where the staff will put your things, if you trust them. I didn’t; they seemed both sketchy and incompetent. And to top it off, the neighbourhood is super sketchy. I left the metro to the shouts of men hollering at me and every other woman passing by, groups of them clustered on the street corners to try to grab your body or purse as you walk by, the rest of them yelling their own version of whatever it was. The only thing like a common room is a tiny room with four tables, seven chairs, and no space whatsoever. This is where people go to access the wifi, when it’s available.

Do not stay here!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Regensburg, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

This Hostel is small, people from the front desk and the guy who cleans are super rude and often not at all friendly.

The place looks dirty, the tap in the kitchen was broken, the bathroom was small and the shower water does not heat sometimes.

This area has a fair that runs all day, where they sell everything, just throw a towel on the floor and there they are ready. The day I arrived I saw a fight between two sellers, the street looks like hell and you always have the feeling that any moment you will be robbed. During the night the area is very quiet, but the night before I leave, I also saw another fight on the same street between sellers. Crazy!! Thanks God I had only 3 days in this hostel, never again!!!

• Stayed August 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

Having seen the bad reviews, i was very apprehensive about staying in this place and the area. However once having a look around the area it is no different to any inner city suburb and it extremely close to the metro! The hostel is basic but if your expecting 5* luxury (like some people on here) then dont even bother going travelling the world. You meet loads of other travellers here from America, Brazil and the UK etc. Staff helpful and very relaxing atmosphere.

• Stayed August 2012
Jakarta, Indonesia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Stayed here with couple of friends last week. I've read and know that i should be careful when staying here - but what there was a huge gap in between what i read and what i experience.

1. Location
It is located right in front of the metro Barbes Rochecourt - theoritically, it is nice to have a hotel right infront of the metro station. NOT ! the area itself, though it was close to Sacre coeur and Moulin Rouge, it was kind of a Bronx area. So immediately infront of the metro station you would see scary people trying to scam you off and also pick pockets !

2. Staff
During my stay there, i found only 1 nice and helpful staff - Nasim. Others are not so helpful - they just simply being there only for presence.

3. Facilities
We had a room for 12, 1 room for 6 and another room for 4. Room for 12 is located next to the warehouse - which all the girls are staying in. The room was equipped with AC (which needs to be fixed, you can only feel the air, but not the chill). Minimum standard of hostel. Beds are nearly broken...or broken already.

4. Cleanliness
This was worst. They cleaned up the room, emptied the trash bins on daily basis, however, it is impossible to keep the floor of the bath room totally dry. After being used by 12 ladies at night, in the morning, we found small worm like creatures crawling on the floor. We complained - then they clean it, then it happened again the next morning. This happened only to this particular room. So try avoiding it. We arrived at the hostel right after they had BBQ party I think – and when we got to the room, our room was smelly !

5. Ambience
Be prepared to meet drunkards in their common area - as the common area was actually open up to 10 or 12. Most of them would be drinking and having fun – sometimes too much fun, and loud. Probably we were just there at the wrong season. Also, they’re turning off lights in the corridor – which then is making the corridor and hallway totally dark – not nice when you had to go out or coming back late.

Verdict – if you’re looking for cheap and strategic lodgings, this is probably okay for you. But if you’re a woman solo traveler, or travelling with only females group… just avoid this place.

Room Tip: Don’t take the room at the ground floor – or the 12 beds dorm.