“Great Hotel, but watch out for being mugged!!” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Andre Gill
4 Rue Andre Gill, Paris 18eme, Paris, France (Montmartre)   |
Ranked #708 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
Reading, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel, but watch out for being mugged!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

The hotel was fantastic for its price and star rating. The bedrooms were clean, beds comfy and bathroom facilities great. The staff were incredibly friendly, also happy to help and offer advice with local restaurants and travel.

The only issue I had which I think everyone must be aware of, on my first night I was mugged along the main road by the hotel (next to the McDonald's, ironically)! The man pushed me to the floor and grabbed my neck ripping my necklace from me and causing me to break my ankle. Apparently this isn't a freak accident, there is a large population of Romanian Gypsies within this area! This all happened within a split second there wasn't anything anyone could do unfortunately. My only advice is to make sure jewelry isn't visible and try to stay in groups.

The hospital is only 10 euros in a taxi so don't listen to the locals who advise you to take the metro, especially with a broken limb! The area is wonderful, arty and cultured I just really hope this doesn't happen again so I thought I would make as many people aware as I can!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights 25th may-29th May can't praise it enough for a budget hotel . The staff were extremely friendly and helpful the room was extremely clean in fact the bathroom was probably one of the cleanest bathrooms in any hotel we have stayed in . The breakfast was adequate the only downside is the breakfast room was really small but this is been a little bit picky . There is a couple of cats and dogs which never go into the dining area they are adorable . Overall we could highly recommend this hotel for a Bridget hotel we would certainly stay here again if we ever visited this beautiful city .

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

I always rely on reviews seen on tripadvisor,and as always it didnt prove me wrong,all d positive review were right.Jasmine the manager was brilliant,made us all feel at home.the hotel was charming,very clean&always smelt nice.its my 5th time in Paris &this one is by far the best.Would comeback definitely From:Karen,Karol&Lorena stayedMay 22-24

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

I enjoyed my stay here and would highly recommend the hotel. Room was clean and the hotel was conveniently located. Staff was very friendly and I was able to get by with speaking very little French. Breakfast simple but good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Southport, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I've visited Paris a few times now, and usually opt to stay in an apartment, but as this trip was rather more last minute than my usual military style planning, we decided a hotel would be the cheaper and easier option. Choosing the area to stay wasn't hard, and after reading a couple of other reviews, Hotel Andre Gill stood out as the clear winner.
Literally a 3 minute walk from Pigalle metro station, the hotel is tucked away off Rue des Martyrs. A lovely gentleman on reception checked us in and told us everything we needed to know for our stay. Our room was on the third floor, the lift is probably big enough for two people with bags, but my fear of spiral staircases and my friends fear of enclosed spaces meant we usually travelled up to our room separately.
The room was comfortable and had everything we needed. The ladies who came to clean our room every day did a fantastic job, we aren't the neatest people so it was always nice to come back and find our beds made and all our junk tidied away.
Breakfast was simple bread and croissants, but I don't really want any more than that. As a hater of hot drinks, I enjoyed my very first hot chocolate at breakfast, I even felt like a bit of a native giving advice to other guests about how to get around and the best places to visit.
The staff were wonderful and helped us whenever we had questions, they also let us leave our bags with them on our last day which proved an enormous help.
I don't really know what else to say, I'm a hotel convert. I would recommend Hotel Andre Gill to any of my friends, and to anyone else that is visiting Paris and doesn't require a 5 star luxury experience. I only got back yesterday and I'm already trying to plan my next visit.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 32 which was a twin. The window opened out onto Rue Andre Gill, it was never reall...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We stayed with 4 adults and 2 children. The rooms and bedding were basic but clean, location was good.

Very noisy at night due to the nightclubs, but it is in central Montmarte. Very basic breakfast and we chose to eat elsewhere.

Kids loved the 2 resident dogs and cats.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hotel Andre Gill for two nights. I arrived at the hotel very early in the morning, and they allowed me to stay in the lobby and wait until my boyfriend had arrived. The staff was personable and sweet. They were very concerned about whether we were enjoying our stay, and were happy to give us some tips about what to see and where to eat. I would come back and stay at this hotel again. It is not very fancy, but it is clean and in a very central area. The staff made all of the difference in this small hotel, their friendly attitude and charm made for a wonderful experience.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Andre Gill? Share your experiences!