“good accommodation let down by appalling customer care” 3 of 5 stars

Lucky Youth
Siege Social 26, Rue des Rigoles, 75020 Paris, France (Belleville)   |
Ranked #50 of 120 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Malasiqui, Philippines
“good accommodation let down by appalling customer care”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

oh my goodness, what to say, not the sort to usually write negative reviews but really felt I had to say something. a beautiful apartment with everything in place for a good experience. let down completely by appalling management which messed around guests, double booked and suggested sharing sofa beds with total strangers for a 'discounted rate' as a solution to their double booking.

This all in addition to hostel staff who burst into the room between 1am-3am every night without fail to either wake everyone up, ruin the pre-drinking vibes or argue appallingly with guests they had messed over with various levels of double booking. I have honestly never heard or witnessed a worse example of customer care then this and was pretty shocked at the unprovoked abuse being thrown at a lone American traveller 'are you American? because you Americans think the world owes you something, you should be grateful you have a roof over your head' this is all after they had messed up her stay with a double booking. all in all, pretty shocked. perhaps if there hadn't been so much drama in my room at this time the stay would have been more positive. I would recommend this as a good party hostel where you enjoy surreal experiences but don't expect any professionalism from the staff.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

So this will be a quick review but I had to mention that my time at Lucky Youth was a great experience. Despite some confusion regarding check AND losing my key both hosts were extremely helpful and friendly. I had a 2 hour long conversation with them regarding society, the country, etc. The room was reminiscent of a fun, friendly & clean college dorm. The people that I met while there were just as friendly. Whether traveling on your own or with a few friends I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

Usually I don't review to many accommodations but I feel like I should give people a heads up. I booked online via the Lucky Youth Website for a total of three nights. I received a confirmation email (Only after emailing them again) that I did have accommodation for the three nights. Upon arriving in Paris and following the arrival instructions I made the phone call and to my surprise the receptionist told me that I had booked to last minute and was only given a bed for the night. Very frustrating finding accommodation last minute while also being confirmed for the three nights. I ended up staying at St.Christopher’s Inn thankfully. Personally I wouldn't recommend this accommodation after my experience.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

This hostel is really awesome. Definitely recommend this place and would go back to this place when I return to Paris. The staff are really enthusiastic. We had the apartment on the 14th floor which had an amazing view. Really good place, awesome people, awesome times, many a tim tam was slammed

Room Tip: Floor 14 is the business, great view.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

Lucky Youth is awesome! It's not like your every day hostel- all the rooms are apartments, which is a really neat concept. That means you get all the perks of staying in an apartment- your own kitchen, fridge, microwave, etc, and also your own bathroom (that's not necessarily trafficked by countless travellers). There's also a computer in the room that's free to use, as well as reliable wifi. Another great thing is that since you only stay in the one apartment, you don't feel like you're lost in a huge hostel with tons of anonymous people!

I got to stay on the 14th floor of the building (which is literally right next to the Montparnasse Bienvenue Metro station), and the view was amazing and I saw a beautiful sunrise over Paris from the apartment. Also, the staff who greeted me were amazing! Niels and Eloise were so friendly and helpful in getting me situated. They were very generous and I am so grateful they were able to accommodate me in a difficult situation. Eloise is so sweet, we chatted for a long time and she helped me make my bed haha :) Thanks so much for everything! Wish I could have stayed longer, I highly recommend them!

Room Tip: Try to book the room on the 14th floor- the view is fantastic!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

I have heard many times that a good hostel can make a trip, regardless of what city it’s in. Sadly, I’m writing to say the reverse is also true, as I have just discovered.

Over the past 4 months I have stayed in approximately 15-20 hostels and I have never had an issue with any of them to such an extent that I felt compelled to write a review. I often recommend hostels I enjoy to fellow travelers and I enjoy supporting those businesses.

Paris is a location that is on almost everyone’s to-see list in Europe, and I honestly did enjoy most of the attractions. However, my interactions with the staff of Lucky Youth were so stressful that the enjoyment of my entire trip was overshadowed.

One major problem I have with the hostel are their unethical business practices, primarily the website failing to accurately portray the accommodation. Despite what the website says, the “dorms” and “doubles” were connected, meaning those in the double had to share a kitchenette (with no working stove) and single bathroom with those in the dorms. The 30 euro prices on the site are also inaccurate; the dorm I stayed in cost around 44 euro a night—almost double of any other hostel I’ve stayed in.

I called the Lucky Youth hostel and asked for a room for 4 nights, while noting that I would arrive after 8p.m., as per the website’s request. When I asked if that would be a problem, they said ‘no’ and told me to call a number when I arrive at the train station—no mention of an additional fee. When I arrived at the station around 10:00pm, I called and was told I would have to wait 25 minutes maximum. About 50 minutes later I called again and was told I would be picked up in 5 minutes (hardly the “no loss of holiday time” written on the website). After arriving to the room I was told that I also owed an additional 15 euro for being checked in after 8p.m.— a rate that was lowered to 10 euros due to my wait time. When I protested saying that I wasn’t aware of the charge, they said it was prominently stated on the website and in the reservation confirmation e-mail. Fair enough, if I missed the fee on my own, then I’ll pay. When I looked for the fee’s description from these sources, it was not present and I was told since the fee was never mentioned to me, I wouldn’t have to pay it. A day later I was informed by the staff that I would have to pay the fee again because it was written on the small scroll bar next to the reservation booking page about ¾ of the way down after you request the room. To be completely honest, I am unconvinced the line was not added after the fact due to the excessive time it took them to bring this to my attention. My argument with them was never about them money, but it was about the principal of it being ethically dubious for businesses to tack on hidden fees to already one of the most expensive hostels in the world. This fee is also not mentioned on hostelbookers.com.

The staff is also plagued by rampant unprofessionalism. In the main rooms of the apartment, there are no free electrical outlets for 8 young travelers to charge phones, cameras, or laptops. In order to charge things, one must unplug something—usually the unused TV or microwave. However, from other travelers I have heard how the staff yells and rants at backpackers for unplugging these devices to try to charge their gadgets. The staff also insults former backpackers for having complaints about the hostel, just as they are likely doing with me right now. Try to count the number of times you hear the “toilet paper” story. The first night I also noticed that I did not have a duvet (comforter) on my bed, so I was forced to use my clothes as a substitute. When I brought this to the staff’s attention, no apology was offered but they said that duvets were in the closet and that I should know where they are stored in a completely unfamiliar town in a random hostel because “you are an adult.”

I honestly could go on and on with complaints, but that’s not the point of this review. I likely can’t convince you to stay elsewhere, especially if you were in my position and needed a hostel when most of Paris was already booked. Just know that the Lucky Youth placed a sour note on my stay in Paris and friends of mine have already decided not to stay there based on my terrible experience.

For the cost of 44 euros a night a hostel should provide everything a traveler could want. For Lucky Youth to not include a working stove, breakfast, more than 1 electrical outlet for 8 tech-savvy travelers, or even sheets is ridiculous.

On the positive side, the apartment does have a nice view and a lot of your fellow backpackers are fun and cool people who had many of the same grievances with the Lucky Youth hostel that I did.

Post script:
I wrote a note attached to my returned key that said I did not want my picture to be used in promotional material for the hostel (the manager took several), this is how they replied which exemplifies their unprofessionalism:

“Hi there! Thanks for you (sic) email but I had not really planned to choose photos on which you are to be honest (sic). I choose only people that I think are cool.”

In short, the Lucky Youth Hostel ruined Paris.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Riva Del Garda, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

I was in Paris for 6 days by myself and was wondering what I was going to do but within one day had met a great group of people, all who were travelling solo as well. Because the hostel is actually just apartments rather than a regular hostel, it was like having new house mates for a week. The perfect way to enjoy a city I think.
Nils and Eloise were both very helpful and enthusiastic. Good to chat to them as they wandered in and out for various reasons.
Definitely recommend Lucky Youth Hostels!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Been to Lucky Youth? Share your experiences!