“Decent, but that's about it” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Altona

You added Hotel Altona to your Saves list
Hotel Altona
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   166 rue du faubourg Poissoniere | 10 Arr., 75010 Paris, France   |
Ranked #1,235 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
Belgrade, Serbia
“Decent, but that's about it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

The room was small, the bathroom tiny but both were kept very clean. The staff was kind, helpful and spoke manageable English. The breakfast could have been better (some variety would have been nice) but even after 8 days of the same rations it was still tasty.

The hotel was in a great location when it comes to public transportation - it's a few minutes away from subway lines 2 and 4, and some 5 to 10 minutes from Gare du Nord railway station. The neighborhood that the hotel is in was a bit shady - there were suspicious-looking people around the subway station even during the day but it turns out that it's just a black market, mostly for cigarettes and a drug neighborhood as I first though.

All in all, my stay was pretty pleasant and worth for money was OK (the hotel was cheap by Paris standards).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Greek first
Prague, Hlavni Mesto Praha, Czech Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed in this hotel with my friend. We booked a room with seperate beds but unfortunatelly, no twin room was available, therefore we took a double room. We appreciated clean shower, comfortable bed, towels were clean every day. The breakfast is quite simple, croisant with butter and marmelade, tee and coffee, but it was ok. It is not far from metro, there are shops in neighbourhood so it is no problem to buy food at 9:00 p.m. I would not probably recommend this hotel for a single woman as sometimes strange guys were hanging around the street but otherwise it is ok for travellers who spend most of the day in Paris town.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Northamptonshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Travelled with friends on a 3 night package including Eurostar at the end of February at a very good price. The hotel was as expected. Noting special but clean and comfortable which is all that is required when you are not intending to spend much time there...We had booked two double rooms but it seems there was a mix up over bookings and one couple had to have a family room initially and then move the next night into a double room which was a little inconvenient but did not spoil the holiday. The staff were very apologetic and grateful we didn't mind too much. Our room had a somewhat unpleasant smell which came from the bathroom but it went away during the stay after we opened the windows so we didn't complain. Bathrooms were very small. Breakfast was adequate but the hot water in flasks for making tea was not hot enough That would not be a difficult thing to improve. The hotel's location was good as it was near to the Gard du Nord making it easy to get around and we found some good eating places within walking distance.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Altona,
Thank you very much for your warm hospitality!
We very enjoyed staying with you! Your service was just great as well as room and breakfast!
Two brother at the reception are the best! Very custom oriented and very polite! We will definitely recommend your hotel to all of our friends and will come back whenever we have chance!

Room Tip: Very friendly and custom oriented staff! Great location and good French breakfast. We were with two...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Eger, Hungary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed here for two nights in February, small 'standard Paris' room. It was pretty clean,and warm. The breakfast was ok, nothing special. The Gare du Nord was a very close, if you like to walk it's a brisk 20 min walk to the Galleries Lafayette and the Metro took you everywhere. All in all for the price we paid it was good value.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Lisbon, Portugal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

It was our first visit in Paris,we choose this hotel because its near in the train station,as we travel by train from amsterdam to Paris,we got lost! the direction was not clear at all! we walked liked more than an hour and it was raining,after a long searched!finally we found it,a big thank you to the man whom we ask and he was very kind that he brought us almost to the door of the hotel!.
Our room was fine,comfortable and it was clean and heating system works fine,but early in the morning we woke up with the noise outside, we thought that its a soundprof room why you can hear everything,people knocking in each other door,people talking in the hall way,.
We were in the 1st floor ,so we dont know if the upper floor ,the sound proff room work at all!

Room Tip: maybe higher floor is a bit quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I booked a single room since Oct of 2012. But when I arrived on24/12/2012, that owner he dumped me into a crapped room. The room is fully different with the room I booked online! It is totally different with ad. That room has no any standard at all! That room is converted from electronic room. You can see half of wall with electronic boards for whole hotel. For health and safety reason, it is not safe to stay in at all. There is no proper bed in that room too! only one board has been put there as bed! Telephone is totally dead! Shower is broken too!that french owner even shamefully asked me to open shower by using wrench! It looks like a place for refugee!!! I asked him to change the proper room twice but he horribly told me that rooms have been fully booked???!!! If fully booked, where is my room then? I booked since Oct! He horribly try to put me into that crapped for 3nights! Those french owners so rubbish and crapped!!!

later night, it was after midnight. The bed, pillows were really uncomfortable. and also that building is really low quality. it is not sound proof at all. when people next door talked, you can hear clearly. and that lift is too old so every time when someone takes lift, that lift makes so huge noise! and also when other rooms' electricity met issues, they will come to this room to checkup due ot in this room, it has all control for all hotel rooms!!! I had been distrubed!!! Because of those reaons, I can't sleep at all!!! (that life even broken on 24/12/2012! Generally speaking, that hotel is full of issues and not a good place for you to stay and sleep!!!)

I went down to the reception due to I feel I don't deserve those crapped things for my first Xmas in Paris!!! I come to Paris for pleasure not for suffering!! There is an India guy there. I told that Indian guy what's happening to me and I can't sleep. That india is very nice person! He changed me into a proper standard safe single room with proper conformtable bed and pillows and also shower!!! generally speaking, he changed me into a 2 start-standard single room as I booked. so actually they can give you proper single room after all !!!! That french owner is so bad, so crapped and so rubbish!!! He was horribly trying to put me into that crapped refugee room for 3nights! (when you really see that room, you will understand how unsafe and crapped room is !!!)

it seems that in order to earn more money, those french owners sell their rooms to people who pay higher price for xmas period. I saw he sold one room for a guy for 65 euro per night. Due to I booked online and early, I only pay around 32pounds per night. Much cheaper! I think it seems the reason why I met this issue!

and the last, when I checked out on 27/12/2012, those french owners even were trying to charge me with high price!!! They were tryting to charge me 10 euro more/per night compared the original price I should pay!!!

Generally speaking, those french owner are greedy and dishonest and with black heart !!! and also their hotel is full of issues and low quality!!!! You can's sleep properly. Not worth for that money at all!!!

I ended up to stay in another hotel which is 2 star hotel too and closer with train station and better safe area. The same price but everything is better quality!!!

Hotel Altona, definitely highly not recommend!!!

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel!!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Altona? Share your experiences!