“Paris for New year” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Cluny Sorbonne

You added Hotel Cluny Sorbonne to your Saves list
Hotel Cluny Sorbonne
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8, rue Victor Cousin | 05 Arr., 75005 Paris, France (Quartier Latin)   |
Ranked #900 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed here with my Husband for 4 nights in November. We both loved the hotel. It's basic but has all of the home comforts you need. The room was very clean and had a view over a lovely old Sorbonne building. The only slight negative was the matress which could have done with being replaced but this didn't impact on my enjoyment of my stay.

We ate breakfast in, the first morning for convenience. It was cheap and more than enough to meet our needs. Coffee, fruit juice, bread and jam.

The price is extrememely competitive as the hotel is slap bang in the middle of the Latin Quarter just off Boulevard Saint Michel - my favourite part of the City. It's also 2 minutes walk away from the direct RER line to CDG airport which makes getting there both cheap and easy even when lugging cases.

The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly and were always welcoming. What I liked is that the door to reception is locked and you have to buzz to gain entry. There's always someone on the front desk to let you in. This made this feel like a very safe and secure place to stay.

I've stayed in many hotels in Paris over the years with this being by far the cheapest. I loved it so much I'm going to book it again for a stay this November. It's nice to see family run hotels like these survive as I'm tried of the bland hotel chains that plague every city you visit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Monroe, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in December. This was our first time in Paris, so we don't have anything to compare this to, but the room was pretty small. There was a decent sized closet, so we were able to put our packs and clothes in there with no problem. As long as the clothes and shoes stayed in the closet, the room size was ok. The bed was pretty comfortable, but was much firmer than what we are used to. There was a window (no view) but we liked the fresh air. The bathroom had a toilet, sink, and shower stall. There was also a small table with 2 chairs and a tv. We weren't able to find any english channels, but it was pretty entertaining watching american cartoons in French.

The only thing that really bothered me about this hotel was the blow dryer that was provided. It looked like it was from 1960. It barely had any heat and air flow. If you are depending on using this to style your hair, I wouldn't. Bring your own!

Overall, this hotel was not fancy at all, but it was clean and in a good location. For the price we paid, it was a good value. However, if we come back to Paris, I think we would spend a little more and stay somewhere nicer (as we discovered that budget travel is really not for us).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

The staff at this hotel are all beyond helpful, they are very friendly, speak great English and make you feel welcome! The location is great for resturaunts and shops, just a 10min walk to Notre Dame, 3mins from pantheon, boulevard saint Michel is very close and a lovely place to eat. It is a long walk to the Eiffel tower and arc du triumph! The room was as expected, basic, bathroom was bigger than expected! Very clean although the furniture was shabby..but thats only furniture! If you wont be spending much time in the hotel, u want a good priced hotel in a good location and don't care about all the fancy extras, this is the place for you! Great for sightseeing!

Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

If you want a cheap room that provides a comfortable bed to sleep in and good location in the Latin Quarter, this is the place to stay. If you want glamor, spend more Euros and stay elsewhere.
The best thing going for this hotel are the people who handle the front desk. They truly went above and beyond the expected to help us deal with some surprise problems we encountered. They are knowledgeable, friendly, willing to speak French and great speaking English and I expect some other languages also, and concerned for each person staying at the hotel.
Location is great and price is hard to beat, in Paris, for any kind of room.
However, don't expect a lot in the room. It was cramped. Room was clean, BUT it was the second room we were given. The first room was extremely moldy and we could not stay in the room at all.
Our fifth floor room faced the courtyard and it was quiet throughout the night, but this was late September and we kept the windows shut trying to stay warm. The elevator is tiny--hard to get two thin adults and two small suitcases in at the same time. There is WiFi, but you need to be in the lobby for it to work. While we were there, no one seemed to be able to connect from any room. Traveling alone and trying to save money, I might stay there again. Traveling as a couple, my wife would kill me if I even suggested it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

It's not fancy, but Hotel Cluny Sorbonne could not be in a better location for exploring the city on foot. It's 5 minutes from the Jardin du Luxembourg, 10 minutes from Ile de la Cite, 15 minutes from Saint-Germain, and 20 minutes from the Marais. The rooms are a bit spare and--as is typical of Paris--tiny, but in a city full of expensive luxury hotels and bare-bones hostels, Hotel Cluny Sorbonne hits the sweet spot of providing comfortable, safe, and miraculously affordable accommodations. Sound does seem to bounce off every wall in this hotel, so you will definitely hear the comings and goings of your neighbors, but this can easily be remedied with a decent pair of earplugs. Definitely consider booking a room here if you're looking for a great value in Paris!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed here for 8 nights. It is a very convenient location within walking distance of many of the sites. The rates are extremely reasonable. The rooms are small but clean. The bathrooms are small but clean. Our room was on the 1st floor so we could use the stairs. There was a small elevator available. We had a room on the courtyard and it was quiet. We could hear people talking or opening doors but for the most part it did not bother us. The staff was extremely nice and helpful and spoke very good english. This hotel does not have air conditioning. I think it would have been really stuffy and uncomfortable in warmer weather. The staff arranged a shuttle for us to go back to CDG airport--it was on time. The only reason I gave it a 4 stars was because the rooms need a bit of updating with paint and new furnishings. I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Cluny Sorbonne? Share your experiences!