“Modern and hip style hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Magenta 38

You added Hotel Magenta 38 to your Saves list
Hotel Magenta 38
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   38 blvd de Magenta, 75010 Paris, France (Formerly Hotel Magenta Paris) (Canal Saint-Martin)   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #644 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
Boulder, Colorado
“Modern and hip style hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

This relatively newer hotel is smartly designed, has a 'hip' atmosphere and very nice rooms. The well approprated lobby has big comfy couches, an outdoor deck and plenty of MAC computers for those need to do internet work. Rooms are well designed and very modern. In a city as old as Paris, it refreshing to stay at a recently renovated hotel. Location is best for those needing to be near Gare L'est or Nord. Otherwise, about 15 minutes by metro to the main attractions along the Seine River. Hotel runs specials on Expedia.com and booking.com. I paid a discounted rate of 105 Euros solo.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

We stayed for three nights here in the first leg of our Europe tour. The choice was based on location, facilities, value for money and tripadvisor reviews. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful and on checking in, we went up to find a large (for Paris) room which was all neatly made up and ready for us. Good start. The clean bathroom was spacious and had all the required facilities. Breakfast was very good. The location, very close to Metro line 5 station (Jacques Bonsergent) and also close to the big stations, Gare de l'Est and Gare du Nord (which is directly connected to CDG airport) was extremely convenient to move around Paris. The immediate surroundings with plenty of eating joints and shops had a very lively atmosphere. We are very happy with the choice we made and we were off to a good start in Europe.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Basel, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

We traveled from Marseille to Paris by train and reached at 11.30 in night.
I had a bad experience of not getting the room booked for me, in previous journey to Paris. This time around it completely changed.
The front desk people were very friendly and co-operative. Check-In Check-Out without any hassle. If asked for any locations, they even provided us with printouts of the map.
The booking was not with Breakfast included hence cannot comment about food.
We had triple room booked. I would say it was that we got wrong room. It was at the top and without any balcony or window on walls. The windows were on the slanting roof. But the view was really amazing. Eiffel, Sacre Core were visible from bathroom. Apart from that it was spacious enough, clean, neat and tidy.
Location of hotel is perfect. Easily reachable by Metro/Bus. A couple of Bus Stops from Gare Du Nord and Gare De L'Est.
All in all very nice Hotel. I would recommend it for sure.

Room Tip: Except room 708 and 706 all others should be okay.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
mumbai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

The hotel is located at a walking distance from the gar du nord metro station. The location though close to the metro..is fast from the touristy side of paris. This could be positive and negative depending on what you want to do in paris.We were visiting Paris for the first time and obviously wanted to see all the attractions...therefore had to take the metro to the tourism office for each of our outings..and would have preferred another location.
The hotel is clean.Absolutely functional.their double room is quite cramped with barely space for one suitcase. Service is average..though we were in the hotel only to sleep and had little need for any kind of service.
A lot of places around to eat..different variety of food.
All in all a satisfactory experience. If we visit paris again we would certainly pick a hotel with a better location.

• Stayed May 2011
Gloucester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

I booked this as a present for my mums birthday and decided to pay a bit more for what I hoped would be a great hotel.
On the whole the hotel was ok, certainly not as good as I had hoped, nothing special. The location was the best thing going for it, only a few mins walk to Gare de L'est. The rooms were fine but didn't look as good as they appear on the internet, extremely small. Had a TV but the signal was dreadful so couldn't watch it. The bathroom was good with power shower and clean white towels. The bed was actually very comfortable. Free safe in rooms (if you dare use, see below), free tea/coffee making facilities.
Breakfast again was ok but they have gone for a modern look rather than comfort. The chairs might be ultra modern but so uncomfortable. Good choice of foods available.
Unfortunately what happened on our last night ruined our trip and the hotel management is appalling. My mum used the safe in her room (we had 2 rooms) and on the last night which was meant to be a special night as it was her birthday, mum put her code in to open the safe and it kept saying error. Went to reception and were told she couldn't leave reception to help until next shift came in 30mins later. Weren't happy but had no choice to wait as all money and cards in safe. Eventually next receptionist came up, leaving desk unmanned, and couldn't do anything to fix it. The previous receptionist just didn't want to help; they work alone 12 hour shifts so they obviously had to leave reception to get drinks or go to toilet etc. He then said he didn't know what to do and when he got chance he would have a think. It was 8.15pm by then and I said it was meant to be a special night but he was not interested. I literally had to wait in reception for ages until he would do anything. I asked him to ring hotel manager and he said he's not in Paris. When I asked what he would do in an emergency, he suddenly couldn't spesk English very well. After hours of waiting around he said he would try the battery, which it was, and it took until 10pm to resolve the problem which ruined our night out.
I know batteries do fail etc that's fine but it was the way it was managed, with the no care attitude that I have a problem with, and there was no apology for ruining my mum's birthday. If they had any conscience, they would of offered to lend us money to go out or offer to refund us our last night, as they ruined it. If this is how they manage problems, I certainly wouldn't recommend this hotel.
I was also really surprised that the hotel did nothing at all for my mum's birthday. They knew about it prior to our arrival; I put banners up in her room, so they couldn't say they didn't know. I have been away for loads of birthday's and every hotel has always done something, however small, even a bottle of wine but nothing at all from Magenta Paris.
Overall Paris was great. but extremely expensive, 5 euros for a soft drink and 7 euros for small beer. The brasserie opposite hotel was great. Brilliant food at great price, well worth a visit.
Did the tour bus over 2 days (the red one), well worth the money and metro was excellent to get around.
Had a nice time but such a shame my mum's birthday was ruined by a poorly run hotel with unfriendly staff. Probably wouldn't return to Paris in a hurry as seen everything and too expensive. If I did I would not choose Magenta Paris as lots of other cheaper hotels looked just as good.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Bridlington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

We came back from the Hotel Magenta yesterday and we thought the hotel was really nice. People have previously mentioned the place being dirty, the food being bad and the noise all night preventing a decent nights sleep. The negative reviews could quite easily put people off, we were very wary after reading them.
We stayed for 5 days, the hotel is very clean, all the staff are very friendly and helpful and the breakfasts are nice too. As for the noise in the street, we live in a fairly quiet area and we slept well every night and had the window open too as Paris was quite hot last week. If you arrive by plane from CDG then you will travel by train to the Gare Du Nord station, you can then change trains or walk from there, to be honest we walked but had we known before hand we would have changed trains and gone to the Jacques Bonsergent metro as it's miles easier and is literally 1 minute away from the hotel compared with 10 minutes from Gare Du Nord or 5 minutes from Gare De L'est, and when you have cases to drag about that makes a big difference.
If you like Chinese food there is also a great place 'Ching Chongs' near the Gare De L'est that do a buffet for 12 Euros on a night or 9 Euros during the day.
The only down side for us was the area that the hotel is located in, there are 2 streets very close by, Rue La Fayette & Boulevard De Strasbourg that didn't make us feel safe, especially later in the day, there is also a brasserie directly opposite the hotel that ripped us off with the price of some drinks. Although classed as a city centre hotel it is a little way out and if you don't walk as much as we do then you will definately have to take the metro.
On the positive side we'd definately stay at the hotel again, on the negative side it probably won't happen as the nice sights of Paris are completely overshadowed by the scruffy parts and the feeling of not being safe. An american at the hotel was distracted and then pick pocketed, he lost $1000.
I'd recommend a visit to the Moulin Rouge while in Paris, we went on a trip with Cityrama that included an illuminations tour and champagne and they even drop you back at your hotel afterwards, it's not cheap but then again nothing else was either.
If your doing a shortlist of 10 city breaks to take then Paris should be on it, simply because it's Paris, but no higher than number 10, go to Rome instead.
Everything in Paris is very expensive compared to other cities and that includes travel, the train from the airport to the closest metro was roughy 13 Euros each. We travelled a very similar distance when we went to Rome, the trains were the same and the trip was 1 Euro each.
To sum up, a really nice hotel that is let down by the city that it's in, had it been in a nicer area and closer to the main sights I would have given it 5 stars.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed for a week in July/August and after reading about every single review I had a pretty good idea of what this place would be like and it didn't let me down. I'll start off with the pros and cons.
Pros: Nice place, clean, good breakfast, close to metro station (Jacques Bonsergent, Gare de l'est), nice style inside, and offers a warm atmosphere. Cons: A little far from the middle of the city and isn't within walking distance to any main attractions, rooms are a bit small (compared to hotel rooms in NA).
Before looking too much into the pros and cons, bear in mind that they're entirely dependent on what you plan on doing in Paris. I expected a small room so I wasn't disappointed, and I knew where it was so I was expecting a short trek to the middle of the city.
My girlfriend and I were both very pleased with the hotel and it provided us with exactly what we needed; a clean place to sleep before heading back out to the city. If you want to relax in a hotel room for 3 days then maybe this isn't where you should be going. So all in all, for the average tourist like me, it's a great place to go.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Magenta 38? Share your experiences!