“New Year's Eve 2013” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“New Year's Eve 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed at the amazing Champs Élysées Plaza hotel from December 29th to 1st Jan 2014. We were met with a warm greeting from the very first second we arrived. Our room wasn't quite ready (bearing in mind this was 9:30am on a Sunday) so we were offered breakfast whilst we waited which was wonderful. During this time our room was ready and what a treat! The room was huge by Paris standards (we had a junior suite) and was extremely clean and well presented. The bed was massive as was the bathroom. Strangely the bathroom was the room with the balcony but we believe this was for noise reduction purposes as it faced onto a fairly busy road. The bedroom also had windows that opened onto an inner courtyard. The staff are extremely friendly, knowledgable and very, very helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. We were offered lots of glasses of champagne too which was very much appreciated. Our New Years Eve meal in Le Keller restaurant was fantastic and they catered for my husbands food allergies too without any trouble. Amazing! I wish our stay had been longer and I will most definitely go back to this beautiful hotel without hesitation. Stunning. It is quite a small hotel but I feel this is in the hotels favour as you get a more personal service and all the staff remember your name. We loved it. Thank you to all the staff for looking after us so well.

Room Tip: We had a junior suite which was huge and more than big enough for a couple.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

My second visit in two years. The first solo on business in 2012 I loved the hotel and location so brought the family back for Christmas. There was a significant deterioration in room quality and service. Rooms were not cleaned well or restocked and when complained was met with shrugs, indifference and no change in room cleaning improvement.
The lovely little bar had also changed, this time we would sit in there and wait for a long time for anyone to come and serve us.
Breakfasts were still excellent, the concierge and door staff helpful. The location in Paris is fantastic particularly with all the Christmas markets down the Champs Élysées.
Overall for the cost and considering my great experience in 2012 I can not recommend this hotel. (Charged for coffee pods and teabags with no warning, I am sure they were complimentary a year ago!)

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Newport Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

We recently returned from a trip to Paris, and stayed at the Champs Elysee Plaza Hotel.

Being my Honeymoon, we were most looking forward to experiencing a true 5 star service and accommodation.

Being a fairly well known establishment, the last thing we ever expected was to be treated with such a lack of humility, respect and kindness. At times, we were treated so poorly, that it literally ruined our Honeymoon.

While most of the staff were pleasant and kind, this one particular front desk Manager was particularly and consistently condescending and in-attentive. For example, we were 'promised' a quiet room upon arrival. Yet it felt as if we were in the middle of a New Years Eve party in Times Square. We could not sleep the first night with the windows open, as the sound and noise level were as if we were sleeping in the street. And when we tried to put the A/C on, it was not working in our particular suite. The next morning when we approached this manager, we politely asked for a different room. So rudely we were told, that it was unfortunate but Paris was a noisy city. With persistence, we were able to beg her to change rooms. She contacted her senior manager and he eventually relented. We were told to then take a top floor room, that was equal to our original $700 per night suite.

This room turned out to be MUCH smaller, with practically no windows, and a TV that did not work. The TV??? Was not fixed for another four nights. Finally, on the fifth night, after
spending over $3,500 in room fees alone, we had a tv to view.

This manager was SO rude, that every time we asked for something, she acted as if we were lower than cattle. Such disgusting behavior every single time we encountered her!
On another occasion, we asked to have our laundry done. Not in a hurry, we told them not to rush with it. In fact, we were handed a receipt that was stamped "regular service" on it.To our surprise, the laundry was quickly returned, and the price on it was astronomical!
When we took this up with the front desk manager , she told us that we are wrong. That the man must of heard us ask for a 'rush return', yet when we showed her our receipt that showed 'ordinary service' in bright red, she argued that it was our fault and would not be taken care of.

Being an American, customer service is very important to us, regardless of race or socioeconomic status. However, the feeling and experience at the Champs Elysee Plaza Hotel was anything but this. To say the least, it was one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever encountered, and this is coming from an inveterate world traveler. Somebody who has experienced $30 per night hotel rooms to $3,000 per night ones as well.

I would highly recommend avoiding this hotel at all costs. I can deal with a bad room, or a tv that does not work. I can understand the A/C breaking in my particular room but I can't understand it taking days to fix a problem...or encountering one problem after another -- every day. I also cannot understand, particularly in an alleged 5 Star Hotel, is rudeness in dealing with customer service issues for your guests. Had this particular person been pleasant with us, this review would likely be quite different. However, when you have a noisy room, an a/c that does not work, no t.v for 95% of your stay, are over charged for laundry service, and it is all given to you by a person in charge, with such a sour puss look on her face every time you approach it, it literally makes for a HORRIFIC experience.

And when you realize how expensive this place is in comparison to other options, it just does not make much sense to risk a similar experience.

After experiencing all of this, we escalated our complaints/concerns to the General Manager/Owner. We asked to have a meeting with him on Wednesday...they set at meeting time -- he did not show up. We re-scheduled on Thursday. He showed up, and said he had heard of no problems concerning our stay (there are less than 40 rooms in the small, boutique hotel). He said he would look into them and get back to us. We never heard from him or saw him again. So, it is understandable why this hotel fails to provide even the most basic of customer service. Save your money -- avoid this hotel. Our next letter is to the rating service that gave it a 5 Star rating -- clearly a mistake.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagementCEP, Directeur général at Champs Elysees Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear guest,

Our job is a job of passion and making our guests happy is our greatest satisfaction. Given the tone and tenor of your comment, and despite the fact that we tried to make your stay unforgettable, we are sorry that you feel the opposite.

Still, we had prepared your Junior Suite for a honeymoon with rose petals on the bed and VIP welcome with macaroons from Ladurée. Indeed, this Suite was on the first floor and we are sorry that you were unable to sleep all night because of the noise outside. In spite of this, our rooms are soundproof for they are all equipped with double glazing. I’ll agree with you that if you sleep with the window open, the noise from the street can be disruptive but with an outdoor temperature of 10 degrees Celsius during your stay, was it really necessary to sleep with the window open or use the air conditioning (air conditioning that works just fine but which is turned off in winter for only the heating is on during this period of the year).

We had well received your complaint the following morning with your wish to have an upgrade but unfortunately, we did not have availability for one of our rooms of the superior categories. In order to satisfy your request as best as possible, we proposed another Junior Suite on the 7th and last floor of the hotel, very quiet with a lovely view of the Parisian roof tops. You then informed us of a problem with your television (television that we immediately checked and seemed to be functioning properly) and a problem of overcharging for your laundry which was deducted from your bill.

I had indeed met you personally before your departure and let you know the fact that for us there were no problems for there were no problems. I am well aware that the only and unique way of making your stay unforgettable, even if our Junior Suites are very comfortable and pleasant, would have been to upgrade you in one of our Prestige Suites (and we are very happy to give upgrades when we can according to our availability) and it is sad that the fact that you did not get what you claimed for ruined your stay.

Rest assured that the quality of our welcoming of all our guests is and remains a priority for us.

Best regards
Toulouse, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in order to celebrate a significant birthday for Madame. It was the right choice. After a frustrating buchon filled taxi ride from orly we were warmly welcomed, checked in immediately and upgraded. In spite of being several hours early we were in our room within 10 minutes.

The room was very large by European city standards, immaculately clean with excellent facilities and equipment. As a result of the thoughtful and personalised touches that welcomed us to our room Madame now loves macaroons.

The staff were all professional but warm and personable exemplifying all we have come to expect from the world class French hospitality industry. Madame especially enjoyed the effortless breakfasts in our room experience - my work is now well and truly cut out.

We were however in the middle of a city and Paris can be noisy at night. Parisian drivers love affair with the horn is alive and well. There is no fault for the hotel here of course. Would we come back? In an instant.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

After being impressed with this wonderful hotel some years ago, I stayed there again on a recent visit. The standard is being maintained, it is still an excellent hotel.

The rooms are great, big and comfortable- bathrooms that are bigger than many Paris hotel rooms. The staff are (as before) very helpful, very friendly and makes it a pleasure to walk in the front door.

I would certainly go back !

PS> There was a box of Laduree Macarons as a welcome gift- Very tasty!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

My girlfriend and I travelled to Paris earlier this year in May just for a weekend stay in Paris to celebrate a special occasion. Unfortunately, on the day of arrival, my wallet was stolen leaving me in a miserable situation- the staff at the hotel were very understanding and did all they could to help me in sorting the mess out.
We stayed in one of the junior suites or executive suites- can't quite remember! the room was fantastic and large with big comfortable bed, clean large bathroom- all beautifully designed. Breakfast was ok.
Throughout our stay the staff were always courteous and polite and ready to assist, e.g: with bringing an ironing board to the room.
Would definitely want to stay there again on another trip to Paris for a special occasion.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

Not long back from a 5 night stay. Was my partners 40th & wanted to do something special for him. Booked the package that included breakfast & bottle of champagne. I emailed hotel ahead of us going,to ask if they could arrange a cake for him & was delighted when they emailed back to say this wouldn't be a problem & even got a choice of what cake I would prefer. I also emailed asking if possible for a higher up room with a view & was prepared to pay more if needed. I didn't get reply so assumed it would be taken care of. We arrived at hotel after 9pm & were shown to our room (on 2nd floor). I went back to reception to ask of they had received my email asking if there was any chance we could have a higher up room & although they had received it, we were allocated a 2nd floor room, however there were higher rooms available which I had a look at but had no view whatsoever so stayed with room given. I also expected champagne to be in room on arrival which would be expected but had to go down to reception & ask for it. Also on website, states each room has an expresso machine but ours didn't, although reception advised if we wanted coffee to call down & it would be delivered to our room, which we did on 2 occasions. Our room was actually really nice & had slight view of surrounding street.
They have a lovely cosy bar area just adjacent to reception, so on our way out on the second night, went in for a couple of drinks. Waited at least 10 mins before member of staff came in, & then handed us drink menus. Waited another 5 mins before we could order our drinks. Not on in a 5 star hotel :( All in all we enjoyed our stay, the breakfast staff ( in restaurant, we didn't have dinner in hotel) were lovely, (older gentleman & young girl) were really pleasant & looked after us really well. Reception staff seemed quite above themselves, didn't really welcome us whenever we returned to hotel or engage in conversation, always seemed to have something better to do, for example, talk among themselves, but the young guy on the door was a wee gem, always smiling. ( Sebastian take note, could learn a thing or too from this young man) can't really fault the hotel, its lovely & location is great, however, just felt something was lacking sadly. We were happy to pay 5* prices to enjoy a fabulous experience & expect to get what you pay for but at times, felt out of place by 'senior members of staff & reception. The hotel may want to challenge this by leaving their own comment which of course they are entitled too, but they can't argue with how we were made to feel sometimes. The morning before we left, the fire alarm went off, my partner & i were having long lie as night before was his birthday so stayed out quite late celebrating. Noise from alarm was deafning, got up, reluctantly, and went down to reception, where they ignored us. We stood on pavement outside hotel where it was freezing waiting for someone to advise us when ok to return to room. Another couple who had come down with us ended up going up street for a coffee while waiting. After a few minutes we came in to ask what was happening & got told it was coming from a guest room but we were free to return to room. No apologises or anything. We were only ones there & yet again felt staff could have been more helpful, they really couldnt have cared less. Really lacking in customer service.
Yes, they brought my partners cake up to us & we had room service for breakfast with complimentary glass of Buck's Fizz on morning of his birthday which we really appreciated & the male member of staff who brought it up was lovely, but still felt for what's meant to be a 5 star hotel we were left feeling disappointed.

• Stayed November 2013
ManagementCEP, Directeur général at Champs Elysees Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen the Hotel Champs Elysees Plaza to Celebrate your partner’s 40th, and for having taken the time and trouble to write a comment about your stay with us.

I feel sorry about your experience with us. I can understand the feeling you had regarding the lack of consideration during the fire alarm that indeed went off at 11am and in general from the front desk. Though it is a first time for us, it is not acceptable. Our front of house manager has been informed and has reviewed in details with her team the importance of welcoming a guest, to follow up their requests and anticipate their needs. We are a boutique hotel of 35 rooms, which usually gives to our guests the feeling of being at home far away from home.

As for the Champagne. We are very sorry for this misunderstanding as we thought that you wished to have it at the same time as the birthday cake. That it is the reason why it was not in your room upon arrival. Once again, very sorry about that.

Finally, concerning the room you have been accommodated in, on your booking comments, you had indeed asked for a room with a view on the higher floor but the configuration of our establishment does not provide Executive rooms with street view on high floors. furthermore, the establishment was running full and we did not have the possibility to propose a different room type on the higher floors with street view. So we thought that the most important to make your stay unforgettable was to favor the street view over the higher floor.

Our main goal is the total satisfaction of our guests, to provide them with a problem free stay and unforgettable. I am sorry that I did not have the chance to meet you during your stay, or being informed about the troubles you faced, I would have been more than pleased to act immediately, and personally take care of you.

Hoping that we will have the chance to welcome you again and let us show you our good standards and our true sense of hospitality,

Kind regards,

Dominique Ruchaud

Been to Champs Elysees Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!