“Nice for a café and a snack” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Taverne de Cluny

La Taverne de Cluny
51 rue de la Harpe, 75005 Paris, France (Odeon / Saint-Michel)
01 43 54 28 88
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Odeon / Saint-Michel
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Nice for a café and a snack”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

No problems while I stopped for a rest and some coffee one afternoon. Would go back if walking around in the neighborhood.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Texas City, Texas
“A place that makes you feel happy and grateful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

A wonderful cozy café in the heart of Paris. We were walking in the area and we spotted this nice lively pub near Cluny. Simply wonderful! We sat and ordered burgers and two beers and we were delighted by fabulous jazz music. We did not want to leave…it was marvelous to be in that warm and homely café in Paris! Staff was friendly, attentive and pleasant. Burgers were very good and tasty and they have an excellent choice of beers and cocktails. La Taverne made our day and our weekend in Paris. I look forward to coming back soon.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Renfrewshire
“Nice location but beware- don't move seats !!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Killing time until we went to airport we were looking for a mid afternoon snack in this area. Most of the places had set price menus and as we didn't want 3 courses we were pleased to find this tavern. There were no seats outside on the pavement so we went in. We were shown to our table by a pleasant young man and we proceeded to order our food and a drink. The food was very good all be it just a croque monsieur and salad.When we finished eating we ordered another drink and as it was a beautiful day when seats became available outside we moved out. Think this is where we went wrong- I have since been told there are 3 price bands- standing at the bar,inside and then out on the pavement. When it came time to ask for the bill our pleasant young man turned into a fiend- slamming down the bill on the table. Needless to say he didnt get a tip !! It is a lovely bar more like our style of pub and the food was very tasty. It's a great place to people watch but only if you've paid the correct price.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
“Hope you like salmonella and crap service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

First off, I love a good medium rare steak. However, I don't like burger browned on the outside and raw and cold on the inside. This isn't steak tartare in a good restaurant. Pointed it out and the waiter took it back - the whole plate. I should have been aware this wouldn't end well when I saw him fetch the cook from his smoke break outside come storming back into the bar.

5 mins later plate returned - same burger, not replaced, just recooked! The funniest part was the burger, which I had cut in half, had both bottom bun pieces on one half and both top pieces on the other - obviously reassembled with care. It was slightly more cooked and slightly warmer so I ate about half of it.

Oh, and since he took my whole plate back, my fries were now ice cold. I thought we'd be ok due to the reviews but I guess this area is like the west end around Leicester square in London - just don't eat there unless you are a tourist wanting to get ripped off. Forgot to add this burger was €17 in a pub.

Visited September 2013
Sebdelpuech, Propriétaire at La Taverne de Cluny, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Mr or Ms Chad B,

I would like to sincerely apologize for the poor service you received at La Taverne. I do understand how disappointing it is when you are served undercooked meat and on top of it, you are not well attended.

However, I have to say that the headline of your review sounds quite slanderous. Each year we are subject to health inspections and samples of food are taken to be analysed. The presence of salmonella would be a serious misconduct and yet, no salmonella (or other bacteria) has ever been found in our kitchen. Once again, I understand that you had a one-off unfortunate experience and we probably deserve a negative review for the poorly cooked meat (please be assured that the staff were summoned), but I do not understand the association of the salmonella bacteria with La Taverne de Cluny, which calls the quality and the freshness of our products into question.

Also, I would like to point out the fact that, in spite of our “crap service”, I am not aware of many restaurants that replace the entire dish just because the meat is not cooked enough. Unless, perhaps, in restaurants where you would pay, at least, twice the price you paid (17€, which does not seem inconceivable since there is free live music every night!).

I would like to conclude by thanking you for taking the time to review our place. The opinions of our customers are always valuable to constantly improve and I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. I hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.
United Kingdom
“GREAT ATMOSHERE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Have been here on my two visits to Paris.Relaxed atmosphere and lively crowd.Live music is an added bonus. Food is plentiful,good selection and really reasonably priced.
I am a fan of Belgium beer, so this for my is a clincher, they had my favorite Trappist brew.
I great place to spend an evening with friends

• 4 of 5 stars Food