“Somewhat disappointing for Paris.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel du Mont Dore

You added Hotel du Mont Dore to your Saves list
Hotel du Mont Dore
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 rue du Mont Dore, 75017 Paris, France (Batignolles-Monceau)   |
Ranked #1,335 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Vancouver, Canada
“Somewhat disappointing for Paris.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

Couldn't finds a hostel so I opted for what I thought would be a medium priced hotel. The room was clean enough though not amazing, It just gave the impression of being wiped down, but not really cared for. The bed wasn't very comfortable, I am a pretty tall guy (5'10") and I barely fit the bed. I feel that for the money you pay you could definitely find something better in Paris. I will not be returning here, that's for sure.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

It was my first time in Paris and I stayed here for 5 nights. I will start with the two things I wish someone had told me before I went.
1) it is terribly expensive. Definately the most expensive place I have ever been. A pint will set you back 7euros and as the euro is only 1.1euro to the £1 it's almost £7 a pint. In a cafe a simple can of coke will set you back on average 4.5euros and from a supermarket 1.1euro so the cheapest can of coke I got was £1 but in cafe's it was around £4. A glass of wine is around 6euros but if your a vodka drinker you have no chance it's around 6.5euros for your shot alone and then you have to add your mixer on top. Not the cheapest place to stop and have a few pints through the day or at night time.
2) If you fly into Beauvais airport like we did, the bus is 15euros each way so there were two of us and that was 60euros out of our spending money gone in an instant.

The hotel is easy to get too. From the shopping centre where the bus drops you off you get the metro from Port Malliot to Charles de gaulle Etoile and from there change onto the blue line to Rome. When you get off the metro station here it is literrally less than a 3 min walk to the hotel. The area is nice plenty of restaurants and bars and a safe area to walk about in late at night. The hotel could do with a bit of doing up like new carpet etc but to be honest we were not looking for a lovely hotel just somewhere to leave our things and put our head down for the night. The rooms are small but it had what we needed, comfy double bed, wardrobe, dressing table, shower etc. Our room had big windows in the room and bathroom so was well aired if needed. We got fresh towells every day and our room cleaned daily. I cannot comment on the breakfast as we did not eat breakfast at all. We much preferred out and about in the little french cafes or grabbing a crepe with nutella yummy. The staff I did not find unhelpful or rude but the extent of our relations with the staff were basically to hand our key in at reception on our way out and asking them for it on our return.

If you like walking then you can walk everywhere from this hotel. The moulin rouge is just about 4min walk up the road.
On the first day we walked from this hotel to the arc de triomphe from here to the eiffel tower. We then walked a litte along the river had a bit of lunch, walked back to the tower and had a sail up the river sienne. When that was finished we walked over to the place de concorde and all the way up the champs eleysee to the arc de triomphe and back to our hotel. In all it was about a 5mile walk and my feet were killing me but it's a great way to see a lot of the centre of paris and stop in at wee cafes etc.
The second day we got an all day metro pass and just did loads of other stuff that I won't bore you with the above was just to illustrate how easy it is to walk around to some of the main attractions on foot.

Eating out I didn't quite enjoy. Nothing really came with veg and there was a lot of red meat and everything came with chips. Most places will ask if you want your meat well done etc but sometimes they don't and I got a rare burger one day - it was horrible. A lot of cafes will sell just salad and then main meals not really what I would have wanted for lunch. Well a salad will be fine for me but I just didn't want to pay 21euros for a salad.
If it was any othere time of year we would have picked up a sandwich from a stall etc but it was cold and raining most time and really we just wanted to sit down inside especially after having walked all day.

If you really want to have a drink and relax with a few pints the best place to go is the latin quarter. Threres tons of restarurants etc around there - reminds me a little of camden market the way it's laid out. We found a bar there selling pints for 4euro on happy hour but it was amstel but we weren't complaining after just spending 8euro's on a half pint of kronenburg just across the river - crazy.

If I was ever to go back to paris again I would consider this hotel again because it is simply just what we needed. If I wanted a luxury hotel I would have paid for one. Also there is a lot of dodgy areas in Paris that are not safe at night time and this one is definately safe so if you just want somewhere to put your head at night then this will fit that requirement.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
leicester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

Hotel reception picture in only true picture - room in small dirty courtyard ( dog mess ) opened door and glass fell out ( was fixed later ) carpet was not clean also very worn. Bathroom had cracked sink and no ventilation wc was not to fresh either. Bed was ok but lifted pillow to find a large amount of black hair ( not my colour ). Breakfast was bread and coussant only one butter and one jam allowed - charged 2 euro more for cheese and meat or yoghurt / cereal, served by people who couls have washed their hands more. Dirty cups on 2 mornings. Rooms very small for two people. Good position - better hotels in same area. Would not return - would not recommed.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
county durham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

we booked a double room, and was shoved in a twin on the other side of the court yard as they were "busy" even though id booked a double months ago as it was our honeymoon. I got bitten by something twice in bed which swollen up my ankle and caused a huge blister on theother, no idea what it was!

No kettle in room as advertised, and "sky" is just french freeview.

Room nothing like photo advertised, grotty, with sweets left on the floor. When complaining about twin room the man said there will be a double available the following day we could have, but when we went thefollowing day it was a different man who said there were none available.

"BREAKFAST" consited of a cold stale crossoint, and a quarter of a stale baguette, with a ot of butter and jam, and a cup of tea so week you would think it was dish water.

horrid, ruined my honeymoon

Room Tip: just go to a different hotel
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

I mean, my title says it all. It is so small you ban barely breathe. Even just by entering into the lift you realize it, in which only one person can fit and an adaquately average sized luggage. Finally arriving at the room I was like OH MY GOD. The "hall" in between rooms is just about the size of the lift, with all rooms so close to each other you feel like you are about to suffocate. And then you enter the room. It is so small and when we asked for an upgrade he said that there are worse and that they were all full, when in fact we had actually seen empty rooms in the hotel (being just as worse anyway). There was no balcony in the room when in fact many of the rooms shown online had one, and they seemed a 100 times bigger and nicer! The toilet has no window, and especially if you are sharing the room with another person it is incredibly embarassing to do your business.

My friend and I left our luggage and went out of the hotel like half an hour after we tried to settle in, looking for another hotel. And we were very very lucky as there is one just next door, Hotel rue de Battignolies, which is 3 star, has air conditioning, has much nicer and spacious rooms and they actuallycharged us just 30Euros per night (in contrast with the crappy Mont dore charging us 32.50 Euros per night)

And oh, it gets better. When we went up to the manager of the Hotel Mont Dore to tell him that we do not want to stay at the hotel he said we will have to pay for two whole nights even though we leave! First of all, customers are only supposed to pay for one night when they decide to leave and second of all, may I point out that when we arrived at the hotel they did not even know about us (we had made our reservation online and apparently the data got lost or whatever lame excuse they gave us). So the booking was done there and then as we arrived.

We never slept one whole night there, we went to the other hotel immediately, and stood up for ourselves and paid for only one night. The staff is really unfriendly at all by the way. When me and my friend first entered the hotel he was giving us these creepy smiles and looks. Ugh! Need I say more?

The only good thing about this hotel is the excellent location, which is just few steps away from the metro and it is a really god neighbourhood. But for that go to the next hotel, it is just next door and tons better.

DO NOT STAY AT THE HOTEL DU MONT D'ORE! EVER! IT'S HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE! and do not believe any of the photos shown online, they have absolutely nothing to do with what the hotel really looks like.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Bordeaux
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

I booked this hotel for a week of business in Paris. The website pictures looked good and the price was attractive. However, when I arrived at the hotel, I was shocked. The room was filthy, smelly, small and run down. The wall paper was coming away from the walls and mold was showing. The toilet was full of someone else's urine and the sheets were soiled. I have never been so disgusted. When I complained, the hotel staff came to the room and found it to be acceptable. Unbelievable. When I refused to spend the night in the room, they forced me to pay the first night anyway!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2007

This little Hotel, stands on the corner of Rue du Mont Dore, 2 minutes walk from Rome Metro Station on Line 2, which is 5 stops from the Arc De Triomphe / Charles de Gaulle Etolie Metro. Also on the same Metro line, the hotel is 3 and 4 stops respectively from the Moulin Rouge & Sacre Coeur, which can be seen from the end of the road, and very walkable.Leading into the Montmartre District. Other Hotels surround this hotel, including one next door, with a higher star rating.
Outside the Hotel is a bus stop which links Bus/Route 66, direct to Opera (The Paris Opera House) along with the main stop for the Roissy Bus, which is the Airport shuttle from CDG Airport. This journey from the Hotel to Opera, takes 10 minutes. You can also get the Metro at Opera to numerous destinations. Plus connect with the Paris Open Top Bus tours at this point as well.
The Hotel itself is clean, the rooms are small. We had a double room with an en suite/shower & t.v, which was tidy and clean, though you would need to ask for a bigger twin room if you had need of a cot. The staff all converse in English. Break fast was your traditional croissant and roll with jam, plus coffee and orange juice. There are many cafes in the roads around the Hotel, which serve just the same, for less money and a better selection of foods/rolls and salad dishes in plastic tubs for you to take away.
One bonus is the location of Bistro Des Dames, (18 Rue Des Dames)on the next road across from the Hotel. This little bohemian wine bistro has a private garden courtyard, and they serve excellent French dishes. It has recently been written about, and its worth a visit for one night of your stay.
In all nothing flash, but ideal for those who want to explore the City easily and eat well from a stones throw away.

• Liked — Easy access to Metro/Buses
  • Disliked — Size of Room could have been bigger
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel du Mont Dore? Share your experiences!