“Very pleased!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 127 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Victoria, Canada
“Very pleased!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

Myself and two friends visited Le Village for 4 nights and we're very pleased with everything. Our room was clean, the staff were friendly and helpful, and even breakfast was great! The environment was always welcoming, with lots of other hostel goers mingling in the common areas. We loved the garden in the back. The elevator was quite small, which wasn't a problem for us, but if anyone brought a lot of luggage it could be tough. Having Sacre Coeur directly behind us was very cool and we were just a short walk away from the metro for any longer trips. I would highly recommend this hostel to everyone!!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We arrived to the hostel at 3 PM. Elevator was not working. We had to go up 3 floors with all the lugagge, but ok, thats fine, we are very flexible. When coming back at 1 am in the morning from dinner with my husband and son (11 years old), we got trapped in the elevator for 50 minutes. Althought the sign says suitable for 3 people, 2 is the most suitable number. We almost ran out of breath. The poor guy did what he could and of course suggested for us to talk to the owner the other day. Which of course I did. His first reply when mentioning what happened WAS NOT " I am sorry, I apologize for that terrible moment"...he simply said " I legally do what Paris requires me to do, I have all paperwork in place, if you want a discount then just ask for one!". Or course my answer was, well yes, if you yourself have not mentioned it in the first place, I am requesting it. And he only gave us a discount of half of one of the 2 nights we spent here. Talk about not knowing how to treat tourists...not even that...PEOPLE!!! Rooms are ugly, dirty...DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU WANT A POSITIVE EXPERIENCE IN THIS BEAUTIFUAL CITY, DO NOT LET THEM RUIN YOUR EXPERIENCE (IT WAS OUR FIRST TIME IN PARIS!).

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Olivier H, Directeur général at Le Village Hostel, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Dear,

I think you don't understand the apologize. I think we are not responsable when the elevator stop working. we do the best to repair this and call the guys who come to open the elevetor. the legal time is one hour for paris and they always try to come as soon as possible. Sure I give you a discount but I think you have a good stay because you be with us all your stay. You know if you don't like the hostel you be leaved when you want.
I think the problem with the elevator you don't have an objective opinion.
The futur guest can have a better ideas with all reviews.
Best Regards
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I really liked this hostel, especially for the price. We stayed four nights in a 3 mixed bedroom/ private bathroom. One night cost us one euro each and the other nights cost around 25 euros a person. The room was clean with a nice feel, beds were comfortable, it was spacious enough, and the bathroom was very nice and clean. My only complaint is that there was no shower head so the water sprayed everywhere and you had to continually press a button for the water to come out. This isn’t enough to deter me to not come back though. I also really like the fact that the Sacre Coeur is no more than 10 minutes away on foot and the nearest metro is around 3 minutes away. I thought the staff was really nice too.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I booked at Le Village Hostel but had to cancel because of last minute changes. The hostel had the audacity to charge me one night even though I emailed them 48 hours in advance letting them know about my situation. Fortunately, I was able to get a refund after involving Hostels.com and my credit card company, but I feel lucky that I did not have to stay at this terrible place. This was a bad way to treat any prospective guests and I definitely know where I WON'T be staying the next time I visit Paris.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Olivier H, Directeur général at Le Village Hostel, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Bonjour,

For answering to your reviews, weinform you f you don't respect the policy cancellation we charge you for the first night. It's clear on Hostel.com. And if we charge you, It's caue you don't respect it. I remember the situation and Hostel.com contacte me and they are agree with me.
I inform you the rules is the same for every people. And please don't criticize our Hostel if you never come.

Best regards
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

At first we where happy with the hostel, the room was nice.As our time went on in the hostel we realised how terrible the wifi was, which you could only use around the reception. We could not use the toilet in the room as there constantly was a pool of water on the floor around the toilet. There needs to be some serious hospitality training done on the staff's part! Extremely rude towards customers, I was very shocked by how we where treated. The woman in charge of breakfast also made me feel like I was unwelcome and could not go back for a second helping of cereal/tea etc, a terrible way to feel when you have pre paid for your stay already before hand, she also had no problem shouting at us in French as we got a second cup of tea too, which was not only highly rude but very embarrassing for a customer!!! I would not recommend this hostel to any one at all. If you are considering to stay here, keep looking! I work in the service industry and believe me they are very behind the average standard of hotels/ hostels when it comes to customer hospitality. It definitely dampened my time in Paris.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Olivier H, Directeur général at Le Village Hostel, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Bonjour,

I need to answer to your review.
If you read the facilities before you mae a reservation you can see the wifi is free and only in the lobby. So we never said that the wifi working in the room.

For the breakfast I think the breakfast is finish and it's the reason we refuse you to serve a second time but you have free tea and coffee in the kitchen. The breakfast time is 7.30 to 9.30am.

And I remember you for the problem we have at night. But you forget to say me you get involved with the reception and guest without invit.
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

This will be a very neutral review about Le Village Hostel. If you're an international student like myself, no worries, because all of the staff speaks both English and French. The neighborhood itself is a little sketchy. I'm glad I stayed with friends because I would be a LITTLE hesitant walking around there late at night by myself. The metro is a quick hop away from the hostel, so getting to Central Paris is an easy task.

As far the hostel itself, it is far from anything special. Packed rooms, some double and triple bunk beds, and bare bones furnishings. Our room required us to walk outside, press a buzzer, and enter a secure gate. For some reasons, rooms 111 and 112 were in this special area on the first floor? Our friends were on the floor above us which required re-entry into the main entrance of the hostel and another key to open the door to the stairs. The thing that bothered me was the fact that I don't believe our room had any heat. I slept in all my clothes and even had extra blankets, but I was still freezing. The hostel is also very pricey for what it is.

There are a number of restaurants and bars close by as well and a nice little bar (with Happy Hour) in the lobby. Again nothing too special about this place.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

I dont like to do bad reviews, but I don't want that someone have the same problems!
So, my first day/night in the hostel was in the dark, the main light of the room was not working.I asked 3 times to the staff to change it, and all I heard was "10 min, i'll be there", but nothing happened.
The second day, I woke up early and went to visit some places, and when i returned, a really bad surprise, I opened the door and there was nothing mine in the room, everything that i kept in the room had just DISAPPEAR ! After 15 min a guy found it in two plastic bags somewhere in the hostel, but two towels missing!
I told the manager about the situation, and one more surprise, he was really rude and impolite, instead of saying sorry, he started to argue with me and becoming angry!! I told mhi, that this was an unacceptable mistake and he started to laugh!
soo, this was my worse experience in a hostel, the room was really good, but the rest i can't say the same!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Olivier H, Directeur général at Le Village Hostel, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Hi Mr S. Jonas,

I’m sorry to read your review because we try to help you a lot through this. I have to replace things in their context so everyone can understand your review.
First for the light bubble, our receptionist staff is not allowed to leave the reception and as it was late time you had to wait until next day so someone can do that. Anyways there were other lights in the room.
For the second problem, the experience seemed so bad for you that you wanted to extend for another day. Problem is that you did that on the morning of the day you were supposed to leave. Usually it causes not problem at all but the cleaning staff had already have their instructions and the staff forgot to tell em the changement.
We often have people that don’t checkout in time and when it happens you bring their luggage and stuffs downstairs in a locker room so the new people arriving can check-in. But your belongings were safe and sure. We apologized for the disturbance and gave you back two new towels even though you were impolite.

Been to Le Village Hostel? Share your experiences!