“Decent hostel, amazing location” 4 of 5 stars

Caulaincourt Square Hostel
2 Square Caulaincourt | 18 Arr., 75018 Paris, France (Montmartre)   |
Ranked #1,166 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Vancouver, Canada
“Decent hostel, amazing location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Right up the hill in Montmarte, very easy walk to the Sacre Coeur which has the most amazing views over Paris especially at night. Was lucky enough to get a room on one of the top floors at first and the view over the city was awesome, (although I did ask to get switched to another room as one of my fellow guests snored quite a bit, something one of the receptionists helped me out with). Everything else was decent but not that great of an atmosphere. Even though this was my first time travelling it seemed like everyone else here was also a novice backpacker too and it showed, so don't expect to meet a whole bunch of worldly and experienced travellers here at all. Some of the other guests were simply rude, I was extending my stay with the receptionist and some girl walked in with her friends and just smacked her credit card down on the desk, which got the immediate attention of the receptionist and I had to really fight to get it back !!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I am writing this review write now as I sit in the hallway some ways down from my room. Although the people at the front desk are pleasant, the hostel offers a free breakfast that's more than adequate, a daily cleaning service and the rooms are clean enough, my major problem is with the wifi situation which I find unbearable.

Now I know that some may find this complaint silly, but I also know that there are those who travel like I do-- connected. I am not a person to roam streets aimlessly, wasting time. I don't plan in advance, so when I get to a city, the first item of business for me is to get a SIM, data access, bring up 'Gmaps' maps/ 'translate' and start searching for things I want to do see in the local language.

My data situation in Paris was not ideal, as the French are apparently weird about internet access. A kind SFR representative hacked the SFR network, allowing for an unpaid data connection, but I could use 'maps'; tethering, email and all the other stuff were just not possible without an extended commitment. This is why I NEEDED wifi in my room so that I could do research, figure out what I wanted to do, keep in touch with friends, etc, etc. Not possible in this hostel, unless you're either sitting in the hallway, in the lobby, or are lucky enough to have gotten a room that is close enough to their weak routers.

As a point of fact, when you first walk in you'll see a ton of people milling about on their devices; I almost tripped over a young girl sitting on the stairs leading down to my room, No of the poor poor souls can access the internet from their rooms. Just be warned, this could happen to you. Ask for a room with wifi access if it's important to you.

On the other hand, if none of this stuff matters to you, then welcome to an excellently situated and cheap hostel that should suit your needs nicely!

Room Tip: Ask about wifi access at the front desk, reserve the right to change rooms if you can't connect...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed in May '12 for a few days. The place was clean and the staff helpful. Enjoyed the free breakfast and WiFi. The hostel is a pleasant few minutes walk from the metro and convenient to get to/from just about anywhere in Paris. I really enjoyed my stay!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Leuven, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Really good hostel with a great breakfast. The room could be cleaner, but it was not so bad. Every room has a shower, and the common toilets were very clean all the time. The decoration is also good and the location is good (has a metro station very close)

Seriously reccomend it

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Awesome bar/eating/social area with the cheapest drinks I've seen in Paris. A decent kitchen area for cooking your own food, free wifi which doesnt reach all rooms but is available in the public areas anyway, and free access to their computers in the lobby. Free breakfast we never made it early enough to test out, but there's always free bread in the kitchen. The 3 of us stayed in a 3 bed room which was good but I definitely wouldn't want to stay in a room that small with strangers. I really wouldn't recommend it. A shower and sink in the worlds smallest bathroom in our room, with a shared toilet a few doors down that doesn't have a sink in it. That isn't a big deal to me but deserves mentioning. There were two safes and a tv in our room, but we didn't use either of those things. There is a convenience store across the road, plenty of restaurants and a laundromat next door, and the metro is a comfortable walk down the street. If you can't find anything more central, I would 100% recommend this place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The place is lovely, nice decor, mostly clean for what you expect in a hostel. I stayed in a room with a double bed which also came with tv, shower and sink and a toilet just across the hall.
The staff were very unpleasant at times, I asked one if they arranged airport transfers and he handed me a phone and told me to ring a taxi instead. I do not speak French and he expected me to make the call myself and also did not tell me they would expect a deposit paid over the phone to book.
The second employee I asked was much more helpful and arranged a transfer for me easily, I don't see why the other was so reluctant to do the same. When I got up early in the morning there was also a male employee sleeping in the reception area on a fold up bed.
After leaving this hostel my arms and feet became covered in small spider bites, I also saw a small spider in the room earlier in the evening of my stay. I had to endure 28 hours of travel covered in angry and itchy bites. I emailed the hostel simply so they would have knowledge of this for any future guests and they ignored it, not even an apology!
I would recommend this place based on comfortable rooms and basics but don't expect anything of the staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We were expecting the worst when we arrived, since we had been told we were going to stay in a dodgy area of paris and we assumed the hostels wouldn't be too good, especially not with the price we paid. So we were surprise first of all to find that the neighborhood was actually pretty nice with small cafés and nice streets (the metro is probably the place you should avoid at night though) and the hostel was one of the best i've been at! the room was really clean and nicely decorated. we even had a tv and a shower in the room! we got upgrades from a 6 person dorm to a 3 bed room which was a huge plus. the breakfast was great too, croissant, good coffee and cereal. all in all a very good hostel (and i've stayed at quite many), good price and very easy to get to the city, the metro is just 3 minutes walk from the hostel!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Caulaincourt Square Hostel? Share your experiences!