“Quaint, Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #252 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Toronto
“Quaint, Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2009

We spent 5 nights in room #2 on the 2nd floor of the Hotel St. Jacques in late June/early July and had a pleasant stay. Room was of a decent size, had a very quaint decor and, more importantly, had an excellent working air conditioner which my always-too-warm husband appreciated. A/C was quiet, had a digital thermostat with high and low fan setting and individually controlled per room.

Hotel staff were friendly and helpful, all seemed to speak English well enough. They helped us to book a shuttle to take us to the airport.

Location was great. Close to metro station and lots of restaurants. Within walking distance to the Notre Dame, Pantheon and Luxembourg gardens. Groceries, ATM, and everything you need nearby.

The walls aren't very thick and we heard people in the adjoining rooms once (as they were loud) and a fair amount of noise in the morning (we're not early risers) from inside and outside the hotel but it wasn't a big problem for us.

We did have to pick up and drop of keys at the check-in desk in the lobby every time we came back and left the hotel. They always keep the keys to the room and this also wasn't a problem for us.

Our photos of this hotel are posted at http://travel.webshots.com/album/573356922nkPuFU

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

My wife and I spent five nights in room 26 on the fifth floor at Hotel St. Jacques June 26 - July 1 and had a wonderful time. The room is a Deluxe Double (189 Euros per night) with a nice queen size bed, a small closet, safe, a couple of desks and a small sitting area. The bathroom is small but has a large tub with hand held shower and new fixtures. One person at a time but very nice. My favorite part of the room was the balcony from which we could see Notre Dame to the right and the Pantheon to the left. Though the Hotel offers breakfast, we went to a different cafe every day, and there is no shortage within easy walking distance from the hotel. One block off of Avenue St. Germain and three blocks from the Seine at Notre Dame, the location can't be beat. Though the street can been noisy, the windows are pretty much sound proof so we slept well through the night. Air conditioning was a welcome bonus as the weather was hot a sunny for our entire stay. I would definitely (and already have) recommend this hotel.

sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

A comfortable, charming, character hotel in a great central location. The room was tastefully decorated with a renovated bathrom and the shuttered balcony just completed the whole Paris feel. You are walking distance to everything including the train station which takes you to the airport. This is a real bonus! Staff were most hospitable. The only criticism was that the lovely breakfast room was in a cellar with an additional cost for breakfast which was highly overpriced and therefore not utilised. Consequently everyone just went across the road to the local cafe.

San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

Exactly what I wanted from an small intimate hotel that is perfectly located in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. I am a senior who traveled alone and who loves the romanticism of Paris. I have been to Paris five time before and always stayed in beloved Montparnasse , either in a friend's apartment or in a small hotel. I was familiar with the area and chose carefully for my first stay outside Montparnasse. I was spot on. The staff is very courteous and friendly. The rooms are pleasant , quiet [my room faced the alley and not Rue d' Ecoles], was a good size for a single, and had plenty of hot water. The location is great. There is a wonderful old Parisian bar/restaurant around the corner, "Les Pipos" and the Mouffetard is is right past it. Within a few blocks of the hotel, in either direction, you have the beginning of Blvd. St Germain, Blvd. St. Michel, the divine "Luxembourg Gardens", gorgeous "St. Sulpice", near where you can eat magnificently in "Au Bon St. Pourcain". Montparnasse in all it's glory is a short walk through and past the Gardens. For those who have the need to ride the Metro there are a few stations very close to the hotel. There are cafes and other good restaurants all around the hotel and a nice little park on Rue d' Ecoles, across the street from the "Sorbonne." If you like old movies Rue d'Ecoles is the street of small retrospective movie theaters. The week I was there one theater had a Hitchcock retrospective, another Almodovar, and a third featured Sidney Lumet flicks.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
kansas city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2009

My niece and I were in Paris for the first time, to celebrate her graduation from law school, so it was very important for our hotel to be a comfortable, convenient base. The St. Jacques certainly met the bill. And the staff were very helpful and very friendly. They met all our needs. Based on what I've seen online for the rates for other hotels, the St. Jacques is very good value and I'd be very happy to return. It's a charming, lovely place and I have no qualms at all in recommending it! (There isn't a restaurant, but they do serve breakfast and you can also use room service to get your breakfast.)

• Stayed May 2009
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2009

We were upgraded for some reason and loved our spacious 4th floor room,much bigger than we expected and views to the street from two windows.Location is very ,very the best in Paris for transport access to Metro or CDG. Also great cafes and nightlife nearby,yet still quiet at night for sleeping. We paid 110E per night and this was good value with free inet access in room and good shower,and inroom safe.

los angeles, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

On my recent trip to Paris (spent time living here too, so I'm familiar with the city), I stayed in 4 different hotels. The Saint Jacques was my favorite of the four. The neighborhood is perfect; a short walk down the hill to the nearest Metro; close to St. Michel and Notre Dame but just far enough away that you can escape the student and tourist traffic if you want to. A short walk up the hill to the Panthéon and the church of Saint Etienne du Mont, resting place of St Genevieve, patron saint of Paris!
The lobby of the hotel is lovely and very welcoming. Friendly staff and they even have a computer you can use to check your email. I paid 97 euros for a single on the second floor, room 37. A great price for a nice hotel in this area and I felt it was more than worth it. Similar hotels in this neighborhood can easily be twice as expensive and I was so pleased to get this kind of a hotel room and service for under 100 euros.
I loved my room although if they hadn't been sold-out I would've loved a room up high with a nice view. But no complaints as my room was breezy and quiet. The room was spacious (relative to similar hotel rooms in this price category), beautifully furnished, nice flat-screen tv, desk, plenty of room for suitcases. Everything was very clean and beautifully decorated. The bathroom was very nice! Shower was small, as was expected, but I loved the sliding doors and it was largest bathroom I'd experienced so I was thrilled. It was a pleasure to come home to this hotel room and I plan on staying here again when I return to Paris. The Saint Jacques is my new favorite hotel in Paris! Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo

Been to Hotel SAINT-JACQUES? Share your experiences!