“Familyvacation and a culturevisit” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
€130 (EUR)
Ranked #269 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Oslo, Norway
“Familyvacation and a culturevisit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

The location was excellent, close to Sorbonne University, bookshops, Pantheon, Quarter Latin and Ile de cité. The hotel is very nice, with especially good service. The staff speak good English and was very helpful and accommodating. The rooms had an interesting and charming character with its 1930s style. Room service and breakfast was good. We will recommend this for our friends and absolute return to this hotel in the future. Very good!

Room Tip: Rooms from first floor are very good. Rooms in reception level was nice but it was not possible to o...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Pghoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

This was our first visit to Paris, and the Hotel Saint Jacques proved to be a wise choice. The room was perfectly adequate for our needs in almost all respects. The location is probably as good as you can get. The service was uniformly friendly and helpful. And the key system had a personality that was truly Parisienne!
Our room, which I believe is titled "Superior deluxe" was quite large by European 3 star hotel standards, and very tasteful in appearance, with a decoratively painted ceiling and wall. It was on the 4th floor [5th by American standards] and far enough above the Rue de Ecoles to put us beyond most street noise. The bathrom was quite large and had a tub/shower combination. I had read of difficulty with the "hand-held" shower head, but it actually is the type we have at home and favor. Our only problem was with a clothes armoire which had one rack for hanging items, and this rack, instead of stretching from side to side, ran back to front, making it somewhat limited in utility. Since we were staying for five nights, we were forced to hang some shirts on the bathroom towel rack.
The door key, which was very old-fashioned, had its own French charm. You had to insert it until it hits a stop, then you turned it and it went in all the way and then actually operated the lock. To close it , you insert it until it hits a stop, then you give it turn and it goes in again to operate the lock, and you turn it once more to take it out.
Our room was almost directly off the very small elevator, and its position preserved it from any noise from adjoining rooms.
The air conditioning worked, which was a blessing since Paris was in the 90s for our entire stay.
The breakfasts were typical for European hotels; croissants and various breads, cold cuts, cereal, some friuit, juice and coffee. Eggs could be ordered for 4 Euros in addition to the normal 14 Euro price. This was probably about equal to going to a boulangerie; except that the hotel offered seconds on coffee, a must for most Americans. We had breakfast there every morning.
Guests turn in their very ornate key each time they leave, so you have frequent contact with the desk staff. Everyone was pleasant, friendly and helpful. I had taken some French lessons prior to departure, and while all the desk staff spoke English fairly well, one could tell that my attempts at their language were appreciated.
The hotel is in the "Latin Quarter" of the 5th Arrondissment, which is on the Left Bank, directly opposite the Ile de Cite on which Notre Dame Cathedral is located. The Maubert-Mutualite Metro station is one block away, towards the Seine, on St. Germaine Boulevard. 4 of the 5 restaurants we patronized for dinner were within walking distance, although one of these was about 3/4 of a mile away. We used the metro frequently, and its proximity to the hotel was an asset.
With breakfasts, the price ran about $300.00 per night - steep by American standards, but not for a good quality Paris hotel. And Hotel Saint Jacques meets the standard of not just a good, but a very good Paris hotel. We would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: 4th or 5th floor is probably quieter.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Loved the location at Hotel Saint-Jacques, quiet Paris streets but a quick walk to the Seine, Notre Dame, Ile de la Cité, Pantheon and several metro stations. The front desk staff was very frank but very nice. Questions in English were often a struggle but when we got on the same page, they were very helpful. The keys were very old fashioned and connected to a small tassel which was a fun touch -- this is a long way from electronic key cards! Don't forget to leave the key with the front desk when you leave! We got a talking to about this request...

The room was nice, small but everything you needed. No street noise but we could hear the bathroom tub and pipes from the next door room just as loud as if it were in our room. This was a bit jarring, but we managed.

Overall a great value for the location. The only problem was hearing the room next door but it could have been worse.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I loved my room in this hotel, for a single room in Paris it was a great size and I appreciated the double bed. The shower and the toiletries were also high quality. The decor of the room and the hotel was lovely and really made you feel you were in Paris. It is a great location and easy to find.

However what made this hotel truly excellent was the attentiveness and helpfulness of the staff. They were able to provide really useful advice and offered me help which made my brief stay in Paris much more straightforward and enjoyable. They really went the extra mile. Definitely the best staff of any hotel I've ever stayed in.

I would warmly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Paris. I'd give it 6 stars!!

Room Tip: Up on the top floor are the bargain rooms. Think the ones downstairs have more atmosphere but I was...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

although there is a step to the front door which made getting in difficult, this hotel has two accessible rooms on the ground floor, unfortunately I was too late to let them know I needed he one with single beds. I was shown the one with a double and it is very well done in the classsical (and flowery) french style.

Unfortunately the breakfast room was also not accessible, however the hotel have made provision for this and a very good breakfast is delvered to your room when required.

The room we had was an excellent size and the bathroom although small was adequate. The lift was also very small

The hotel is excellent for seeing Paris as it is on the bus routes to many tourist attractions. It is also close to some shopping areas and within walking distance of Notra Dame

Althou you migh have a few small difficulties with a wheelchair I would reccomend this hotel to anyone

Room Tip: if you need wheelchair access make sure you get one of the ground floor rooms
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Hotel St.-Jacques was the perfect hotel for me. I loved the decor of my room. It was charming, comfortable, and the location was perfect. So much history all around. (The Jardin Luxembourg was wonderful to visit.) The location was just a reasonable walk to reach transportation but quieter than most other streets. The breakfast was good. The hotel was just so interesting and the staff was most friendly and helpful. It's very old so you can hear other folks coming and going but it wasn't that bad. The perfume was such a nice touch. I also enjoyed the bath. Do take your own bath cloth. The key was hard for me to master but it made me feel very safe. Great place for a woman alone to stay. I loved being able to open my window. Love Paris. Would book again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Jülich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed for the second time in this cosy hotel with my adult daughter. I love the quarter and it's surroundings, the small distance to the Seine with the little islands and the shops around. I also love the decoration of the hotel and the rooms - one can really feel well and comfortable.

We had room nr. 7 this time which was spacious and and very pleasant. The shower in the bathroom was extremely small though for a superior room. The room maid forgot to give us one of four towels and since I wanted to test her alertness I didn't order any. She only realized it on the third day. We had also used our glasses to drink some milk but she did not replace them during our five days stay.

For breakfast you can choose from croissants, chocolate buns etc and sometimes nice bread with walnuts. There ist cheese, salami, cooked ham, smoked salmon, also different jams and other sweet spreads, Cornflakes and muesli. There are different yoghurts, fruits and fruitsalad. If you are a big eater the price of 14 Euro for this continental breakfast is ok, but if you can drink only a cup of tea or coffee and have a croissant or so, it is too expensive. This is really a pity because the breakfast room is so nice and it is plesant to sit here in the morning.

On the whole this hotel is a perfect stay if one like to be situated in a central area and if you expect friendly staff. They are absolutely helpful and very kind persons all of them!

A wonderful hotel in Paris with minor lacks which could be solved.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel SAINT-JACQUES? Share your experiences!