“Exceptionally helpful staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Saint-Jacques

You added Hotel Saint-Jacques to your Saves list
Hotel Saint-Jacques
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35, rue des Ecoles, 75005 Paris, France (Quartier Latin)   |
Ranked #308 of 1,791 Hotels in Paris
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Exceptionally helpful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I loved my room in this hotel, for a single room in Paris it was a great size and I appreciated the double bed. The shower and the toiletries were also high quality. The decor of the room and the hotel was lovely and really made you feel you were in Paris. It is a great location and easy to find.

However what made this hotel truly excellent was the attentiveness and helpfulness of the staff. They were able to provide really useful advice and offered me help which made my brief stay in Paris much more straightforward and enjoyable. They really went the extra mile. Definitely the best staff of any hotel I've ever stayed in.

I would warmly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Paris. I'd give it 6 stars!!

Room Tip: Up on the top floor are the bargain rooms. Think the ones downstairs have more atmosphere but I was...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

although there is a step to the front door which made getting in difficult, this hotel has two accessible rooms on the ground floor, unfortunately I was too late to let them know I needed he one with single beds. I was shown the one with a double and it is very well done in the classsical (and flowery) french style.

Unfortunately the breakfast room was also not accessible, however the hotel have made provision for this and a very good breakfast is delvered to your room when required.

The room we had was an excellent size and the bathroom although small was adequate. The lift was also very small

The hotel is excellent for seeing Paris as it is on the bus routes to many tourist attractions. It is also close to some shopping areas and within walking distance of Notra Dame

Althou you migh have a few small difficulties with a wheelchair I would reccomend this hotel to anyone

Room Tip: if you need wheelchair access make sure you get one of the ground floor rooms
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Hotel St.-Jacques was the perfect hotel for me. I loved the decor of my room. It was charming, comfortable, and the location was perfect. So much history all around. (The Jardin Luxembourg was wonderful to visit.) The location was just a reasonable walk to reach transportation but quieter than most other streets. The breakfast was good. The hotel was just so interesting and the staff was most friendly and helpful. It's very old so you can hear other folks coming and going but it wasn't that bad. The perfume was such a nice touch. I also enjoyed the bath. Do take your own bath cloth. The key was hard for me to master but it made me feel very safe. Great place for a woman alone to stay. I loved being able to open my window. Love Paris. Would book again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Jülich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed for the second time in this cosy hotel with my adult daughter. I love the quarter and it's surroundings, the small distance to the Seine with the little islands and the shops around. I also love the decoration of the hotel and the rooms - one can really feel well and comfortable.

We had room nr. 7 this time which was spacious and and very pleasant. The shower in the bathroom was extremely small though for a superior room. The room maid forgot to give us one of four towels and since I wanted to test her alertness I didn't order any. She only realized it on the third day. We had also used our glasses to drink some milk but she did not replace them during our five days stay.

For breakfast you can choose from croissants, chocolate buns etc and sometimes nice bread with walnuts. There ist cheese, salami, cooked ham, smoked salmon, also different jams and other sweet spreads, Cornflakes and muesli. There are different yoghurts, fruits and fruitsalad. If you are a big eater the price of 14 Euro for this continental breakfast is ok, but if you can drink only a cup of tea or coffee and have a croissant or so, it is too expensive. This is really a pity because the breakfast room is so nice and it is plesant to sit here in the morning.

On the whole this hotel is a perfect stay if one like to be situated in a central area and if you expect friendly staff. They are absolutely helpful and very kind persons all of them!

A wonderful hotel in Paris with minor lacks which could be solved.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This hotel is a lovely hotel located within walking distance to the Louvre, Pantheon, and Notre Dame. We enjoyed the beautiful room with it's classic "French" decor which had a small balcony. The bathroom was beautiful, white and black marble! Of the two windows, one was facing the less busy street and the other window toward the alley way.
The breakfast was extra but was very nice and the waitress gave exceptional service. It is in a quaint room in the lower level of the hotel.
The halls are narrow but the rooms are sound proof and we slept very well. What a wonderful way to celebrate 50 years of marriage! Thank you Hotel Saint-Jacques!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Rooms 34 and 35 (on the 2nd and 3rd floors, respectively), are small and apparently occupy some left-over spaces from a renovation. With an internet booking I paid about €95 (including breakfast, usually charged at €14) for room 35, instead of the rack rate of about €200 for other single rooms.
The room is weird: a tiny entrance area with bathroom, then stairs leading up to the bedroom (I have loaded lots of pics). The very overweight or very elderly might have a problem with these stairs, but if you don't, I would recommend this room as a bargain.
GOOD POINTS:
Location of the hotel
Clean, well-maintained
Room 35's windows open onto a narrow one-way alley, with no traffic or pedestrians, so very quiet.
Friendly, efficient, helpful reception staff (at least one of whom speaks very good English)
Air-con
Good breakfast: freshly-made coffee, freshly squeezed orange juice, fresh croissant, etc.
BAD points:
None really, but at full-price it would not have been especially good value for money.

Room Tip: See my review for notes on rooms 34 and 35
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We made a reservation to stay at the Hotel St Jacques several months before our visit this past June. We had reserved a room that was described as a more spacious room. When we arrived we were given a small room on the ground floor behind the concierge desk. The room was small and very dark and not the superior room we had requested. When we explained that we had requested a superior double room the concierge told us he had no other rooms available. We showed him our reservation and indicated both that we had reserved months before and that the couple we were traveling with had reserved at the same time and received a room that was the type we had both reserved. The concierge was very unpleasant. It was not until we said that we would leave and stay instead at another hotel where we had stayed on previous visits to Paris (The Mansart -much nicer for the same price) and that we would write our experience up on Tripadvisor that another somewhat nicer room suddenly became available. It should not be necessary to have to go through such things when one has reserved well in advance. Additionally, when we were leaving Paris we asked the hotel if they could arrange a van to take us to the airport. We stressed that we were four people with four suitcases and would need a vehicle with enough space for the luggage. A small car arrived with a driver who had the wrong information concerning how many were traveling and tdid not know we were going to Orly airport rather than Chas. de Gaulle. This created a bit of confusion which was ultimately rectified by us but was again a lack of attention to a somewhat important detail.
I would not stay here again and I would not recommend it. There are many other places to stay that are the same price with more to offer in amenities and surroundings and with much nicer service. This was the only place and time we spent in France where the service was unpleasant and inattentive.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
hotelsaintjacques, Propriétaire at Hotel Saint-Jacques, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Guests,
First of all, we invite you to read your reservation made through Booking.com as you reserved 2 differents types of rooms : a superior twin room and a superior double room, you could not have the same room than the other couple.
Second, let's remind you that you were very thankful as we switched you to another superior double room immediately even if the high season made the hotel totally full and happy with the champagne and perfumes that we offer to our long stay guests.
Finally, we just regret that you booked 25 nights in our hotel,as you knew that you would stay only 2 nights in Paris. We understand that you gave confusing and opposite reasons to justify your anticipated departure to the hotel and to Booking.com to avoid any cancellations fees, we would have preferred a minimum of honesty in this matter.