“Nice place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1,396 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Timisoara, Romania
“Nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed at Lilas Gambetta in Paris for 4 nights and we were more than satisfied. Normally we were on our way visiting Paris early in the morning and back at the hotel late at night. The rooms are small but for a two stars hotel, they are perfect if you need a place to crash after a long day in Paris. Really very clean. I do not have any complains on this. Quiet also, considering that the walls are very thin and any loud noise will be shared with your neighbors.

There is a TV with Canal+ channels and a large array of french programs, if you are interested to watch TV while staying in Paris :))

The bathroom was equipped with a hair dryer and a shower cabin. Again, very clean. The hotel was recently renovated so it shows. Hot water immediately, not having to wait for it. A plus on this one also.

The staff is very welcoming, really pleasant to talk to. Ok, except one old guy, that happened to be at reception when I checked-out. He is kinda grumpy and didn't spoke English that good. Not a problem for me personally because I can manage a little bit of french, but just saying. Except him, the lady from the reception was really nice to talk to and really willing to help (spoke English very well also).

If you came from Bouvais airport, you can arrive to the hotel easily by taking the metro:
From Port Maillot to Hotel de Ville on the M1 line.
Then change at Hotel de Ville to line M11 and go to Porte de Lilas.
This is a long ride, so expect... 45 minutes?

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We were attending an event in the area and this was the most convenient hotel to stay in. The website made me feel a bit worried about what we were getting ourselves into, but the reality was surprisingly good.
It's basic, but clean. The staff are very helpful. We haven't tried the breakfast, so I can't comment on this.
There is a shop and a few restaurants very close by. And if you fancy it, there is a big swimming pool right across the road.
The metro is very fast and you don't have to worry about this being seemingly on the edge of Paris. You'll get to the centre within 10 - 15 minutes.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Tirgu Mures, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I just returned from a 4 days trip in Paris. We stayed in Lilas Gambetta Hotel and we were satisifed with everything. We chose the hotel as being a very good price comparing with other hotels in Paris. We paid 85 euros / night without breakfast. The hotel is situated far from the city centre ( you get to the centre in 15 minutes by metro - line 11) but with a very good conexion by metro ( the station is 3-4 minutes walking close to the hotel). The area is safe even during the night, there is a MacDonalds right when you leave the metro station and they are open all night. Also you have a super market and everything you need really close to the hotel. We decided not to take the breakfast at the hotel (it costs 8 euro/ person) because we are not real fans of the parisien breakfast. The rooms are really small but you don't need a huge room while in Paris, you only sleep there! What I liked the most is that everything is very clean, spotless in the room and bathroom and the housekeeping was daily, they changed towels every day and did the cleaning. Another great thing for a 2 star hotel is that they have hairdryer in the bathroom!! The furniture in the room is quite new , the design is also nice and it seems they changed everything not such a long time ago. Everything looks really nice. I don't know about the rooms close to the street, we had a room at the ground floor that had the window in the backyard so we didn't hear any noise. It was really great. The staff at the hotel were kind but not all of them spoke good english so if you have a problem be prepared to try to talk in French! Anyway they are willing to help you with everything! An important problem for me was that in my room I didn't have good internet signal wi fi !!! So for that I guess it's not a perfect hotel ! Maybe in other parts of the hotel the wi fi is great. Anyway I managed to stay online to check what I needed and it was ok. All in all we had a great stay at the hotel and I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't expect much luxury from a hotel but a good clean place to sleep in a safe area of Paris and with great metro connection.

Room Tip: Our room number was 004 and even if it didn't have a view , it was really quiet!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lausanne, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Pretty small- one of the smallest "double room" I have been to. My student hostel room used to be more spacious than this. Plus, the cleaning staff had the annoying habit of not fully locking the door after they are done, with all our valuable stuff in the room (although there was no knob on the door on the outside, and you really needed a key that fit to open the door, but the fact that you can easily open your hotel room without even half a key turn when you come back in the night is kinda creepy!)
Oh and btw, there were some bed bugs in the bed and that was extreeemely uncomfortable!

Room Tip: If you can afford to shell a few 10s of euros for another hotel that is closer to the city AND/OR wi...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Ludza
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

When I stay in Paris, I usually get to small rooms. This hotel was not an exception.
Anyway, people usually do not come to Paris to stay in a hotel. That is why in general we were satisfied.
It took about half an hour to go there by taxi from the airport Charles de Gaulle and cost 38 euros when we went FROM the airport and 42 euros, when we went TO the airport (more expensive, maybe, because it was at night).
The hotel is close to the metro station "Porte des Lilas" (you go up the street Gambetta and you'll be there in 3-5 minutes). Line 11 (direction Châtelet) will lead you to the very centre of Paris. We bought the ticket "Paris visite" for 5 days (cost about 31 euros) for the centre of Paris and were very satisfied with it. Despite this close location to the metro station I think that it's better to take a taxi, if you go to/from the airport Charles de Gaulle - it will be faster than the metro, if there are no traffic jams.
In the hotel there are various flyers with information about the transport and tourism sites in Paris, which we could take for free (including the map of the metro).
Down the street there is a supermarket "Monoprix".
Our French partners booked rooms several months ago, when prices were lower, and despite the growth of the prices during this time, the hotel was so kind to keep the prices on the same level as they were at the moment of booking.
When I had seen that it's only a 2 star hotel I doubted its cleanliness, but in reality it was nice. As I noticed, they changed the towels every day, though we didn't put them on the floor.
I also appreciated the fact that there is a hair-drier in the bathroom, because it's always a question before a trip - to take or not to take a hair-drier.
The windows have shutters and good thick curtains.
There is a television, though I almost didn't watch it.
Breakfast is served on the ground floor. It is the same every day: a croissant and a kind of small baguette, butter, a healthy yoghurt, jam, plenty of coffee, tea or hot chocolate. Be ready that the personnel do not speak English, but it's not difficult to learn 'cafe', 'the' and 'chocolat' in French.
The problem was with noise, because when being in our room we could hear almost everything that was going on in a neighbouring room and in the street. But I slept very well.
Another problem that I thought about is related to the WC. The toilet bowl is put between the bathtub and the window and this space is so narrow that I think that corpulent people would have problems to sit on it :)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Lilas Gambetta? Share your experiences!