This hotel is probably the best 'all rounder' for a trip to Paris. It's right next to St Lazare train station, taxi rank, bus stops etc and numerous metro stations are within a minute's walk. It's a stone's throw from many restaurants and cafes, and Boulevard Haussman shops (Printemps and LaFayette) are on your doorstep.
The hotel inside is modern, clean and comfortable. It has a nice, good sized lobby and bar area - much better fitted than many hotels in Paris, which can a bit tacky/dated. The rooms initially appear to be a little basic for a 4* hotel but its modern fittings (excellent bed!) make them pleasant and comfortable, and they are very clean and well maintained.
Most rooms are, indeed, fairly small (I think 'Privilege' rooms are bit more spacious) and have tiny bathrooms and wardrobes but they contain everything you could need. There is a kettle, minibar, free tea and coffee, hairdryer, flat TV and in-room safe. We also requested an iron and ironing board which were immediately supplied. There is free wifi available everywhere in the hotel and there is room service. The porters are sweet and speak English, and the reception staff are generally attentive enough when required.
We did not have the hotel's breakfast but given the cost of eating in Paris generally (not cheap!), I don't think it's especially expensive (hotel food is usually expensive anywhere you go). There is a Starbucks behind the hotel near the station and plenty of cafes around, so a budget breakfast is not hard to find.
Other reviewers have complained about the external noise but it seems ridiculous to expect a hotel in such a (fantastically convenient) location in the middle of a big city like Paris is sound proofed against traffic noise. The windows are double glazed and this blocks out a good deal but if you really can't tolerate a bit of city noise, best go elsewhere than stay here, then complain about it.
Having stayed in a few other 3* and 4* hotels in Paris in the past, I think this is the best I've seen for this level/category. It's a 4* because it is serviced and equipped as such, NOT because it is luxurious. For us, it included everything we needed and we slept very well so we would come back. Our booking was included with our Eurostar ticket which made it a excellent value package.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the very heart of Paris, near the Opera and the Deparment Stores "Printemps" and "Galeries Lafayette". Soundproofed & air-conditioned rooms. Direct dial-telephone, internet connection.TV, safe. Bar. Flowered courtyard. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Mercure Paris Opera Garnier reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Paris Opera Garnier Hotel Paris
- Accor Paris Opera Garnier