“location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Montpensier

Save Saved
You added Montpensier to your Saves list
Montpensier
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12, rue de Richelieu, 75001 Paris, France (Louvre / Place Vendôme)   |
Ranked #729 of 1,796 hotels in Paris

584 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

In Paris for the weekend. I already had it in mind that I wanted to stay somewhere near Place Vendome, Opéra, Palais Royale. The majority of the hotels in this area are quite expensive, and while I didn't know much about this one, I took a chance because it was relatively much cheaper than the other hotels in this area, and seemed to have decent reviews. Also, I knew that I would not be in the hotel much anyway, so I wasn't so picky.

The hotel calls itself 2-stars. Really? Maybe, when all the work that they're doing inside is complete, but if it is 2-stars, it hangs on to that status barely. The photos on the website are definitely of the hotel, but they're great photos, and the lighting is great, and the colors are super saturated. In person, it looks considerably more tired.

The most standout things to me inside the hotel itself is that it seems that it is in the midst of major remodeling. I had a room on the 4th floor, and when you exit the tiny, old-school telephone booth of an elevator, if you look one direction, it's all paint smears on half-finished walls, doors laying off the hinges, etc. If you look the other direction, where the remodelling has been finished--well, it looks pretty nice. Again, when they finish repainting and re-doing the place, based on what I've seen, it should be pretty nice.

Once inside the room...it was okay. I just needed someplace halfway decent to store my bags and for me to crash out after a day wandering the city, and for that purpose it was fine. Bed as average. Linens the same. Hardwood floors that always seemed a bit dusty to me, but that could have been the type of varnish, I'm not sure. No shower/toilet amenities at all apart from the generic liquid soap dispenser nailed to the shower stall wall. Working TV, with HD channels. Mostly all French, with a few international news channels. Windows and cupboards if you needed them.

The real advantage of this place, as mentioned earlier, is the location. This is an expensive area of Paris, near some of the big landmarks, museums, and some of the ritziest shopping, and accordingly, most hotels are considerably more expensive. Also, I love that this hotel is about about a 3 min walk from the Palais Royale/Louvre Metro station (the yellow, Line 1). That's a real bonus. Apart from having lots of things very close by foot, you can hit up everything from Arc de Triomphe all the way down to Gare de Lyon with such ease, which is another big advantage.

Probably not a great spot if you want charm, but if you want a good spot, great access and transport options, and don't plan to be in the hotel other than to pass out after long days of walking all over the town, then yeah, it's worth considering.

Room Tip: My room was renovated recently. I'm not sure if all of them have. Might be worth it to ask, as...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights here. There were 2 of us travelling. The hotel was a little difficult to find at first (considering that my friend and I both do not know French and travelled to Paris by train), but we were lucky that we met a good French Samaritan that actually walked us to the street from Chatelet les Halles. My advice is to take the train to the Pyramides station if you want minimal walking distance to the hotel. The Chatelet les Halles is walking distance (about 15-20 minutes) if you know the direction and if you are not lugging luggage with you.

But other than the difficulty in finding the hotel at first, it is actually at a great location, it is near the Lourve (and if you walk from the Lourve, it is possible to reach a lot of the main attractions by foot) and train stations. The hotel was reasonably priced by Paris standards and gives a vintage sort of feel to it. The lift was like one of those old school small lifts that can only just fit 2 people which my friend and I thought was quite cute. The staff are also great and very helpful. We arrived early (before our check in time) and the staff tried to check us in as soon as possible without charging us any extra. So we waited for only about 30 mins and was given our room. The hotel provides free wifi that works for both computer and smart phone which is really handy. The room was pretty small and basic but as we were out sightseeing most of the time, so we were satisfied with it. The room and toilet were clean, and the room itself was pretty cozy, quiet and comfortable. They have a system of leaving your room key at the reception whenever you are out which is a little different, but it didn't bother us much.

There also seemed to some renovations going on at the hotel while we were there but it didn't bother us much as they only worked during the day time when we were out anyway.

All in all, a pretty reasonable value hotel for Paris if you are after something that provides good location, and clean rooms and toilets.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Jonkoping, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

It was very nice to stay in this hotel. It seemed like little bit expensive for two stars hotel but it's worth it since it's located in the heart of Paris. You can easily walk to the city center, finding restaurants (from five stars to food stalls) and shopping centres. Even Louvre is just 5 minutes walk from the hotel. The staffs were also very helpful and friendly. The only disadvantage was just the elevator is too small. It's just only for 1 person. And perhaps a bit tricky to use the room key because it had unusual way to open the door.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Where do I begin? I looked at the ratings this hotel had and it looked ok, there were some negative reviews which I chose to ignore - big mistake. Ok the location is excellent, but cabs and the metro in Paris is so cheap, who cares?

1) My room (31) smelt like a cheap chinese take away
2) The walls are paper thin, the chattering of the Spanish in room 32 was as if they were in the same room.
3) It was a building site with building material stacked on the stairs.
4) It was very shabby with missing roof tiles in the false ceiling.
5) The decor was from the 1970s
(I took some pics so can prove points 3-5)
I was staying for 2 days on my own and then joined by my wife and daughter for a further 3 nights - as soon as possible we checked out and went to another hotel which cost €15 per night more and was paradise - Hotel Alison.

Put simply - do not stay here, you have been warned

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Been to Montpensier? Share your experiences!