“La Samaritaine is to be reborn in 2014!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Samaritaine

Samaritaine
19 rue de la Monnaie | (Currently closed for security work.), Paris, France (Louvre / Place Vendôme)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #444 of 636 Attractions in Paris
Type: Architectural Buildings, Department Stores, Lookouts, Cultural
Activities: Dining, Shopping
More attraction details
Owner description: Department store closed due to works for the purpose of security.
Antibes
“La Samaritaine is to be reborn in 2014!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

The upper terrace of La Samaritaine is where I used to frequently take my morning café crème and croissant, when I was in my most favourite of all cites in Europe .... Paris. I would then saunter off into the main store to buy wonderful stockings in the hosiery department, and was often tempted by Clarins and Thierry Mugler in the perfumery en route! Like many devotees, I cried when they padlocked the doors, and Samaritaine ceased to breathe and exhude the smells and flavours of this magical city. The great news is that the prestige LVMH group, along with Japanese architects, are turning it into the divinely luxurious Hôtel Le Cheval Blanc, scheduled for opening in 2014. I have seen some of the planner's sketches and it would seem that much of the original art deco splendour will be retained. The 80 bedrooms will all directly overlook the Seine. Rumour has it that is better not to even speculate on room rates at this stage ..... but it will definitely be in 4 figures! I cannot promise that there will still be an open roof terrace, but there will definitely be plenty of opportunity to shop. Even if I cannot avoid to stay there, I will definitely be back to see the "reborn Samaritaine" in 2014. I have given it a 5 star advance rating on my past memories.

Visited July 2011

Cardiff, United Kingdom
87 attraction reviews
“it's closed !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Used to be an enormous shop with excellent views from the terrace, but it's been closed for years with no sign of redevelopment. Looks very imposing from across the river but up close it's derelict.Owned by the Cognac_Jay family visit their museum elsewhere.

Visited May 2012
united kingdom
“La Samaritaine - What a shame”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

It was late summer 2006 and it was my very first trip to Paris. One of my friends had recommended that I visit the La Samaritaine and to make sure that we went to the top
floor for refreshments and the fabulous views. We went on our last day and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We had lunch on the Roof Terrace in the sunshine, and the views were spectacular. When we left we were looking for the way out and found a small exhibition on the building and its life as a department store. It was such a lovely story about the people that had worked there over the years. On getting to the Ground floor I could'nt help looking at the lovely jewellery and chose a beautifull doll broach to bring home as a reminder of my first wonderfull trip to Paris. Its now 2010 and I'm planning to go back to paris and was hoping to return to the La Samaritaine once more but am saddened to find out that the building has had to be shut down because of a security risk and the risk of Fire. I very much hope that this problem will be rectified in the near future and that this building can be brought back to its former glory for all to enjoy.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Loved the view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2004

In 1993 I visited this department store with my 2 daughters. We spent a very nice afternoon there, ending with going up to the roof top and seeing a full circle view of Paris with all the important buildings named. We chose that very spot to say our goodbyes to Paris. In August I will return to Paris and that will be one of the spots that I will visit again. There's a place to have a drink and watch the panorama.