“Wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #87 of 726 Activities in Paris
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A walking-public/city bus tour that takes you to the Paris haunts, hangouts and places made famous by African-Americans. Founded in 1997 by former newscaster and travel reporter, Ricki Stevenson, Black Paris Tours provides little-known facts about the early presence of Africans and African Americans in the City of Light and introduces travelers to great jazz clubs, Diaspora museums of interest and restaurants worth writing home about!
Georgia
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

My wife daughter and I really enjoyed this tour. We learned a great deal about the Black presence in Paris. Our guide was knowledgeable as well as friendly. After the tour she also provided us with information concerning Parisian culture, traveling about Paris, shopping, etc. I highly recommend this tour.

Atlanta, Georgia
20 attraction reviews
“An Absolute Must Do on your visit to Paris”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

My husband and I join Ms Stevens on the Black Paris tour. We absolutely loved it. Not only Is she incredibly knowledgable, but she has a passion for the history she imparts that is infectious! We learned far more than we expected too. In addition, she helped us feel totally at ease continuing to explore Paris on our own. She helped us with everything from finding a local laundromat to shopping off the beaten track. Lunch at a local ethnic restaurant was wonderful and we would not have found it on our own.

When we first got off the train from London and taxied to our hotel, I looked around and thought, another big, graffiti scarred city like my birthplace - New York. But after the Black Paris tour, I have an entirely new view of and enthusiasm about this city! Don't miss this tour. It is fantastic.

Hemet, California
35 attraction reviews
“Lesson in Black History”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

The tour was very informative and gave an in depth lesson in black history. It was wonderful to hear how blacks have contributed to not only to French history but to history worldwide.

“Terrific!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had visited Paris several times but Ricki introduced us to a Paris we had never seen. What we learned was amazing. Who knew that Blacks made such a contribution to France. Ricki's knowledge is encyclopedic.

Visited October 2012
Greenwood Village, Colorado
4 attraction reviews
“Excellent way to learn history and be entertained”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

First, this is a MUST tour for EVERYONE of any nationality and ethnicity, who has a love of history, jazz, literature, the arts, Paris, the United States and learning! It is obviously a history of black people, both French and African-American, in Paris, but I can't imagine anyone who is a true traveler not wanting to hear about this fascinating part of our American heritage that is unknown, in many respects. Although I had always known that many prominent black Americans made Paris home in the last century for various reasons, I did not realize the extent to which Paris became a refuge and permitted a more fulsome life and opportunity, in many cases, free from the discrimination faced in the United States, This was one of the most interesting and fun things my husband and I have ever done. Ricki and her team have a huge wealth of knowledge gained from extensive research and living in Paris, that they will share with you in such an entertaining way that you won't even realize how much information you are soaking up. It starts with Ricki's history lesson on the beginnings of Paris, the layout of the city, the design of the city by Eugene Haussmann, the Louisiana Purchase and its significance, and other background. You will hear stories of many famous people you know, such as Alexander Dumas, Josephine Baker, Frederick Douglass, etc. and you will visit the Arc de Triomphe and learn about its design and history, and relevance to Black Paris, including General Dumas, one of the highest ranking military officers in Napolean's army. You will hear many things you've never learned in any history class, and will have a number of "aha' moments as you learn the whys and hows of the black experience in Paris and how it was shaped by American attitudes, culture and society from the 1700s to the late 20th century. In addition, Ricki provides an abundance of information on Paris and getting around, such as how important it is to properly greet people, decorum, etiquette, and lots of information on restaurants and entertainment. You also get a terrific walking and bus tour to various parts of Paris that aren't necessarily on the standard tourist routes. We've been here for several weeks and had never been to some of these sites before (Paris is just so large!). The people who comprise the tour groups are interesting as well. While visiting a famous tea shop, one of our group ran into someone who used to work for her in another country. It was an unexpected, happy reunion with hugs and photos. We highly recommend this to everyone.