“Charged my credit card even though I had cancelled the reservation in plenty of time.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel du Dragon

Hotel du Dragon
You added Hotel du Dragon to your Saves list
Hotel du Dragon
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   36, rue du Dragon, 75006 Paris, France (Luxembourg)   |
Ranked #1,259 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2009

Was looking into hotel options in Paris, and their website requires you to submit credit card info before confirming availability. The hotel emailed to say that my reservation was confirmed. I immediately wrote back to say that I just wanted to check availability, and to make sure that any reservation was canceled, because I was not prepared to make a reservation. (Especially after reading some of these reviews!) My credit card got charged anyway. Pretty shady.

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London,UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

I have been staying at "The Dragon" for more than 15 years on frequent trips to Paris, and often take several friends. I really hate to tell people about it because I don't want it to be booked up when I want to go! It's been in the same family for ages and is a tall old house (winding old wooden staircase, no lift, some rooms with exposed beams etc). It is the sort of family-run place you used to get all over France but is fast disappearing, and is a real rarity in Paris. It used to have flowered wallpaper all over (doors, pipes etc) which I loved, but decor in rooms now modernised and very nice. Yes, it's noisy on the front, and it doesn't have air conditioning (stay in a modern hotel and pay more if you want that). Rooms at the back are very quiet. Beds are good, small TV with French stations, and bathrooms fine -- many with small baths. Rooms generally very good size. My friends who've had breakfast there say it is good (typical French bread/jam/croissant). The Dragon is perfectly located in the 6th -- the best bit of Paris -- close to good metro and bus connections and very walkable all over the Rive Gauche. For women who shop (like me and my friends) it is even more perfect because you fall out of it into a great street of little cool shops (whole area full of those) and very close to Bon Marche, which is much better than the Grand Magasins. Lots of good restaurants around (try Chez Fernande in rue Guisarde for authentic French with a twist) and best patisserie in Paris nearby (Pierre Herme). Direct metro from Gare du Nord to Saint Sulpice to get there. If you want a really good value 2 star hotel in great location and you like the feel of an old fashioned family run place, this is just about perfect.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Victoria, BC, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

Booked through the tourism authority at gare du nord.
It is a basic hotel with nothing fancy but the bathroom and bed was fine. The location was good right in St. Germain des Pres. Only downside, was rooms were hot, no A/C, and the street below was VERY loud. People shouting all night, sirens, scooters, cars screaming by but hey, it's Paris!

All in all, a great location, and a decent hotel. I think I paid 60 euros per night.

• Liked — Cheap, basic, location, internet
  • Disliked — Loud noises from the street, hot rooms, no A/C, leaving the key at the lobby too was annoying
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tucson
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2007

This was our third stay at Hotel du Dragon. The first two had gone without incident. It isn't a luxurious place, just simple and functional and brilliantly located -- all we needed for a weekend spent wandering the city with old friends. This time we went on our own, arriving by Eurostar in the early evening. After a nice dinner and a walk around the neighborhood we went to bed. A couple of hours later my husband leaped out of bed saying that he was being bitten. When we pulled back the covers we found tiny bugs crawling on the sheets. We dragged the bedding down to the desk, demanding a different room. They gave us new bedding, but had no other room to put us in. The clean sheets were no help -- the bed itself was clearly infested and we spent a sleepless night trapping bugs in a glass to show management. Groggy and miserable, we presented our evidence to the manager in the morning. He offered us free breakfast which we declined. After some haggling we convinced him to return half of the E140 we had paid for the room. But du Dragon is definitely off our list!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Below minimum standard expected of any hotel
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2006

Stayed at hotel September/October 2006. They have remodeled and rooms are a dingy grey! Used to be bright, happy colors. Oh well. Staff knew very little and not particularly helpful. Get the weekly magazine for 40 centimes. Hotel did not wake me up on the morning I was leaving!!!!!!!!!!! They woke me up to say taxi was waiting. Take an alarm clock! The p.m. staff is helpful, nice, and really quite wonderful. Best thing is the location. It's excellent. Go to the muffin shop down the street. Run by an American. Great coffee, sandwiches, and muffins. Only prob. is that they don't open until 10a.m. Go to Mono Prix - great cheap store with food, clothes -- everything. I lived on their camembert sandwiches. Go to Zara for clothes. Great prices. Oh yes, hotel is very quiet. That's good.

Stayed September 2006
Allentown, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2006

There is no AC, at least not in the two rooms that our family used, so summer travelers take note. It was stuffy while being 65 degrees outside; we slept with windows open. Stairs are not for older travelers with large suitcases. A pre-trip email request for a restaurant reservation was denied because a credit card number would be needed. I called the restaurant personally at extra expense; no credit card needed. The 8 euro breakfast consists of generous coffee, tea, or hot chocolate; a croissant and half baguette; and a glass of juice. My bed was lower at the head; I slept at the foot of the bed. Fire protection is lacking; have an escape plan.

• Stayed June 2006
Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2005

We really enjoyed our stay -- my husband and I stayed in a double facing the street and our kids stayed in a triple facing the courtyard. Both rooms were spacious, clean, and comfortable. The bathrooms were among the nicest we saw on our trip. The rooms were quiet -- except the one on the street during the summer solstice (a great night to be in Paris, but don't try to sleep). The location is fantastic; near metro stops and within walking distance of many attractions. I can't wait to go back to Paris and du Dragon.

• Stayed June 2005

Been to Hotel du Dragon? Share your experiences!