“Feel like you are a part of St. Germain in Paris” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel du Dragon
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   36, rue du Dragon, 75006 Paris, France (Luxembourg)   |
Ranked #1,258 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Seattle, Washington
“Feel like you are a part of St. Germain in Paris”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

This hotel is an acquired taste. I loved my stay because I felt like I was a part of the bustling, vibrant, welcoming neighborhood. I didn't feel like a tourist. I was hardly in my room because even when I was tired from walking to the Louvre or Marais and back, the neighborhood revived me. I had to go out and just enjoy the sights and sounds.

The hotel is small and old, but I find it charming more than rundown. My single room was a perfect size. I did have a shower, but personally I prefer that. I was on a high floor, but after walking up and down stairs all day throughout Paris, 3 more floors isn't a big deal. The strapping young man who checked me in quickly and efficiently would probably have carried my bags up if I asked him. I didn't use the breakfast option because I like to try a new cafe every morning, but you barely have to leave the short Rue du Dragon to find 2-3 patisseries and cafés.

The wifi worked great which turned out to be a lifesaver as I wasn't supposed to be travelling for business, but the office fell into chaos (not because of me). But I spent a few hours on Skype calls and Google chat. So I even found that I could do business from the unbusinesslike hotel.

You'll probably either love it or hate it, but I've never stayed in Paris and felt more at home.

Room Tip: Luck of the draw? I stayed in a "air shaft" room with no view but found it quiet, ventilat...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012 via mobile

Small cosy clean hotel at affordable price in the heart of saint germain with excellent service. Only small negative point is the lack of elevato

• Stayed April 2012
Providence, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

Hotel du Dragon is a relatively inexpensive, relatively old-fashioned, Parisian hotel off Blvd. St. Germain des Pres, well located for the metro, buses, and restaurants.
We stayed for six days at about $210 per day for a double room and breakfast for two. The rooms have wi-fi, t.v., hair-dryers and some are further"modernized." We were first assigned to a lately renovated room on the ground floor, which we disliked because it had no window and it's new bathroom was awkward for us. The management was fine about changing us to a more traditional third-floor room with a window, which was quiet and comfortable but, like the hotel as a whole, more than slightly seedy. We didn't expect things to be otherwise and were not, therefore, shocked by the lack of soap or the thinness of the towels. The manager(?) spoke good English and was quite helpful, as were the rest of the staff, as far as our poor French and their poor English would allow( we printed our boarding passes on the office computer and once got tea water and cups from the kitchen). Most hotel guests seemed to be French or Scandinavian.

What we liked most about Hotel du Dragon was LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.
1.) This is a good shopping area for women's clothing, costume jewelry, leather goods, and shoes. Burberry at the top of the street and, in the opposite direction, Bon Marche is in walking distance, as well as many small boutiques on and around Rue du Dragon.
2.) Although some might prefer to take the bus, we walked back and forth to the Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, and Musee de L'Orangerie. We were glad we hadn't purchased the expensive PARIS PASS, because we didn't need the transportation component.
3.) The number of highly rated small restaurants and brasseries in the vicinity is amazing. Although we had recommendations from friends, we ended up relying more on Trip Advisor's "In your neighborhood" and our own impressions of places we walked past.

Advice
If you're not early risers, don't get the hotel breakfast, there are a couple of bakery/take-out places right on the block that are better and cheaper.

Get the museum pass for as many days as you need it. It's wonderful to walk right in, past the crowds of waiting people (crowds even in April, it must be murder in the summer) and it covers other attractions besides museums.

Room Tip: No elevator, so try for the second or third floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Milan, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

It was the worst part of a fantastic week end in Paris.
I kindly asked at the moment of reservation that i would like to stay in a lower floor room (i read in tripadvisor that was no elevator). They send me a mail saying that they booked the HIGHER floor! I thought they were wrong, or it was a mistake but when i came there (1.a.m. in the morning) they gave me the more higher room. The guy at the reception didn't help us (me an my girlfriend!) to carry the luggages (5 floors with horrible stairs!!!) and i asked again for a change but he said that he could do any change (by the way we saw on the PC that a loto of double room were available at lower floors!!! ?!?!?)...Mah...after that....no shower gel....room not to much cleaned....
We asked the day after for a change and they said "Ok take your baggage downstairs" because the would not "allowed" to help us doin that. No words.
We asked agian for the shower gel and when we came back there was no shower gel (only shampoo)...we called the reception and he said "ok come and take it"!!!The day after i went to take the shower gel....and there was no shower gel...only Shampoo!!!
I had finally to pay cash because they had credit card reader off line. So i had also to withdraw cash (and pay relevant fee).

I strongly suggest to not go there!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Only the good point of this hotel is the location. All others are of low quality. Therefore, I rated the value =2.

Although its web says bath tub is in every room, only a few rooms have it.
The rooms are old dark and small with small bed and without bath tub, although it costed about E120 in the late June 2011. In addition, no hot water for drink

Before booking I had emailed to the manager whether the my room to be reserved had a bath tub. The manager replied "Every room have bath tub" (with a grammar error).
However, I found no bath tub in my room on my arrival.

I claimed to a hotel staff by showing the copy of the email. He explained my claim to the manager. But, manager did not do anything or apology, because only a few rooms have bath tub in reality.

The hotel staff, who was the only only staff of the hotel during the night, had sympathy to me and said "This is not usual. The manager is wrong!".
To verify that what I report here is true, I asked him to write a memo on the copy of the email. "Il n'y a pas de Baignoire dans le chamber 38. J'ai laie le chamber 38 a M. my_name 25-6-2011 his_singnature"

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Cambridge, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

This is a reasonable choice for a not-too-expensive hotel on the Left Bank in Paris. The location is fabulous, steps from the St. Germain action, but on a quiet street. My single room was very, very tiny. You sit on the toilet and the sink is practically in your face. The shower is so tight that once my back hit the faucet handle and switched the water to hot all of a sudden. Steps are very steep if you've got luggage. Double or larger rooms might be better. But if you're very careful with the space, it's tolerable. It's clean and well maintained. The street is quiet, but my room faced an interior court, and with no ventilation or AC I had to open the windows and heard others, though my neighbors were well behaved. Welcome was a bit brusque at first, in the Paris manner, but they warmed up to me after I was there a while. Pretty typical for an inexpensive Paris hotel, and a reasonable choice.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011 via mobile

Great small hotel tucked away in rue du dragon. Ideally located in saint germain, accessible by direct bus from gare de Lyon. Room 31 small-ish but very clean, freshly renovated as well as the bathroom. only slight disadvantage was the lack of lift to reach the 5th floor, but then again it's part Of the charm of old buildings in Paris.

• Stayed July 2011

Been to Hotel du Dragon? Share your experiences!