“Great location, terrible service” 3 of 5 stars

Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #708 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
“Great location, terrible service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

The location of this hotel is fantastic and the rooms clean and comfortable. I could see the Eiffel Tower from my window if I stuck my head out, which was lovely. The service was unfortunately terrible.
On the day I arrived the elevator was broken, so I was told I would have to take the stairs to my room on the fourth floor. Since I had just spent a considerable amount of time wrestling my suitcases up and down countless stairs in Paris’s Metro system (where elevators are either non-existent or difficult to access), I was not eager to carry my suitcases up another four flights of stairs. The man at the reception desk just looked at me, and didn’t offer to help. I told him to look after my large suitcase while I take the smaller suitcase and bag to my room. Only after I came down again and stood there looking a bit desperate as I tried to figure how I would get the large suitcase up all those stairs did he suggest that I could wait for his colleague to help me. The latter, he said, would be taking over at 7:30 pm. It was then just after 4 pm. I agreed to wait, but it meant that I was stuck in the room until then waiting for my clothing so that I could take a shower.
On my day off, I wanted to go to the Louvre but had heard that it’s best to buy tickets online since the line-ups at the Louvre itself could be long. I phoned the reception desk to ask whether they would allow me to print out my ticket if I ordered it online, and they said yes, just to e-mail the tickets to them. When I went down to get the tickets, it turned out that the printer was not working. The man at the reception was relatively computer illiterate, so I tried to make suggestions for how to fix the printer, but he had trouble following these, in part due to the language gap. When I asked if I could try to fix it myself, he refused. At the previous Hotel at which I stayed – the lovely Hotel Five in the Latin Quarter – the super friendly staff allowed me to use their computer to access my e-mail and print out my conference paper. But here I was treated as though I would somehow harm the computer. To make a long story short, I ended up having to stand in the queue at the Louvre after all, and having to pay for yet another ticket.
I also became ill one night and phoned down to reception to find out how I might access a doctor. The receptionist at first did not know but then suggested a number I could call. I called the number, but everything was in French, which didn’t help since I don’t speak French. When I called reception again he said that he would try to find an alternative number. After much time had passed he phoned back with a different number, but by that time I had already started feeling better. The gist of this is that you should not expect helpful service at this hotel should you happen to get sick.
Having said all of this, I would still recommend staying at this hotel, because it is reasonably priced and the location is truly great. It is right across the street from a wonderful restaurant that served me one of the best pasta dishes I had ever had, and an ice-cream parlor that sells possibly the best ice-cream on the planet.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
37402671, Responsable relations publiques at Welcome Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Dear HJohannaS,

We thank you for taking time to write a comment about Welcome Hotel. However, we are sorry to learn your bad experience.

Feedback are very important for us but that is unusual to read that service was terrible at Welcome Hotel. That is why we tryed to know what happened during your stay.

First of all, we want to apologize for the failure of lift. We understand the inconvenience caused. Receptionnist could not bring your luggage to the room before 7.30 pm because he could not leave the reception before his other colleague arrives. He proposed you to carry it in order to help you, and if he could have come to your room before, he would have done it.
Concerning your tickets, it seems that you have been a unfortunate victime of a series of technical problems. Printer was capricious. Receptionnists are not used to let a customer go behind the reception. It was not because of you, but that was just the rule.
Last thing is the phone number the night audit gave you to call a doctor. At night it is always more complicated to have someone on the phone and he gave you the phone number we always use. Next time, do not hesitate to ask him to call the doctor for you.

We are very sorry to read that you got this feeling about service at Welcome Hotel because that is the most important for us.
We hope to welcome you again at Welcome Hotel in order to make you forget your previous experience.

Kind Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

My wife and I disagree on this hotel everytime we travel to Paris. The rooms are way too small, it is very noisy, the elevator barely fits two people, etc. But you cannot beat the location. I give in everytime when I think about where we will be going and what we want to see. Be prepared to be very close to your fellow traveler(s).

Room Tip: If traveling with small children, maybe even teenagers, you may want to look elsewhere.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
37402671, Responsable relations publiques at Welcome Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear Jim M,

We thank you for taking time to write a comment about Welcome Hotel.
As you could see, Saint-Germain des Près is a very nice district full of history. Thus, the age of the buildings explains the size of the rooms. That is why we pay much attention to comfort and hospitality.
We understood that you are a regular guest and we would like to thank you for your loyalty regarding Welcome Hotel.
We hope to welcome you again for your next trip to Paris.

Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Location and price are excellent! Rooms and bath are simple , staff very friendly and helpful that's why I keep going back. I've brought over a dozen people and they feel the same way, we almost took over the entire hotel for New Year's 2000. More expensive now with the Euro but still a great value.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Dear MJ R,

We would like to thank you for writing a comment about Welcome Hotel.
We easily understand why you enjoy coming to Saint-Germain des Près. It is a very nice and lively district.
As you wrote it, Welcome Hotel is a simply but cosy hotel. All our staff feels very involved in the welfare of our guests, and your loyalty is our greatest reward.

We hope to see you soon at Welcome Hotel in order to show you all the renovations we made since your last visit.

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

This little hotel in Paris may not be fancy, but the price and the location are right. The staff was freindly and helpful. And they are working on doing some upgrades. And the parking garage is only a couple of blocks away - if you want to drive into the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room and the Rue De Seine side of the hotel for a little less noise.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
37402671, Responsable relations publiques at Welcome Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2012
Dear Mark T,

We would like to thank you for writing a comment about Welcome Hotel.
There are not many of two stars hotels in St-Germain and we are lucky to be one of those. It is a pleasure to work in that area and to receive guests who discover it.
As you could see, we are making some renovations in the corridor and in breakfast room.

We hope you will come back soon and tell us what you think about that.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

Like many other hotels in Paris, Hotel Welcome is tiny. The rooms are incredbly small. I asked for a room with two single beds because the double room was quite small for two adults. The bathroom didn´t have a shower only a bath tube, and the heating can make lot´s of noise.
The hotel service is good. The view is wonderful, the staff is helpfull and polite. There´s a supermarket just on the other side of the street. You can buy things there and heat up to eat at the hotel. The location is awesome, in the heart of paris near to everything. The price is not expensive to Paris either. Good wi-fi free of charge. Lot´s of channels (all in french) on the telly.

I think is a good deal if you only need a place to rest and sleep at the end of the day.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
37402671, Responsable relations publiques at Welcome Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear Simone W,

We thank you for taking time to post a comment about Welcome Hotel.

St-Germain des Près is a perfect location to visit Paris, central, nice, with a village atmosphear. However, it's an old area, with old buildings, which explains size of the rooms. We just made a lot of renovations in order to improve our service and well being of our customers. Heating and air-conditioning are new, carpets and paintings in stairs and coridors also. Rooms have been renovated last year.

Feedback is very important for us and be sure that we noticed all your remarks.

We hope we will welcome you again in order to show you improvements.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is very good, the room size is okay and the service is not bad. But the location couldn't be better. The price makes is worth it too!

• Stayed May 2011
Dear ThaisOreilly,

We thank you for writing a comment about Welcome Hotel.

It is a pleasure to read that you had such a nice stay with us. St-Germain des Près is a perfect location for a visit of Paris and Welcome Hotel is located in its deep heart.

Renovations have been made since your last stay with us and we hope to welcome you again in order to show you improvements.

Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

You can't fault the location of this hotel. Restaurants, shops and supermarket right at the door. Two Metro stations -Odeon and Mabillon within 100metres, and a very comfortable room. The receptionist is very helpful, and speaks extremely good English. The room is comfortable and clean, and despite overlooking Bvd St Germaine, very quiet. Very good value for money.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to Welcome Hotel? Share your experiences!