“30th anniversary” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #99 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“30th anniversary”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The hotel surpassed our expectations
• Superb location
• Very clean rooms
• Great value for money
• Good air condition
• Bright design
• Excellent value breakfast
• Didier and Melodie were very professional – recommended bistros, even check us in for Air France flight on-line

We will be back I assure you, rugby or no rugby

Willie & Evelyn Bell

Room Tip: Even rooms at front of hotel are quiet due to a)double galzzing b) Rue du Bouloi is not busy
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Korean first
King's Lynn, null, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This place was excellent.. We stayed for 2 nights and the people couldnt have been more helpful and easy to get on with..

Being just 500m from the louvre its an awesome location..

The rooms are really clean and with the style give a really unique feel.

For a little city break this really was the perfect place to stay and would recommend it to all..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Illinois, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in September. This was our first time in Paris, and we were both very pleased with this hotel. The location was within walking distance of several sights we visited. For other areas which required a taxi, the hotel staff was very helpful in calling and arranging for a cab to pick us up. The decor was fabulous! This is a very unique hotel and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. We chose to stay on the 6th floor. The elevator only goes to the 5th floor, but we didn't mind. We considered our whole trip an adventure, and carrying the luggage up one flight of stairs was not a hassle for us. Our room was unique, clean, and quiet with a very comfortable bed. Yes, the room was small, but in my opinion that added to the quaintness of the hotel. I loved this place and am very pleased with our choice to stay here. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

If you want the romantic Paris experience then this is the hotel it has the mojo. Friendly staff and while the rooms are very small the decor and quaint atmosphere of the hotel outweighs this. Very well located you walk out the door and feel you are immersed in Parisian lifestyle. Surrounded by a large range of restuarants. Highly recommned!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My teenaged son and I stayed here for 6 days during our trip to France. We loved it! The rooms, as we had read, were small but how much time do you spend in them? They were decorated in a fun way with funky colors and wallpaper. The bathrooms were very modern and clean.

The location was very convenient to the Metro and within walking distance to the Louvre and Notre Dame. The staff spoke English and was very helpful navigating us and suggesting great restaurants close by.

I would skip their breakfast and just go out and grab a croissant at any corner!

Room Tip: If you don't like small elevators, ask for a lower floor. We used the winding staircase all the...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I found Hotel Crayon to be a charming little boutique hotel in an absolutely perfect location.

As soon as I stepped through the front doors of the Hotel my eyes lit up. It was so vibrant and refreshingly bright. There was beautiful art all over the walls, a giant pencil for decoration, exquisite wallpaper, a goldfish named Popeye... It was simply a visual delight, like a macaroon for my eyes.

A massive wave of relief washed over me when I learned that the Reception Staff spoke English and were very warm and friendly. Weren’t the French supposed to hate the British? It certainly didn’t seem so, and incidentally in every single restaurant, bar, café and museum we visited, we experienced only the best and friendliest of service. We were even stopped several times in the street by various French people trying to ask directions or commenting on something nearby us, and again, they were all extremely warm and friendly.

So back to the hotel… I noticed that several reviews mentioned that the rooms were rather small, and although our room on the fifth floor wasn’t massive for the price, I felt that it was of an adequate size. Especially since we only really went there to sleep or to rest our tired feet for half an hour during the day. In fact, it wasn’t really any much smaller than various other rooms that I have stayed in in England.

The bed was very large and comfortable with lovely, sumptuous pillows, and even though my boyfriend said that he didn’t sleep very, that was mainly because of his bad back. My slumber on the other hand very much resembled the proverbial log. I found the dim lighting, and the quietness of the street we were on created a cosy, relaxing atmosphere, cushioning us from the busy city to be found only minutes away.

My worry about getting cold at night was soon put to rest when we noticed that our room had a heating/ac unit installed on the wall, so that we could regulate the temperature to our exact liking (which had to become a compromise for either always hot bf or chill-bound me).

I loved the quaint, vintage-style wardrobe and desk in the room, the earthy, warm terracotta walls, and it was a bonus to also have a full-length mirror in there. Each room is scented with its own aromatherapy as well, which you can ask the reception staff to change if you wish.

The whole place was spotlessly clean, the bathroom was well-lit and the shower was hot and powerful.
Although I would have preferred a bit more counter space in the bathroom for my toiletries, as I ended up just having to put them on the floor.

Small samples of shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and body lotion were provided, but we needed to go out and buy our own shower gel to supplement what was there. They also provided a complementary shoe-shine sponge, which made me smile since I haven’t shined my shoes since I was in primary school.

Although the bathroom was quite well-lit, I would have also preferred if the bedroom had some sort of overhead lighting, because even though there were a couple of lamps in there, the room always felt a bit too dark for me (especially when I was trying to check in the mirror that my million layers of thermals and clothes didn’t make me look like the Michelin man!).

I absolutely loved that we had free wifi for all our devices, so we could easily upload each day’s photos to facebook or send a quick email to our family, and there was also a big TV, which even had a channel in English (it was only a news channel, but finding it made my day!).

There weren’t any tea or coffee making facilities in our room, but there were some provided downstairs in the lobby, along with other drinks, working on an honesty box system. (I couldn’t find the honesty box though, and was too shy to ask, so we went without).

The location, as I mentioned before, could not have been more perfect for my first visit to Paris. We were literally only about seven minutes walk from the Louvre, ten minutes away from the River Seine, and we found that restaurants, cafes, and the best cocktails you have ever tasted surrounded us aplenty.

We even managed to walk to Notre Dame Cathedral (I can’t say exactly how long it took us because we were dawdling) and it only took us about fifteen minutes to reach the Pompidou Centre (one of my favourite places in Paris). A visit to the Eiffel Tower did require a cab ride, however it was no big deal, it was only about a ten minute drive.

So, in conclusion, what words would I use to sum up Hotel Crayon? I would say that it is: intimate, cosy, charming, quirky, enchanting, arty, friendly, clean, colourful and original.

Oh, and if you do go, be sure to try some of the complimentary macaroons and chocolates in the lobby – your taste buds will explode with deliciousness!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My 10-year-old daughter and I spent a w/e in Paris in February 2013 and had a great time. The hotel was perfect for us: intimate, friendly and cozy.

The staff were helpful and knowledgeable; the room was small but spotless and well designed. The beds were very comfortable, and the breakfast plentiful.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Crayon by Elegancia? Share your experiences!