“A charming little gem, perfect for my first visit to Paris.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #92 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
London, United Kingdom
“A charming little gem, perfect for my first visit to Paris.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I found Hotel Crayon to be a charming little boutique hotel in an absolutely perfect location.

As soon as I stepped through the front doors of the Hotel my eyes lit up. It was so vibrant and refreshingly bright. There was beautiful art all over the walls, a giant pencil for decoration, exquisite wallpaper, a goldfish named Popeye... It was simply a visual delight, like a macaroon for my eyes.

A massive wave of relief washed over me when I learned that the Reception Staff spoke English and were very warm and friendly. Weren’t the French supposed to hate the British? It certainly didn’t seem so, and incidentally in every single restaurant, bar, café and museum we visited, we experienced only the best and friendliest of service. We were even stopped several times in the street by various French people trying to ask directions or commenting on something nearby us, and again, they were all extremely warm and friendly.

So back to the hotel… I noticed that several reviews mentioned that the rooms were rather small, and although our room on the fifth floor wasn’t massive for the price, I felt that it was of an adequate size. Especially since we only really went there to sleep or to rest our tired feet for half an hour during the day. In fact, it wasn’t really any much smaller than various other rooms that I have stayed in in England.

The bed was very large and comfortable with lovely, sumptuous pillows, and even though my boyfriend said that he didn’t sleep very, that was mainly because of his bad back. My slumber on the other hand very much resembled the proverbial log. I found the dim lighting, and the quietness of the street we were on created a cosy, relaxing atmosphere, cushioning us from the busy city to be found only minutes away.

My worry about getting cold at night was soon put to rest when we noticed that our room had a heating/ac unit installed on the wall, so that we could regulate the temperature to our exact liking (which had to become a compromise for either always hot bf or chill-bound me).

I loved the quaint, vintage-style wardrobe and desk in the room, the earthy, warm terracotta walls, and it was a bonus to also have a full-length mirror in there. Each room is scented with its own aromatherapy as well, which you can ask the reception staff to change if you wish.

The whole place was spotlessly clean, the bathroom was well-lit and the shower was hot and powerful.
Although I would have preferred a bit more counter space in the bathroom for my toiletries, as I ended up just having to put them on the floor.

Small samples of shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and body lotion were provided, but we needed to go out and buy our own shower gel to supplement what was there. They also provided a complementary shoe-shine sponge, which made me smile since I haven’t shined my shoes since I was in primary school.

Although the bathroom was quite well-lit, I would have also preferred if the bedroom had some sort of overhead lighting, because even though there were a couple of lamps in there, the room always felt a bit too dark for me (especially when I was trying to check in the mirror that my million layers of thermals and clothes didn’t make me look like the Michelin man!).

I absolutely loved that we had free wifi for all our devices, so we could easily upload each day’s photos to facebook or send a quick email to our family, and there was also a big TV, which even had a channel in English (it was only a news channel, but finding it made my day!).

There weren’t any tea or coffee making facilities in our room, but there were some provided downstairs in the lobby, along with other drinks, working on an honesty box system. (I couldn’t find the honesty box though, and was too shy to ask, so we went without).

The location, as I mentioned before, could not have been more perfect for my first visit to Paris. We were literally only about seven minutes walk from the Louvre, ten minutes away from the River Seine, and we found that restaurants, cafes, and the best cocktails you have ever tasted surrounded us aplenty.

We even managed to walk to Notre Dame Cathedral (I can’t say exactly how long it took us because we were dawdling) and it only took us about fifteen minutes to reach the Pompidou Centre (one of my favourite places in Paris). A visit to the Eiffel Tower did require a cab ride, however it was no big deal, it was only about a ten minute drive.

So, in conclusion, what words would I use to sum up Hotel Crayon? I would say that it is: intimate, cosy, charming, quirky, enchanting, arty, friendly, clean, colourful and original.

Oh, and if you do go, be sure to try some of the complimentary macaroons and chocolates in the lobby – your taste buds will explode with deliciousness!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My 10-year-old daughter and I spent a w/e in Paris in February 2013 and had a great time. The hotel was perfect for us: intimate, friendly and cozy.

The staff were helpful and knowledgeable; the room was small but spotless and well designed. The beds were very comfortable, and the breakfast plentiful.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

I could not be happier with this hotel! The rooms are so quirky, cute and (mine was) spacious! The staff are super friendly and helpful! I have never experienced such personable and fantastic service before in a hotel! As I walked through the door for the first time i was greeted with a handshake and a warm welcome! a lovely lady helped me sort out some travel problems and an airport transfer. The location is amazing! a short walk to the lourve and only metres away from heaps of great french bars, restaurants and cafes! Perfect for couples, families and friends traveling in the heart of Paris. Hotel crayon is worth every cent. I will definitely be returning here next time i am in Paris, and I will definitely be recommending this place to everyone I know! C'etait parfait!

• Stayed February 2013
australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed in the Junior Suite (room 402) for 3 nights in January and enjoyed the atmosphere very much. The room was decorated in Missoni materials with personalized art on the walls (and wallpaper). The bathroom was huge with a free standing bath and separate shower and toilet. We cannot say how the double rooms were but imagine they were similar in decoration but half the size. Breakfast was available for a small cost but we chose to eat at one of the many local cafes. The location is near Les Halles and the Rue Montorgueil with the many restaurants, and only 7 minutes walk to the Louvre. Would stay there again. There were lifts.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Junior Suite which was very spacious. We were told by the owner that the doubles ar...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Haleyville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

If you are searching for a inexpensive but wonderful little hotel nestled in one of best central locations in Paris, look no further than Hotel Crayon. The hotel is what they refer to as a boutique hotel. There are only some thirty rooms and each is different. There are six floors and an elevator goes to all but the sixth. The rooms are small but newly redone and you really have all you need. There is a balcony to the street...which is quite. The bathrooms are wonderful with blue lit rain showers. There are soft fluffy down pillows and bedding. The employees speak English and could not be more helpful.
You are two or so blocks from the two Metro entrances, two or so blocks from the Louvre, the Seine, le Halles District which is famous for its copper cookware shops and all things culinary. Open air buses and other buses are always at the Lourvre. You really can get anywhere in the city with ease from Hotel Crayon.
The cost is very inexpensive for the location. My daughter and I felt perfectly safe at night walking in our neighborhood. Shop owners locals of the area could not have been nicer. I hope to have the opportunity to return to the Hotel Crayon one day and I highly recommend that you consider it.

Room Tip: Be sure you ask for one of the floors you can reach by the elevator.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. The reception area is bright and welcoming and staff friendly and very helpful. Our room was on the fourth floor (the lift is pretty snug for two people with even small bags, but not a huge problem.) Although we didn't have a view, the room was brightly and beautifully decorated, spotlessly clean and had a very comfortable bed.

The location is perfect for shopping or visits to the Louvre or Beauborg/Pompidiou Centre. There are plenty of cafes and restaurants nearby. There is no coffee or tea making facilities in the room, but a nespress machine, teas and alcoholic drinks are available in the lobby with an honesty box.

We hope to stay here again in future. Highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed for one night with my friend in January 2013.
Quite small but cosy and warm. You don't really need massive rooms, you're not supposed to stay at the hotel. You're in Paris!
It's located next to Louvre-Rivoli, at the very centre of the city and next to the Louvre Museum. No problem to arrive.

It is a boutique hotel, modern but following a classical line. Nice decoration, lively colours everywhere! The toilet in the lobby had crayons so one could write on the walls, which was quite fun to me.

The staff was very helpful and landed a notebook to my friend who was without her laptop. They also advised us and were very friendly. We had one of the rooms on the 5th floor, lovely ceilings. The room had two single beds, one small desk and a pretty wooded wardrobe. We had the impression that everything was new. Very comfortable beds, great shower!
The lobby is tiny and there is a help-yourself bar. My friend and I had a drink before going to our room which was cool, since it was freezing outside and we had the chance to share un verre anyway.
We didn't have breakfast since we preferred to grab something at the boulangeries.

It is a very good option while visiting Paris, probably the best is to go with your girlfriend/boyfriend rather than bringing the whole family.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Crayon by Elegancia? Share your experiences!