“Lovely quirky hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #102 of 1,796 Hotels in Paris
australia
“Lovely quirky hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed in the Junior Suite (room 402) for 3 nights in January and enjoyed the atmosphere very much. The room was decorated in Missoni materials with personalized art on the walls (and wallpaper). The bathroom was huge with a free standing bath and separate shower and toilet. We cannot say how the double rooms were but imagine they were similar in decoration but half the size. Breakfast was available for a small cost but we chose to eat at one of the many local cafes. The location is near Les Halles and the Rue Montorgueil with the many restaurants, and only 7 minutes walk to the Louvre. Would stay there again. There were lifts.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Junior Suite which was very spacious. We were told by the owner that the doubles ar...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Korean first
Haleyville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

If you are searching for a inexpensive but wonderful little hotel nestled in one of best central locations in Paris, look no further than Hotel Crayon. The hotel is what they refer to as a boutique hotel. There are only some thirty rooms and each is different. There are six floors and an elevator goes to all but the sixth. The rooms are small but newly redone and you really have all you need. There is a balcony to the street...which is quite. The bathrooms are wonderful with blue lit rain showers. There are soft fluffy down pillows and bedding. The employees speak English and could not be more helpful.
You are two or so blocks from the two Metro entrances, two or so blocks from the Louvre, the Seine, le Halles District which is famous for its copper cookware shops and all things culinary. Open air buses and other buses are always at the Lourvre. You really can get anywhere in the city with ease from Hotel Crayon.
The cost is very inexpensive for the location. My daughter and I felt perfectly safe at night walking in our neighborhood. Shop owners locals of the area could not have been nicer. I hope to have the opportunity to return to the Hotel Crayon one day and I highly recommend that you consider it.

Room Tip: Be sure you ask for one of the floors you can reach by the elevator.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. The reception area is bright and welcoming and staff friendly and very helpful. Our room was on the fourth floor (the lift is pretty snug for two people with even small bags, but not a huge problem.) Although we didn't have a view, the room was brightly and beautifully decorated, spotlessly clean and had a very comfortable bed.

The location is perfect for shopping or visits to the Louvre or Beauborg/Pompidiou Centre. There are plenty of cafes and restaurants nearby. There is no coffee or tea making facilities in the room, but a nespress machine, teas and alcoholic drinks are available in the lobby with an honesty box.

We hope to stay here again in future. Highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed for one night with my friend in January 2013.
Quite small but cosy and warm. You don't really need massive rooms, you're not supposed to stay at the hotel. You're in Paris!
It's located next to Louvre-Rivoli, at the very centre of the city and next to the Louvre Museum. No problem to arrive.

It is a boutique hotel, modern but following a classical line. Nice decoration, lively colours everywhere! The toilet in the lobby had crayons so one could write on the walls, which was quite fun to me.

The staff was very helpful and landed a notebook to my friend who was without her laptop. They also advised us and were very friendly. We had one of the rooms on the 5th floor, lovely ceilings. The room had two single beds, one small desk and a pretty wooded wardrobe. We had the impression that everything was new. Very comfortable beds, great shower!
The lobby is tiny and there is a help-yourself bar. My friend and I had a drink before going to our room which was cool, since it was freezing outside and we had the chance to share un verre anyway.
We didn't have breakfast since we preferred to grab something at the boulangeries.

It is a very good option while visiting Paris, probably the best is to go with your girlfriend/boyfriend rather than bringing the whole family.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel as part of a Eurostar short break. This was my first trip to Paris so I have no other hotels to compare with, but myself and my daughter loved it. We got off the metro at les halles as it looked the most direct route, but there is extensive building work taking place and in amongst all the hoardings we lost our bearings and went the wrong way. When we got back on track it was only about a 5 minute walk but so was the station at the louvre. The hotel was in a quiet area one street back from a main road. We arrived earlier than check in time but leaving our cases at reception was no problem. The staff on reception were always polite and helpful. The hotel as others have said is unique, hand drawn murals on the walls and room numbers woven into the carpet. We had booked a superior twin so think our room had a little more room as the lift was to the side of our room - this did not cause any noise problems. The room was tastefully furnished in pinks and greens, the beds were comfy and the bathroom modern and clean. The hotel was compact but not to the degree that it caused a problem, it was cosy! We both agreed that we would return to this hotel and would be happy to recommend to our friends.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
DirectionCrayon, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Crayon by Elegancia, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments. We are passionnate to make you happy! We hope to see you soon for your next trip to Paris.
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I booked the Hotel Crayon in Paris for 3 nights with a Eurostar package deal after checking the reviews on Tripadvisor and I was absolutely delighted with the hotel and the service. It doesn't look like a hotel at all with its colourful lobby, it is impossible not to feel happy when you walk in. The room we had was wonderfully decorated, blue and red, spotlessly clean and with the most comfortable bed and the shower was brilliant. Didn't find it small, just the normal size for a big city. And it was very quiet too, wonderful nights sleep. Breakfast was delicious and all the staff were friendly and helpful and gave the hotel a very welcoming feel. The location is great, just a short walk to the Lourve, convenient to the metro and surrounded by resturants (the Italian place across the street Valentinos great pasta and pizza and for something very French and special try Les Fines Gueules nearby). I have now found my paris hotel and will definitely return!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I booked this hotel based on the glowing reviews on Hotels.com and TripAdvisor. However, I was disappointed.

Pros: The service, consistent with the reviews, was great. Everyone was very nice and pleasant, which goes a long way anywhere. English was fluent, which was great. Free internet for any number of different devices. Awesome!! The hotel decor is unique and kitchy. I liked it.

Cons: My room, which was supposed to be an upgraded room, was tiny! I've traveled extensively in Europe both as a student and in my professional life. This was tiny even by European standards and the smallest room I have ever stayed in (even as a student traveler!). I was staying in Paris for a week, and there was barely enough room to hold my week's worth of clothes in the tiny wardrobe, and I packed light. Also, if my bag didn't collapse and slide under the bed, I would have been tripping on it or walking around/over it to get from the bed to the bathroom. Bathroom was also tiny. Barely enough counter space to hold my toiletries (I couldn't store them in the main part of the room because I had clothes on most horizontal surfaces). This was my first Paris hotel without a bathtub. That's fine, but I was just surprised. The shower was OK, but the hottest the water ever got was only just warm enough not to give you a chill, and in the cold, wet weather I experienced during my trip, there were times you needed a hot shower to get warmed up. The HVAC was lacking in the V-ventilation. I could smell cigarette smoke from neighbors (not hotel neighbors), especially at night. In the mornings, speaking of smells, the odor of fresh/old sewage filled the bathroom coming from the shower drain. I read that in one of the reviews, so I figured that's just the way it was with the room I ended up with. The heater was adequate to make it warm, but even when I would turn it off at night, I would wake up sweating because the room was just stagnant. Something is up with the ventilation of room 601. Speaking of the 6th floor, as noted in other reviews, the lift stops at the 5th floor with an extremely narrow, steep spiral staircase going up to the 6th floor. When the woman told me my room was on the 6th floor, I was disappointed. Managing my big bag up the winding staircase was a challenge, especially when I left.

The location of the hotel was OK. It's close enough to Rivoli and to several Metro stops. I normally stay on Rivoli across from the Tuileries and feel now that I prefer that location as more central to the areas I visit more often.

If you only have a quick stop-over in Paris and you don't mind a tiny room, you might like it - if you don't get a room on the 6th floor, that is.

Room Tip: Don't accept a room on the 6th floor - especially refuse the morning sewage smelling room 601.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Sir,
We thank you for the motivating positive comments. Having personally greeted you upon check in I am very surprised by your harsh critiques that you omitted to tell us during throughout your weeklong stay! We always strive to make everyone happy, and of course if possible, we can always try and change rooms as each one has its different charm. For central paris our 14-16m2 double rooms are very typical sizes. We also have the 35m2 Junior Suite Exquise Esquisse for a fellow Texan as me whom would love to have, knowing that specially in Texas, bigger is better. For those in the 6th floor we systematically propose to help with the luggage upon arrival AND departure. Concerning the water we have a constant 60°C 140°F which is the maximum legal temperature allowed (knowing that extremely hot starts at 50°C-122°F) coming from two 2000L water heaters.... Maybe you had troubles finding the temp. knob just under the pressure knob? The 6th floor rooms have a certain charm with views of the rooftops and a rooftop cieling. It depends on personal tastes, as other clients ask for these rooms imperitively for their calm and view. For the location, we are just 300 meters from the louvre museum and just across the bridge from Notre Dame which is considered the "center" of Paris... We hope that next time we can have the opportunity to discuss your personal requirements and better respond to your expectations, and have you come and leave with a smile. Kind regards,

Been to Hotel Crayon by Elegancia? Share your experiences!