“Budget hotel fabulous location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Esmeralda

and 1 more site!
You added Hotel Esmeralda to your Saves list
Hotel Esmeralda
4 rue St-Julien-le-Pauvre, 75005 Paris, France (Ile de la Cite / Ile Saint-Louis)   |
Ranked #906 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Budget hotel fabulous location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

March 22-30,2013 The room was quiet except for Saturday night. Ear plugs would help. Train B from the airport is cheap but is helpful if you have euros to avoid lines to buy tickets. Get off at St. Michel (had to carry bags up 3 flights of metro stairs) and start walking along the river toward Notre Dame until you get to small park. Turn right and look for hotel sign. Reception were very helpful and take bags upstairs. Wi-Fi in lobby. They take credit cards.
I brought 3 credit cards, one with a chip and 2 others. Don't bring American Express cards--Visa or MasterCard. I borrowed their hair dryer.
Location can't be beat.Walk to Louve, Sorbonne, ST. Michel shopping, and St. Germaine. Everything is close including metro. Markets for water and pastries as well as tons of good restaurants. Hotel does not have a restaurant.There is a restaurant very close on along the river that has croissant or baguette with coffee, tea or very good hot chocolate, orange juice for 7 euros.
I would definitely stay here again, but if a little noise and the stairs bother you, it's not for you. You must turn on the lights before going up the stairs and going into the hallways. I always bring a small flashlight when I travel.
I traveled with my 13 year old granddaughter. The end of March was definitely cold in Paris.

Room Tip: Room with 2 beds on 2nd (our 3rd) floor with view of park and Notre Dame was much bigger than I exp...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Bjelovar, Croatia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has a perfect location. The room we stayed in was pretty small. Everything is very clean so the size is not that important. The staff was very friendly. We had to pay by cash when we checked out.

If you are on a budget this is a perfect hotel for you.

• Stayed April 2013
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I read many reviews of hotels in Paris and we wanted to stay in the Latin Quarter because of Notre Dame and the many bars and restaurants. We couldn't have found a better hotel, right above Shakespeare and Co bookshop too and opposite Saint Julien Church with it's 600 year old tree (meant to bring luck!) We woke to the bells of Notre Dame each morning and saw the sunrise behind this magnificent building over our Easter Weekend stay! :) On entering the hotel there is a lovely old feel, the black winding staircase, chunky rope and bold print wallpaper grab your attention. There is a smell about the hotel, maybe brasso? but it is not too overwhelming. The men on the desk are friendly and keep the keys to your room when you go out for the day, they are always there to give you them back on your return (we were told 1am was the latest without special arrangement) and you pay for your stay when you leave, not sure if they take cards as we paid cash on departure. We booked 6 months in advance and confirmed our stay via email a month before our arrival. The hotel is literally 2 minutes walk from Saint Michel Notre Dame RER on the B line from CDG Airport, so convenient, you can also travel directly to The Eiffel Tower from here but on the RER C line (15 mins max journey) or you could walk along the Seine as we did :) Once in your room there is a quirky charm about the wonky walls (we stayed in room 3) it's a little like entering Alice in Wonderland through the narrow corridors and uneven floors. The doors of neighbouring rooms are close to each other too but we were never disturbed by noise from other guests. The huge, imposing windows occupied the whole room and made for a stunning frame to what has easily been the best view we have ever had from a hotel room in Europe! There are no facilties, just a small french dresser and basic bathroom with shower and bath. The room was clean and made daily by housekeeping. The small heaters also warm the place to a lovely temperature, however, do not expect pristine perfection, this hotel has been around far too long for that, in fact floral print paper covered the walls, ceilings and doors, the red carpet and chair covers were marked and the bathroom tiling wasn't neat but we loved it! We stayed at the Hotel Adlon over Christmas (5 star modern, pristine German hotel at the Brandenburg Gate) and yet this quaint, little Parisian hotel, complete with it's imperfections is the one that has compelled me to write a review, not the other one! I could clearly go on forever but it is a small, quirky, gem of a place, reasonably priced too for the location and we will defintiely stay here whenever we visit Paris, no other hotel could beat the charm, views and convenience that the Hotel Esmeralda has and it definitely scores 5 stars for each! Thank you x

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cornwall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I love this hotel. It is though just a bedroom type of hotel with no food. Still in the location it is in eating out is obligatory (as one would hope that is one of the reasons you came), Narrow Garret stairs take you up to the rooms which are plain but full of Character. The front Bedrooms overlook St Julien le Pauve Church and Notre Damme. The rear bedrooms open onto a courtyard well that is quite apart from the fact you can here everything going on in the fellow rooms with windows opening into it. One good thing about that though is Shakespear and company's back room with the piano in it opens onto it too. Sometimes you get a real treat as good piano players tickle the ivories... It can Seriously add experience to your eveningl

Room Tip: Ask for one at the front if you want to see Notre Damme, If you want the Genuine feel 'les miser...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I almost do not want to review it, crowds stay away!!!!
I love this little charming, outdated hotel. You will find cozy small cute rooms that were styled in the old way, old Paris, Ludwik XIV kind of style. Now its all old but soooo charming.
You will need to climb steep steps to get to your room. You will probably see and hear Notre Dame from your window as the hotel is placed very close by, just round the corner from the Shakespeare bookshop. The prices are still quite good and that is what makes it a great place to stay. Location is amazing. I am bad with maps but since this is so close to Notre Dame, i just head to this direction and always find my way home:) Have to pay in cash for your room.
I recommend it, as I always try to stay there when visiting Paris, if they have free rooms.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Brighton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I didn"t expect the Ritz. I wanted a more old fashioned experience. Wanted something affordable but not a charmless motel. I wanted characters. I wanted the noise of street life wafting into my bedroom at night. I wanted a short walk to the Shakespeare bookshop. I would have liked an old fashioned lift but after so much walking around Paris, what"s a few flights of stairs?? I wanted to feel part of Paris and her history. I wanted to be in walking distance of the Sienne, bustling cafes and the "other bank".
When I stayed at the Hotel Esmeralda I got everything I wanted & more!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights in April. The rooms are very basic and the stairs are very steep - but all that adds to the atmosphere of this hotel. Just make sure you pack everything you need for the day and then you should only have to climb the stairs once each day.
I can understand that it's not the place for everyone. However, I'm a woman in my 40s and I loved it! The location couldn't be better. It was so beautiful to look out the window and see Notre Dame. Being so close, it's easy to get over there early before the crowds arrive.
There are some great cafes and bistros in the surrounding area and most have wifi. Le Petit Chatelet, around the corner, is lovely for dinner.
Shakespeare & Co book store is also right around the corner and you can easily lose yourself in there for an hour or two.

• Stayed April 2012

Been to Hotel Esmeralda? Share your experiences!