“A must go in a very parisian district” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Chardenoux

Le Chardenoux
1 rue Jules Valles, 75011 Paris, France (Bercy / Nation)
01 43 71 49 52
Good for: Local cuisine, Doing business, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Bercy / Nation
paris
“A must go in a very parisian district”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

Out of tourists path, in the very parisian 11th arrondissement chef Cyril Lignac's restaurant brought us and unforgettable experience. The Chardenoux is probably one the nicest restaurants in Paris, and to get a gastronomic experience at bargain prices really surprised me. The 25 euros lunch menu shows Lignac creativity and fine exceuction. We had a renewed salad with chicken gizzards, a mervelous grilled guinea-fowl with old style tomato salad . One of my friends tried a fresh cod with carrots puré. Last but not least: real classic strawberries melba. All that served with style usual in a de luxe restaurant. Even the starter rillettes were exceptionnal. We arrived very late for lunch (about 2.15), but we have been very welcomed, and nobody told us to leave after 3.30. Fine experience. Chardenoux honors French cooking.

• Visited August 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Dendermonde, Belgium
“average meals”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

nice interior ,typically Paris interior ... the food was ok but pricy .. the neighbourhood is not very nice ,there is not much space between the tables ... we had a hotel in the neighbourhood ,therefore we went there ,otherwise we certainly choose another restaurant ...

• Visited August 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Milton Keynes
“No time to relax!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

My wife and I went to this restaurant to celebrate her birthday whilst on a 3 day break in Paris.
We wanted a high quality restaurant within a 10 minute walk of our hotel and chose La Chardenaux after researching the internet which I tend to do.
I asked the Manager of our hotel to book the reataurant on my behalf as it was a birthday surprise, of a fashion.
We arrived on time and were greeted in a pleasant, professional manner and were were seated at at a small table for two, near the entrance to the kitchen.
We were asked if we would like a drink, Champagne perhaps? Very nice of them I thought, must be for my wifes birthday.
Our waiter brought us menus and a wine list in French, most of which we understood, however when my wife enquired about a couple of the items on the Entrees, the waiter said rather codescendingly, (in my opinion), ''Shall I get you English Menus as that will be easier'', I consider our' Restaurant French' to be pretty good!. Never mind we place our order and everything sounds very inviting.
My starter of Foie Gras Ravioli is beautiful and very tasty. My wife ordered crab in a 'delicate' mustard sauce , crushed new potatoes and a few rocket leaves which looked great. Unfortunately the mustard is completely overwhelming to the extent the crab was totally lost.
We decided to share a main course, Rib of Beef (63 Euros) cooked medium arrived, duly carved, on a board, at the table, I quite liked this but it was accompanied by potatoes and fries and nothing else.
We opted for a bottle of Bordeux to wash this down, which was pleasant and a Crepe Suzette for dessert between us. As regards the dessert we had finsihed working our way through the beef by about 9.35pm and needed a break, which we duly requested, but non, we had to be out by 10pm as there was another service and our table was required!
I have been to many restaurants in France and I do not recall ever being in a position of being asked to vacate my table (especially when I was spending the thick end of 200 Euros for what was to be honest nothing exceptional food wise) but maybe this is the custom in Paris as it appeared everyone else also did so.
All in all, would I return? Non! Oh and the two glasses of Champagne 22 Euros- Happy Birthday!!

• Visited February 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Great address for a traditional lunch in a true Parisian Brasserie - forget other reviews”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

Coming back to my childhood roots in the 11th district in Paris, I wasn't aware of this restaurant which is one of those old Parisian Brasserie that is protected under Historic Sites. I was invited by a friend of mine to discover this typical Brasserie and experience what Cyril Lignac cooking is about. For those of you who don't know Cyril Lignac, he has been one of the most promising celebrity TV chef who has started TV with "Oui Chef". He's now one of the chef who feature in Masterchef, an upcoming cooking programme of the private channel TF1 who has some promising rating for its first edition.

Back to our experience at Chardenoux. We were warmly welcome for lunch and was seaten down by the window. It was the week of the Beaujolais Nouveau so the restaurant manager offered a glass of this wine.

For starter I had a delicious Pate en croute with Foie Gras. I couldn't finish the whole thing to make sure I had enough room for the main course. Let's not forget that we had before the starters 2 appetizers: rillette de porc and consomme of chestnuts (absolutely delicious). The Pate was bringing me back to what my grand mother is preparing every Xmas when I was coming down to the Gers region.

For main course, I had a lighter course with was a brochette of scallops with mashed sweet potatoes. Scallops were cooked to perfection with some nice flavour and the surprise was the mash. Never had that before. Not too sweet and not too rich. Just right.

Finally, I had a Paris Brest which was so yummy and clearly was all house made.

I thought the service was very efficient and warm even though we only had 1 hour to have a 3 courses lunch. This address is highly recommended for lunch or for dinners with a moderate budget of 50€ per person (depends how crazy you would like to go for wines).

Thank Chardenoux for this great moment!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Good Bistrot, but check your bill”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

Ended up here after our first choice, the nearby Bistrot Paul Bert, was closed for summer holidays. This looked nice, with an appealing terrace.

They do a EUR 25 3-course lunch menu, but not on weekends. So we decided to share the cote de boeuf, which was beautifully cooked, huge and tasty. For dessert we shared the caramel eclair which, although very tasty seemed excessively priced at EUR 9 for an eclair, with nothing on the side.

When the bill came, we had a shock: we were charged EUR 60 per person for the steak!! Did we read wrong? Could steak even cost that much? Perhaps Kobe beef in London might cost this much, but surely not here! After complaining with the maitre d', he rectified the bill, but without offering any apologies. Also, when I ordered a red by the glass, the waiter told me they'd run out of my choice, only to recommend an alternative at twice the price. I hate when waiters do that, which left a bad taste in my mouth!

In short: good enough bistro, but not worth the a la carte prices. Come here for lunch only, but go somewhere more memorable for dinner.

• 4 of 5 stars Food