“A great stay!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Montmartrois

You added Hotel Montmartrois to your Saves list
Hotel Montmartrois
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 bis, rue du Chevalier-de-la-Barre | 18th Arr., 75018 Paris, France (Montmartre)   |
Ranked #1,720 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
Leeds, UK
“A great stay!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

At first after reading all the reviews I was extremely apprehensive, as you can imagine, but was completely shocked with the hotel when I arrived. The supposedly steep cobbled street leading to the hotel was only about 30m, so would only be a difficulty if you had an extremely terrible fitness level!

There was no sign of dog excrement or immigrants and I would say that the entrance to the hotel was pleasant. I stayed in a room for 4 and there was plenty of space. The room was clean, as was the bathroom, which contained a lovely shower and new toilet. As for the subject of bed bugs, which had terrifed me and my friends for weeks, there was no sign of them whatsoever, so the bugspray we had taken along remained in our suitcases. Moreover, the breakfast did only consist of one bread roll and one croissant, however both were very nice and you were provided with a selection of butter and conserves, as well as the choice of tea, coffee or hot chocolate. The staff were extremely friendly and our rooms were made everyday.

I'm not saying that this hotel is a luxury, but it is just what you need for a pleasant stay in the beautiful city. Situated around 5 mins walk from the nearest metro stop (Chateaux Rouge) and a few minutes walk from the beautiful Sacre Coeur (which we could see from our window) this is the ideal place to stay and I would definitely visit again.

Please do not be put off by the bad reviews, as they do not match up to the experience that I have just had, having returned today. Hope you enjoy your stay as much as me and my friends did!!!

• Liked — The breakfast, room and location
  • Disliked — 2 euros for small bottle of water out of the vending machine (didn't upset me too much though)
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
LIthuania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2008

I just got back from Paris, where I had a possibility to stay in this hotel. The first thing that impressed me was the entrance to this hotel, which is located in the dark corner and which is impossible to notice from the street. And later because of that dark corner I had a chance to feel, what is like to come back to the hotel late in the evening. Near that hotel quite often are walking and gathering strange people, mostly the immigrants from Africa and other countries and they doesn’t look very friendly. And few times I had to wait while those people will go away from the entrance, because I was really scared. During all my staying in that hotel, the street near hotel was full of trash and dog’s excrements, pile of clothes and even with a syringe between them. I think that a hotel staff should clean the street near the hotel, but maybe I’m wrong :))
The room wasn’t perfect. Somebody may say that how much you pay, the type of accommodation you get. But I think that 2 stars hotel, Montmartrois should make a push, because I had a chance to live in other 2 stars hotel, so between and Momtmartrois are huge differences. All I need in the room when I travel is the bed and bath and the most important ting for me is cleanness. My room in Montmartrois had a strange smell, which disappeared only after leaving the window opened through the night. But I wasn’t able to make that smell vanish from the wardrobe, so I didn’t risk leaving my clothes and other things in it. The carpet in the room didn’t seem very clean too. The bath was quite ok, but the window in the bath didn’t worked normally and it was impossible to close it and it’s not very pleasant when after taking a bath you feel the wind the bathroom.
I had TV in this room. It was samsung LCD Flat Panel TV. But that's it. Because there was no remote control in the room. So i had to change chanels standing on the corner of my bed :) Because i wasn't going to pay money for the remote control (because, man, that was working in the hotel's reception, explaned that people that want to use remote control has to pay). But i came to Paris not to watch TV so it wasn't a big problem for me.
The staff was cleaning room everyday, but the only tinng that I’ve noticed that they done in my room were making of the bed and putting my cosmetics according to the height of the tare.
The good thing of this hotel is that hotel is not far from Sacre Cour, so you can walk to it. The next goof ting is that metro station is not far from this hotel. But if you have a possibility to choose to live in this hotel or not, don’t choose Montmartrois, because there are better hotels at least with the entrance that is not in the dark corner and that is easy to notice from the street.

• Liked — That hotel was not far from Sacre Cour
  • Disliked — Dark entrance to the hote;
  • Stayed August 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Amsterdam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2008

I must admit that finding the hotel was a bit of a pain.
Rue de chevalier de Barre is appearently a sort of a backally going up a steep slope, that splits in two, the one to the right is the proper street to go into. Taxi`s have a hard time finding it because there are no cars allowed in this street.
I must say I was looking for the hotelsign that was in the pictures when I booked the place, however it took some time to find it.
It was hidden between de overgrown trees in this dark little alley.
It was a clean alley none the less, no dog poo or trash of the sort.
Upon entering one cannot but notice that the hotel is in an alarming state of disrepair, just about anything there is broken or or about to, however they were appearently working on it. Because the second day of my stay they decided, how marvellous, to give my room a lick of paint. It was quite a sensation to find out the lengths they went to make me feel welcome in the hotel. Of course I had to take the terpentine fumes as a mildly unpleasant bonus, but really, the smell wore off after a day or so.
It`s guest were, to my delight, a tourbus full of slightly rowdy Russians. Appearantly their rooms had no lavatory so they had to use the bathroom in the hallway which they would occupy very loudly and frequently deep in the night.
My room had a beautiful Flatscreen TV but not a remote to be found, oh well I am not that fond of French television anyhow.
No instructions to be found anywere, for example I had to ask the frontdesk how to use the phone dangling off my wall.
At night there is a really nice congregation of the neighbourhoods multiethnic inhabitants hanging outside the hotel drinking beer, smoking and being generally merry and somewhat loud. But nothing an angry outcry and chucking a cup of water, could not cure.
So after all these comments:
Why do I not give this hotel a well deserved Terrible rating?
Because, some things were nice about the place, I expected a bad place and it turned out not so bad. It was generally clean.
The staff was nice. I liked the breakfast, it costs 5 euros and you get a generous authentic french breakfast (croissant, bread, butter and jelly) with a big cup of coffee (and refills) and plastic cup of jus d' orange.
The location is a short climb to the beautiful Sacre Coeur and some nice restaurants.
And lets face it, I never had the intention of going to a great city like Paris, just to sit in the hotel all day... I needed a fairly priced place to sleep and explore the beautiful city of Paris. And in the Montmartrois I found exactly that.

• Liked — location close to Sacre Coeur
  • Disliked — It`s bad state of repair
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Wiltshire, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2008

Someone has written of this hotel, "I would never, never, never recommend it, not even to my enemies." I couldn't agree more.

I say this, although I must admit I never stayed there. I booked 3 nights, but when I arrived, I was told the toilets were blocked, and I was going to be put in the other hotel. The other hotel is very nearby, but is probably the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. Amongst other things, the bed was dirty, the light in the room was broken and the toilet wouldn't flush. It also advertised a rate that was €25 per night cheaper than Hotel Montmartois.

The next morning I went to Hotel Montmartois to complain that I was getting something that was €25 cheaper than what I'd paid for. I was told that the difference was because of the travel agent's fee. When I asked for an explanation, the manager became very angry and agressive. He came round his desk shouting and gesticulating, and stared at me from 2 inches in front of my face. Then he shouted at me, "Get out, get out!". He obviously thought he could intimidate me rather than answering my complaint.

When I said that I had paid for a his hotel, which was of a better standard than the place he had sent me, he said "it is the same standard." I said that if that was the case, his hotel must be very poor. He said, "Yes. It is a low standard." I didn't ask why he was charging €25 more than the next-door place, if the standard was the same.

In the end, I didn't get any money back. I wholeheartedly regret booking this hotel. I ignored the bad reviews. You should not make the same mistake.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2008

Standard is weak but for teenagers on a school trip it was ok.
The shower was loose and small, beds were ok. breakfast was poor. service was friendly and ok location was very good.
wouldnt reccomend for anything other than a school trip.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — room quality
  • Stayed January 2008
Constanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2007

It was a great hotel. i would stay there every time I go to Paris. The room was perfect for me. If you go to Paris it's obvious you don't go there to stay in your room so all you need is a bed and a bathroom. It was perfect.

Stayed August 2004
Sofia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2007

We arrived at about 9 p.m. on 27 August and we were given our keys quite quickly. Our room was big enough, but it was dirty and smelling. After a late romantic walk to Sacre Cuer Chirch, which was nearby, we went to bed. In the morning my friend and I both complaned to each other of having a biting feeling through the night. In the next evening, after a long walk through Paris, we decided to check our beds toroughly first. We found in both beds some black buggs! We killed them and tried to sleep. In the morning, after a sleepless night and after founding some more buggs in our beds, we alarmed the receptionist. At first he insisted that the buggs must had flied in through the windows, but because we insisted on the buggs beeing in our matresses and blankets, he promissed to change our beds /the whole of them/. In the second evening we did found new beds and matresses in our room. But, when I prepared to go for a shower, I couldn't find one of my bathing shoes! The maid had probably took it with the sheets without noticing.
The staff seemed bored and unfriendly, the breakfast was very poor.
Don't stay at this hotel if you want to spend a pleasant vacation in Paris!

• Liked — It was near 2 metro stations and some sightseeing spots
  • Disliked — Cleanliness and service
  • Stayed August 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Montmartrois? Share your experiences!