“Service from Hell” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Meslay Republique

You added Hotel Meslay Republique to your Saves list
Hotel Meslay Republique
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3, rue Meslay, 75003 Paris, France (Notre Dame / Marais)   |
Ranked #795 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Singapore, Singapore
“Service from Hell”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

First, the positives. The hotel is very conveniently located across the street from the République métro station, which makes it an absolute breeze to get to all the tourist sites. For a quick and tasty breakfast, there are also plenty of affordable cafés and pâtisseries in the neighbourhood. Our room was showing signs of age and quite small - but this is typical of structures in le Marais - though, as we had one facing the street with windows that open wide, extremely well-ventilated. The make-up room service was also thorough, while the free WIFI worked well for the duration of our 5-night stay (though a little spotty in the mornings!). Now, the awful... the service. On my first night, I enquired about an extra towel for each night of my stay for health reasons - offering to pay for the trouble - and was assured by the kindly manager that they will be provided free-of-charge as long as the hotel isn't full. Perfectly understandable and politely explained, which I completely accept. I would have purchased the extra towels at a Monoprix in any case, if they couldn't accommodate. However, on subsequent nights, I had to deal with ill-mannered clerks who literally threw the towels at me grudgingly. On my third-to-last night, I was fiercely reprimanded by an extremely rude male clerk that I am NOT to ask for more towels under any circumstances. Let's put it in perspective, it is A TOWEL. Towels, from what I understand, are not some precious Parisian commodity. In fact, they are generously offered when requested in all other hotels I have resided in. After this incident, the petty clerks basically started ignoring our "bonjours et bonsoirs" when we tried to deposit our room keys. We had to leave them exposed on the front desk - a definite safety concern - as they ignored us to surf the internet (yes, cranky woman, I am looking at you too). To the both of you, I sincerely hope the management looks into your vulgar attitudes and deplorable work ethics. I will not be back at this hotel, nor will I recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed December 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Greek first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Great experience with this hotel and would definitely recommend.

Location: very convenient! It is steps from the Republique metro which has several lines that run through it. It is also only a 5 min walk from one of my favorite areas in Paris, Canal Saint Martin. Lots of good, Parisian-frequented restaurants, bars and patisseries around.

Staff: The staff is wonderful. Very accommodating and friendly. They also speak English.

Hotel: small, boutique hotel. Thankfully quiet, making it easy to sleep. Great, free Wifi (earlier comments regarding needing a 5 hour code are no longer relevant as they updated the system). Shower has excellent pressure and hot water. There is also a bath. It has been very cold outside and the heat in the room was excellent. Bed is acceptable. I could feel the springs a little through the mattress but nothing terrible. I slept fine.

Breakfast: rooms can include or not include breakfast. Breakfast includes tea/coffee, bread, some pastries, fruit, juice and the option of an egg cooked to order.

For the money, I think this hotel offers an excellent value for Paris.

Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My daughter and I stayed here on a recent trip to Paris. The room was nice, the beds were comfortable, the bathroom was big, and there was a nice balcony to go out on to check the weather. It was a short walk to the Republique Metro, which has a number of lines going through it. We were on the second floor in the front of the hotel, so we could hear some street noise, but we were in Paris! Breakfast was not included in the room rate, but my daughter is not a big breakfast eater, so it was to our advantage. There is a patisserie across the street with wonderful pastries and sandwiches, and plenty of restaurants within walking distance, including a McDonalds and a KFC! We had no problems at all with the wifi.The only negative thing I can think of is a lack of English-speaking TV channels. On more than one occasion we returned to the hotel late in the evening and had to be buzzed in by the front desk clerk, so the hotel is secure. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This hotel is in a great place to access anywhere you would like in Paris. You can take a walk along a few straight roads to come out by Notre Dame, Hotel De Ville, the Louvre etc. There is a metro station just around the corner of the hotel which provides even quicker access to the places previously mentioned.
We stayed on the first floor with a lovely big room and shower. No issues with the room at all. We could though on an evening just about hear the metro running under the hotel but there isn't a lot you could do about that. Staying on higher floors I guess would illuminate this. The breakfast provided was very good with a choice of cereal, croissants, yoghurt, bread, ham, orange juice, hot drinks and more on request.
Staff were all very helpful helping us to organise a taxi to the airport but failed to tell us about the city tax until the last day. Knowing sooner (on arrival!) would've been helpful!
Problems with the wifi that others have mentioned in reviews were non existent. We received the password on arrival and it worked until we left.

Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Being a yearly visitor to Paris I tend to look for good location at good prices in nice areas. Meslay Republique fits the bill.
The rooms, while not large, are more than enough for two people with 4 suitcases. Beds were comfortable and the street is very quiet. As the weather was fine there was no need for Air Co. Service was very good in all areas (front desk, cleaning staff and restaurant) and they more than once went out of their way to accomodate our needs.
It is 2 minute walk away from the major Republique metro station so no problem getting around.
Breakfast was good but I must say that with the abundance of bakeries in the vicinity, we often opted for getting our own outside.
If you are a smokers request rooms on 2 floor with small balcony and you will be set.
Thanks Mohammed and Mourad for making this a place I will definitely go back to

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

the rooms were very clean
The hotel is located 1 minute walking distance from Metro station Republique, which has many metro lines.
The area is safe with a variety of choices for bars and restaurants.
The staff was very kind and friendly

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Simi Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2014

We were very pleased to find this hotel. It is in a nice area right next to the Place de la Republique Metro stop and in a lovely area. The room was large and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom had a shower and a tub. The only drawback was that the internet code only lasted for 5 hours and then you would have to go down to the lobby and get another code. Very inconvenient. But we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Meslay Republique? Share your experiences!