“Great Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #112 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Fontana
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2007

First, let me say the hotel staff was great! Helpful and speaks english. Upon arrival to the hotel, the shuttle service that the hotel uses dropped me and my guest off a half a mile from the hotel due to a demostration. Two women with LOTS of luggage and not knowing where they are going was put out of the shuttle van and charged full fare. after a twenty minute walk to the hotel, I had explained to the front desk clerk what had happend. She quickly offered her apology and gave us breakfast each day of our stay. We get to the room and there was only one bed. We had requested two beds, so I thought. My mistake and again the front desk clerk corrected the situation.

The hotel is located 1 block from Napolean tomb and the L'Opera tour bus, two blocks from the market and cafe's, shops and metro stop. Safe area at night and quiet.

The rooms are very clean with a mini bar in the room that you can use to store food. They will not charge you for the use of the fridge.

DO NOT USE YELLOW SHUTTLE SERVICE! Awful customer service. Pay the cost and take a taxi.

EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE AT DUQUESNE HOTEL.

I will be back to this Hotel

• Liked — Cleaniness
  • Disliked — need some ventilations in the hall ways
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
duquesneParis, Sales manager at Hotel Duquesne Eiffel, responded to this review, October 29, 2007
Hello!

I remember when yo arrived because I checked you in and you were so tired with all your luggage!
I apologize again for what happened with the shuttle service, normally they are nice and they don't let peopke off far away from the hotel. There was a demonstration that day and I guess the driver could not access the hotel as usual.
Anyway, the best I could do was to offer you free breakfast.
Same for the bed, it is important that people specify if they want a double bed or twin beds.
Thank you for your kind note about our establishment, I hope to see you again here!

Julie Palisse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Fort Worth, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Duquesne Eiffel hotel over Valentine's day 2007 in Paris. The staff was friendly and warm (except that she laughed at me when she was making a dinner reservation for us and I asked her to ask for a table by the window so we could see the Eiffel Tower). The room is small (remember you're in Europe), but it was enough space for my husband and I to cuddle in on a cold rainy week in romantic Paris!
There are some good reveiws on here about what room to stay in to have an Eiffel Tower view. We tried to get the corner room on the top floor (floor 5), but it was booked, so we stayed in the room next door. The view was good - you had to step out on the balcony to enjoy it - you couldn't see it from the bed, but we didn't spend a lot of time in the room anyway, so it worked out great for us! I'm sure there are other hotels with bigger rooms and a better veiw, but for a romantic view on a budget - this is well worth it.

I wouldn't recommend taking the airport taxi bus that they advertise there - my husband and I (with both strong stomachs) were SO car sick. We waited and waited - they were about 45 minutes late, and then had to pick up other guests at other hotels, and waited SO long (waited in the hot stuffy bus for about another 45 minutes) and then by the time we got to the airport, we were so sick we couldn't even think about getting on a plane for 9 hours! I think it would have been much better to drag the luggage to the metro and do it that way - that's the way we got from the airport to the hotel, so it's not too bad.

You must eat at Cafe Panis! It's right across the bridge from Notre Dame and the decor is warm, and the staff is excellent! We loved it so much we went back a second time. The food is more reasonably priced and so very tasty.

I would definitely recommend Paris at this time of year. You won't see the trees blooming or lots of flowers everywhere, but there is still some pretty green grass and the emaculate architecture is the same no matter what the season!
Plus, like I said - the cold and drizzle allow you to snuggle up to your honey and it makes it all that more romantic!

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for your comment, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in Paris.
I'm sorry about the shuttle service, I know it is quite long but it is also unexpensive and it's easier when you have a lot of luggage.
I understand that you spent a romantic stay in Paris and I'm happy for you.

See you next time!

montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2007

We had a group of 11 staying at the Duquesne for three nights. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and while the rooms are small, hey... it's an old building and if we had wanted spacious, cheap hotel rooms we would have gone to Vegas.
Mostly the area was superb, really close to all services, restaurants, metro. We could see the Eiffel tower out the window of the room, easy strolling distance. A great buffet breakfast in the basement which had been saved from a "cave like" feeling by good lighting and recent upgrades. If you are going to Paris to see Paris, rather than vegetate in a hotel room, the Duquesne is a great choice and reasonably priced.

We also stayed one night at the HOtel Splendid, just down the block since we got in a day earlier than expected. The Duquesne staff were nice enough to get us the reservation. The Splendid is not really very splendid... smaller and more tired rooms, needs an update like the Duquesene.

Stayed October 2007
Hello!

I think I remember you and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay here.
I'm sorry about the Hotel Splendid, we didn't have any alternative.

We hope to see you again.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2007

My wife and I recently spent 6 nights in the Duquesne Eiffel Hotel. We knew that the rooms were small and a little "tired" from others reviews posted on this site, and this is definitely the case, however the Hotel is in a fabulous location close to Eiffel Tower, Invalides and there are a couple of Metro Stations within easy walking distance. There are also heaps of really good restaurants close by, including a great Thai place right next door.

The staff in both the reception area and breakfast room were pleasant and friendly. The ladies on reception were very helpful in terms of providing directions to laundromat, shops etc. and suggesting eating places in the area.

I can highly recommend the DE hotel to anyone wanting to stay in or near the 7th e, and will definitely be staying there again, when next we visit the '2nd most beautiful city in the world'. (remember we live in Sydney, Australia)

• Liked — The location and proximity to other sevices and sites.
  • Disliked — Size of room and they are in need of an upgrade
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hello,

We know that rooms are tired but not for a long time, we renovate teh hotel this winter so I hope we will see you after the renovation.
Thank you for good comments about the staff, we are here to make your stay enjoyable.

However, I disagreee with you about the 1st most beautiful city in the world, it's Paris of course...

See you and thanks again

Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2007

We stayed at the Duqesne Eiffel for 4 nights-August 30-Sept 3. The hotel is very cute, with a nice outdoor seating area where you can enjoy a drink at the end of a hard day of sighseeing. I am very surprised to hear that other guests found the staff rude--if anything, we found that they went out of their way to make our stay comfortable. One night, I asked the night manager for a couple plastic cups so my husband and I could enjoy a bottle of champagne. He shook his head and disappeared--only to return with champagne flutes and an ice bucket. That's service!
The rooms are small, but you're staying in Paris--a major city crammed with centuries-old buildings--there's not a lot of space. The Duquesne is within walking distance of the Tour Eiffel, which is why we chose to stay there. We took many nighttime walks to watch the tower glow and flicker. We'd stay there again.

• Stayed September 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you so much!

The service is maybe the most important part in a hotel, and I try to find good emplyees, and believe me it is not easy...
I hope to see you after the renovation.

DFW
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2007

My husband & I were in Paris the end of September for a week. We were really disappointed with the accomodations for what we paid. Our room was teeny tiny & the tv only worked occasionaly. (not that that is really important but its nice to be able to wind down at the end of the day) The hotel staff was anything but helpful. Everytime we asked them a question, we only got shoulder shrugs. We ran into a few other couples who had even bigger issues than what we experienced. Bottom line, I would NEVER stay there again.

Stayed September 2007
duquesneParis, Sales manager at Hotel Duquesne Eiffel, responded to this review, October 17, 2007
Dear Madam, dear Sir,

Bad comments are always a benefit for us and I'm glad I can answer you through trip advisor.
About the price of the room, I don't know how much you paid but to tell you the truth, we are not more expensive than other 3 star hotels in the area.
I agree that rooms need some renovation, that's why from december 1st, we are going to refurbish the entire hotel.
We had some trouble with TVs and we should change all the system, we will edo it soon and I apologize for the inconvenience.
I'm really surprised about the staff, when you read comments on trip advisor, most of them congratulate the kindness of Amandine and Estelle. If they acted I am really sorry, you should have asked to talk to the manager (myself), it is difficult for me to discuss it with them one month later.
I'm sorry you did not enjoy your stay in our hotel, I wish I could have talked to you because it is so rare to read such bad comments.
I apologize again.

Toronto, Ontario Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2007

Anything I say about this hotel does not do it justice! We went to paris for part of our European honeymoon and chose the Duquesne hotel based on the reviews from tripadvisor! We booked from September 4th to 9th! Since they knew it was our honeymoon they gave us the best room in the hotel! What a view! Full view of la tour Eiffel; Les Invalides and Sacre-Coeur! Honestly we were left speechless! I could honestly say it is everything I thought Paris would be and more! We did not stay for breakfast at the hotel, but we saw the restaurant in the lower level and it was so pretty! Like a wine cellar! We found the staff to be amazing! So helpful and always willing to offer their advice! Thank you to all the staff at Duquesne for making it a wonderful experience! We will see you again hopefully on our one year anniversary!

• Liked — View, Staff, Comfort and accessibility to major sites.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear Madma, dear Sir,

Thank you for your comments, september is a difficult month for us (full everyday) and I'm glad that the staff work well also during this time.
Many people ask for a view and you were lucky to get one but I guess you booked many months ago.
Thank you again and hope to see you in one year.

Julie Palisse

Been to Hotel Duquesne Eiffel? Share your experiences!