“Bad choice we made...” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #824 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Bad choice we made...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

Pathetic experience. Inconsistent service - one day soap is changed and you get 3 towels and next day 2... Why - whims of the people doing stuff. Water bottle given one day and not amother day. On asking once youget but another day they tell you that it was only for the first day.. Do not know what is true.

Tries talking to senior but they rwfuaed to take calls and only the front desk staff kept saying whatver they believed in. Breakfast was always a big mess - hotel just not able to manage.

Worse than a 2 star. It is book it and check in but you are immdly forgotten and no one is bothered. If you have a prepaid stay even worse..

Will never return.

• Stayed July 2014
L-Mauguit, Directeur général at Novotel Paris Tour Eiffel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Himontin,

Thank you for your feedback concerning your stay here.

It is with regret to read that you did not have a fruitful experience with us. Your point on the housekeeping service has been made known to my Head Housekeeper, to ensure that our service should be more consistent.

Like in most of the hotels in Europe, it is true about the bottle of water that you get on the day of your arrival. Do know that here is a snacking boutique "Instant Nomade" found on the 2nd floor lobby for tit-bits, sandwiches and water.

Your remarks will be transmitted to my other managers concerned to acquire all the necessary measures in order to prevent the reoccurrence of a similar situations.

I hope that this experience will not tarnish the image of all Novotels.

Yours faithfully,

Laurent Mauguit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This trip was for a family sightseeing holiday and we mainly booked beacause of the location and price. We only really had one negative issue and this was on checking in only two of our three rooms were ready, we were given a voucher for free drinks in the bar to compensate. We went back later only to be given the keys to an occupied room, this could have been very embarrasing , and also made me slightly uneasy when our own rooms were unoccupied!
The rooms were of a good standard and clean, the air- con was efficient, it was 30 degrees when we were there so we needed it! We had a small fridge which was useful and tea/ coffee making facilities. The buffet breakfast was also of a good standard and plentiful. A fifteen minute walk to the Eiffel Tower, forty five to the Arc de Triomphe , the nearest metro is ten minute walk, however this line was closed during our visit for renovation, there is a replacement bus service which we made use of. The location itself was fine , fairly quiet with a few cafes, bars in the vicinity, not the hotel for a young couple looking for good nightlife on the doorstep, however it was ideal for our needs.
The pool was another reason we booked this hotel as we had four children with us, it is a small pool and as stated in other reviews men must wear Speedo type trunks, swimming shorts are not permitted and swimming caps are compulsory ( they provided us with caps). It was adequate for the kids to cool off in / play for twenty minutes but not if you wanted to swim properly, also they only allow fifteen people in at a time.The majority of the staff were very pleasant and helpful, especially in the bar / at breakfast and when I had an issue with the safe in my room the technician was there within thirty minutes. We were happy that we did our homework before booking and found that the hotel matched our expectations. One word of warning, do not book taxis through the hotel as you will pay over the odds, for a taxi to Gare du Nord for 6 people and luggage we booked direct with G7 taxis ( found the details through Google and booked direct on the phone), it cost only 35 euros and the hotel quoted 80 euros, to be honest I think they just did not want the bother of ordering taxis.
Would also recommend Cafe Eiffel which is by the Bir Hakeim metro, good prices, good food and service with a smile. Beware the cafe on the opposite corner, food prices are about the same but the drink prices were not on the menu and a standard soft drink was 8 euros, also tables rammed very close together.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
L-Mauguit, Directeur général at Novotel Paris Tour Eiffel, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear SueB011,

I thank you for your feedback on your stay with us.

Firstly, I would like to apologise for the misunderstanding you had when you were checked into an occupied room. I have mentioned to my Front Office Manager to be more vigilant about such affaires.

Your comment on the efficiency and attitude of my staff is very well noted. This respond to the image that we want to give to our guests.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again very soon.

Thessaloniki, Greece
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

The hotel is close to the Eiffel tower, but that's all ! It is a 31 floor hotel, my room was on the 15th floor. The bathroom sink was clogged during the first 2 days. The room safe was not working. In the neighborhood you can find Starbucks, brasseries, super market and a metro station which was very convenient. I chose not to have breakfast in the hotel. The room view was very good (facing the river).

Dear kgoumas,

I thank you for your feedback on your stay with us.

I regret to learn that you did not have a comfortable stay with due to the shortcomings you had in the room. I do not know if you had called to inform us as we could have changed your room.
I apologise for this inconvenience.

In hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you soon, I remain,

Yours faithfully,

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Good location in a quiet neighborhood, within 5-8 mins of the 2 nearest Metro stations and 10-15 mins walk to the Eiffel Tower. Just note that there is not much nightlife around.

The room is spacious enough for one, with basic amenities- tv, a/c, hair dryer, etc. Perhaps it was fatigue from the sightseeing but i slept rather well. Plus I was lucky enough to have a room facing the Eiffel Tower, though only the top half!

Not sure if it's just me, but I never have any luck with hotel showers. The hot/cold settings never seem to stay constant!

Service during breakfast was rather lacking too. My table was cleared and given to someone else when I made a second trip to the buffet! And it's not like I was done, I had half a cup of coffee left and my knife was over the half-used piece of butter!

Speaking of breakfast - I booked directly on Accor's website for 10 nights, and just like all other reservation sites, i was proposed the usual upsell options - higher category room, breakfast, etc. And if you've done your research here on TripAdvisor (or any other guide books), you'll know that you can get a decent breakfast in Paris from any deli/cafe at a quarter of the price that hotels usually charge. Hence I did not select the breakfast option.

When I checked-in, they handed me the breakfast coupons together with my room keys with no explanation as to why they were given. I have to admit I'm at fault also not to have asked! I just presumed it was the Accor member free breakfast offer I noticed on the website! So imagine the shock when I checked out and was charged 14 euros per breakfast for 10 days! I could have stayed another night for all that breakfast, plus i don't believe it was even worth half that amount! Ultimately, the manager waived off the breakfast for the week and we compromised on me paying for 3 days worth.

Smooth check-in, bad check-out. Perhaps they could have explained/reminded all guests checking in that breakfast is an option and not just include it in.

Room Tip: You can ask for a river view or an Eiffel Tower view - which i got!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
L-Mauguit, Directeur général at Novotel Paris Tour Eiffel, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Achooo_sg,

Thank you for your comments on your stay with us. I am glad to learn that it was a comfortable stay for you inspite of the misunderstanding you had concerning the issue of the breakfast.

Your feedback on the service has been made known to my restaurant manager, to acquire the neccessary measures to prevent the reoccurrence of similar situations.

I would like to thank you for your fidelity, being our Accor LeClub member, and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming again in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

My partner booked this away as a surprise for me. As a birthday present, the hotel was amazing very posh. I would class it as the best hotel that I've see when walking along hotels near the Eiffel Tower. The hotel is very close the Eiffel Tower , the walk is about 15 mins away. We enjoyed it very much and be return sometime next year. Oh by the way, round the corner is a massive shopping mall with Michael kors, h&m etc. We only found it on the day we was leaving, closed Sundays.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Hopejade,

I thank you for your feedback on your surprise stay with us.

I am glad to read that you had an enjoyable stay and proud that you consider the hotel "Better than 4*". Merci beaucoup.

Your remarks will be made known to my staff, to inspire them to continue giving the high quality of service that the hotel prides itself in.

In waiting to have the pleasure of welcoming you in the very near future, I remain,

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Not a family hotel. More a business stop over. No swimming pool, unless you have speedo's. I thought that was a joke when I read another reviewer. Room was outdated and needed a good lick of paint. I wouldn't go back!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear E15st,

Thank you for your comments on your stay.

It is true that for the well-being of our guests and certainly for hygienic reasons, we request that our clients wear swimming trunks if they wish to get into the pool.

It is with regret that you did not appreciate the hotel but nevertheless, I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I have never written a review in my life.
I have stayed in manny places from 5* to nothing but this is with out a doubt the worst place I have stayed in.
The breakfast is unbelievable no service at all . They should be a shamed of them selfs,in my opinion it is more a YMCA then a hotel.
Not kid friendly as well.
Even if I got this for free would not stay here again.
The management of this hotel should be sacked and do another job.
And Novotel should go and have a look what is out there in other hotels and with a change in attitude and service in all areas they might improve

Room Tip: Do not book
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
L-Mauguit, Directeur général at Novotel Paris Tour Eiffel, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Alex M,

I would like to thank you for your comments on the hotel.

I regret to read that you did not have a pleasant stay here due to the quality of service. Believe me that whatever you had went through is not what we wish to give to our guests.

Your opinion has been noted and I feel sorry for your bad experience.

I hope that your impression will not tarnish the image of the other Novotels.

Laurent Mauguit

Been to Novotel Paris Tour Eiffel? Share your experiences!