“Best Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Bourdonnais

Save Saved
You added Hotel La Bourdonnais to your Saves list
Hotel La Bourdonnais
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111, avenue de la Bourdonnais, 75007 Paris, France (Eiffel Tower / Invalides / Palais-Bourbon)   |
Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #351 of 1,796 hotels in Paris
Boston, Massachusetts
“Best Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

This was our family's first visit to Paris and we wanted a central location to visit all of the sites: this was a perfect location! Close to the Eiffel Tower, restaurants, Metro stations, grocery stores...everything! Front desk personnel were very nice; very helpful, and did not mind speaking English with us (some family members could speak French). They recommended nice restaurants for dinner within walking distance. Very nice breakfast in the hotel every morning. Room was clean, large, with a separate sitting room; nice sized bathroom, also.

I would definitely recommended this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ParisSandro, Responsable relations clients at Hotel La Bourdonnais, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Cathy,
We would like to thank you for sharing your experiences on TripAdvisor.
Our hôtel is good situated near the Eiffel Tower, Musee Rodin, Invalides, and we are happy if it was convenient for you and your daughter.
Our Staff make great efforts to ensure that all our guests can enjoy a pleasant stay.
The whole team hopes to have the pleasure to welcome you back at the hotel.
Sandra.

723 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I just finished spending a week in Paris at this hotel. The staff at the front desk were very helpful and they spoke English. That was great since that is our first language. The room was clean and much larger than I expected for a European hotel. We were able to use the WiFi provided free for the guests. They had a nice breakfast. (cost 15 Euros per person) They did little things like mail my postcards for me. They called a taxi for us when we were leaving for airport on return flight. We were able to walk to many of the sights and enjoy the neighborhood. We could see the Eiffel tower from our room. It was only about 4 blocks from us. For a first time visit to Paris, it was ideal. I would recommend it and I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Brampton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This was my second stay at La Bourdannais and again, it is situated so well for someone who is only there for a short time and interested in seeing all the sites. You could easily see the Eiffel Tower out of the bedroom; it is only a 5 minute walk to a major Metro station (Ecole Militaire); there are markets very close by to pick up cheese, baguettes and wine for light dinners and lovely bistros surrounding the neighbourhood. The hotel is typically European - meaning small and not appropriate for very large people as you would not be able to get in and out of the water closet but it is charming and all that you need. The staff is amazing - SO helpful and willing to go out of their way to accomodate your needs. We booked taxis and trips through them and everything was smooth as French butter. The prices are quite reasonable and certainly worth the investment. Oh by the way, if you have to order a taxi - try VIA CABs (like the large old British taxi cabs) viacab.fr 01 83 77 83 77 - they offer fixed rates for airport pick-ups and local trips.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Crossville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Upon arriving at hotel we discovered one person in our group had lost passport. The desk clerk JUDY was so helpful. She made several calls to report it lost and tried to help locate passport. After several calls she gave great directions to American embassy.
Any time we ask for information every one at the desk was helpful and nice.
This is an older hotel but was clean and a there was enough room for 4 adults to be comfortable.
Only draw back was 10 to 15 pounds for breakfast. It was good but a little over priced.

Room Tip: Great location to tour Paris. Only a few blocks to Eiffel Tower. On and off bus was close by. Gre...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
ParisSandro, Responsable relations publiques at Hotel La Bourdonnais, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Katie,

We do thank you for your kind comment. Julie and the team are
glad I could help you on the loss of your passport.

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripdavisor site.
Regards
Sandra
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We spent six nights. The location is fabulous. Small grocery next store, less than 5 minutes to the Metro, many nice restaurants within a couple of blocks. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was quite dated and worn, but clean and the view was fantastic. Once the hotel has been refurbished (Fall 2013) it will be a gem.

Room Tip: Request a room on 5th or 6th floor.
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Before you can judge any hotel room, you have to really take into account the location, country, and the context of the overall experience. For example, if this hotel was in Budapest or any other parts of Eastern Europe, I would expect A LOT more for the amount I would pay for this room. However, I've been to Paris many times, and I can assure you that this hotel is the best value you will find, anywhere in Paris. There's a reason why it's a Rick Steeve's pick.

My wife's top priority is CLEANLINESS. The hotel is old, but the hotel has been recently remodeled in the right areas (Bathroom and Shower). These areas are modern and new, so the hotel is clean and well kept in the right areas. The rest (furniture, carpets, etc.) are a bit old but that's expected since the hotel extremely old.

Service was excellent. We're Asians so we normally get the typical Asian tourist treatment and attitude wherever we go, but the hotel clerks were extremely kind and treated us with respect. In fact, my wife was extremely picky, and she decided to switch rooms last minute, and they were extremely patient with us. Then my wife decided to switch back, testing their patience even more, but they were more than kind enough to switch it back. At this point, I would expect most attendants to become upset, but not here.

If you book for a family of four, the space works excellent. Yes, the space is a bit tight but this is Paris and for what you pay, it works extremely well. Most hotels in Europe, if you book for 4, you get an American-sized double bed and a sofa bed. Not here. You get two full, double-beds, which was quite a surprise. Definitely worth the money.

Location is excellent. It's just a few blocks from the Eiffel tower, around the corner from a large grocery store, some good cafes and bakeries around the corner, a metro stop just a skip away, and one block from Napoleon's tomb. Because it's so close to the tower, you can wait for the nice weather opportunity to hit it in the evening (closes at 11pm). But most importantly, this arrondisement is considered one of the safer districts to be that's close to all the attractions.

I'm only docking one dot for sleep quality since I'm a 100% cotton, 200-threat count sheet person. I would only expect this anywhere in Europe except in 5-star hotels. I'd rather just bring my own pillows than to pay for a $400/night room.

No comments on breakfast since we just stocked up on breakfast from the bakeries/grocery store and kept them in the fridge. But I hear the food is a good value, and it really smelled good every morning.

Make sure to book early since this hotel usually goes quick. When we go back to Paris this summer, we're definitely going back for sure!

Seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Edited Trip Advisor review to take out name of company I booked this hotel through.
Everything in my review is factual and truthful.

Booked this hotel December 2011 as part of a UK/France holiday for my family. NO WAY WAS IT WORTH THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!
It was the fourth hotel of our stay and it was a nightmare. It looked like Uncle Fester's Addams Family lair.
It was the worst decorated hotel I have ever seen. It frightened my children. Once you leave the lobby, the games begin.
Dark, dark purply-black walls, a horribly outdated room, a shower door that wouldn't close all the way, beds (we had a family room) that felt like they'd been in place since the Brady Bunch was on the air. The list goes on.I booked through another site based on reviews and immediately knew that I'd been had. I immediately understood that I was in the middle of a marketing game and that both me and my dollars were the pawns. I'd been had.
I can understand that sites have vested interests in partnering with hotels, but should that partnership mean a suppression of the truth? Guess so.
My family and I were literally shocked when we arrived at the hotel (to two nasty desk clerks who behaved as if I was a pariah for having booked through a vendor.) They demanded to see my reservation. I had to pull it up from my laptop.
Things went from bad to worse when we took the lift to our room.
We all looked like deer-in-headlights because the hotel looked nothing like the pictures.
Only good things about this place are that it really is about a 7 to 10 min walk to the subway and there are lots a restaurants and shops around. Please don't subject your family to this hotel. My family was more struck by the awfulness of this hotel than they were by the beauty of the Eiffel. And that is a shame. Never again.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ParisSandro, Responsable relations clients at Hotel La Bourdonnais, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

We fully understood the hotel did not meet your requiremement and we are sorry about this
but was there a need to write such a science fiction novel ?

We are trying to keep this charming old fashion Paris style so many guests are still looking for.

The feeling of the Hotel is well described in the reviews our customers leave nearly every day their pictures are very realistic.

So we really hope people will keep reading and we will let them make their own judgement.

Also we apologies for asking for your Hotel confirmation at arrival, such an unusual procedure at check in ...
Sandra.

Been to Hotel La Bourdonnais? Share your experiences!