“A hidden gem!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #136 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Bristol, United Kingdom
“A hidden gem!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel as part of a last minute break in Paris. After a tiring journey, the concierge warmly greeted us, sat us down and explained everything simply to us, and kindly too in English, after my pigeon French failed me.
The hotel itself was fresh, modern, simple yet cosy. Our room was on the 4th floor and had a stunning view, from which we could see the Eiffel Tower - a real treat. The rooms were very clean and modern, with everything you would need for a short break. Breakfast was included with our tarriff and had a good buffet style selection - both cooked and continental options available.
The location was great - far enough removed from the hustle and bustle for a peaceful night's sleep, yet well connected with Cadet metro station just around the corner.
If you stay at this hotel, I would strongly recommend the Moroccan restaurant "1001 Signes", which is not far away.
Overall a very pleasant stay and I happily do so again! :)

Room Tip: High floor overlooking rue de Maubeuge offers a great view of Paris, including the Eiffel Tower
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Normally a bad or unjustified experience would prompt me to write a review on this platform, as I would like everyone to be aware and not be "mis-guided" by over-hyped and favorable reviews, that usually did not substantiate my own experience.

The following review is borne out of the very reason stated above. A few let downs during our 5 nights stay:

1. Toiletries are not replenished. These items are not back-filled, even our bottles have been sitting empty for 2 days.

2. Sheets are not changed even when they were soiled. We understand and advocate for the environmental cause of keeping the sheets unchanged every day; however, in the event that they are soiled, I believe they should be, at least for the part (e.g. pillow case or sheets only) that should be refreshed.

3. One day we decided to stay in until 1pm. The reception lady called and demanded us to leave the room for cleaning, since the lady had to leave for the day. The reception lady was extremely rude over phone and we just asked her to skip the cleaning for the day. I was a bit surprised by her unprofessional demeanor.

4. On the date of check-out, we asked the reception lady to book a taxi for us to CDG. With much her persuasion, she advised against us using a taxi due to possible traffic jam, hence leading to high cost. (FYI, the shuttle fee is split between hotel [8 euro] and shuttle company [16 euro])The booking was supposed to be at 8pm Monday and we took taxi to CDG 3 times in the past year (due to the same flight schedule). We were finally decided to her a chance to try the shuttle, due to her strong negative advice on taking a cab, and the lower cost of a shuttle bus. I arrived at 7:30pm to pick up my stored luggage and waited for the shuttle. After 45 minutes passed, it was 8:15pm. The shuttle still hadn't arrived. I asked the gentleman manning at the reception to call the shuttle company. What surprised me the most is that --- not only the shuttle company refused to pick up the phone, but the gentleman at the reception was quite grumpy in assisting me. The whole fiasco between the reception and shuttle company wasted another 15 minutes, before the reception could allow me to tell him that I definitely have to grab a taxi on the street instead. I didn't even bother to ask them to call a cab, even the speed of their service.

In summary, the service at this property is not what the high rating suggests. I understand this is only a 3 star property, and should not expect a 4 or 5 star treatment. I just hope that the rating can be reflected more accurately for its deserved standing among its competitors.

Thank you for your time in reading this. Hope this is helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is a great little hotel, 10 minutes' walk from the Gare du Nord, and well-placed for sight-seeing, restaurants, etc. The staff are extremely helpful and all the very positive comments made by other visitors are still good. Highly recommend for singles, couples, families.

Room Tip: Top floors, view on to the street. The Eiffel Tower is really there!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
TAMWORTH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Recently spent a weekend at this hotel and would recommend it.Staff pleasant,helpful and welcoming.Room not large but about right as you are unlikely to spend much time indoors.Everything clean and acceptable.Request fifth floor and room 504 if you can.Double balcony with view of Eiffel Tower.The hotel is in a good position and most things on a visitors must see list are within a reasonable walking distance.if you come by Eurostar 10/15 minute straight walk from station.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

WOW!!!!!! This is one of the best kept secrets in Paris. We booked a Eurostar ticket from London to Paris that also included accommodation for 2 nights in Paris. Its a Mod-Style hotel, very fresh and simple but new and clean. The staff are world class. We were greeted by the reception/concierge (I think his name was Oliver) and he was so helpful and friendly, and one of the fastest checkin's of our entire trip. We crossed paths with him again later that day in reception and he gave us directions to great restaurants that only locals know about. Our rooms were compact but they had everything you would need for a short stay. Not to mention the view from the balcony. ***HOT TIP - ask if the balcony room with the view of the Eiffel tower is available, AMAZING! Champagne views on mineral water prices. Get there before everyone finds out about it. Would.......WILL stay there again on our next visit to Paris. Thanks Hotel Palm Opera.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Palm Opera in Paris last week (September 2013). The staff there was very friendly. I arrived at the hotel at 8am on Sunday morning. They did not wait to noon and checked me in right away. They lent me their power adapter too during my stay. The hotel lobby/lounge has a retro look. Very charming. The free bar has snacks and hot drinks. My room is tiny, but it is Paris and this hotel is in a period building. The location is great, about 10-12 minute walk to Gare du Nord, a major training/metro station in Paris. Sacré-Cœur is within walking distance. Good affordable bakeries and restaurants within blocks. Great for business travelers and tourists. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed in this hotel last weekend and I can't praise it highly enough!

I loved the lounge area, with the 60's retro furniture and a very generous free bar.
If you are fit, climb the spiral staircase to your room - it is charming.

The rooms were lovely and quite soundproof, which is important !

We had a balcony on the 5th floor, overlooking the Eifel Tower.

The staff were very friendly, helpful and welcoming.

I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We had Room 504, but Room 503 was nice too. They both had large balconies. All rooms have TV and A/C...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Palm Opera - Astotel? Share your experiences!