“Great service and amazing battening show” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #234 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Great service and amazing battening show”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

The service is the best of any W Hotel I have visited. The bartenders had an amazing fire show which was fantastic. I cannot wait to return and see it again. When we return to Paris we will definitely stay here again. Everyone is so accommodating and pleasant.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Miami Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Sometimes, W's are too trendy for their own good. W Opera kind of falls in that category. The location is amazing and if you splurge for the Opera view, you can brag to your friends that you slept with a view of this famous establishment. Other than that... well, the check-in is impersonal and robotic (they do offer you a coffee), not very accommodating. Rooms are tiny, but well appointed with lots of gadgets and artwork. The multi-charge iphone/ipad/blackberry was appreciated, but the open bathroom plan not. Sorry I dont like to shower in full view of my bed and to sleep in a steamy room. Bottom line is that for the price you are paying for the hype, not the comfort or luxury. Cool minibar items (but super pricey). Bar is nice downstairs but again stupid expensive.

Room Tip: If money is no object, get an Opera view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

this is a new hotel, in a great location. based on W experiences in other cities, decided to try this one out.

check-in was a drama. only one person available ("we are in a new shift so only one staff member is doing registrations/check-ins"???). given that the people before me had issues, I spent first 20 minutes listening to a hefty discussion, while 4 other "staff members" (concierge, porters,..) were standing there and looking at me. Not what you expect from this type of hotel.
once I could check-in the lady was very professional, apologized, offered a free drink and a room upgrade.
good that I got an upgrade because the room was small... room was clean, good amenities. I'm not a fan of "open bathroom - bedroom" lay outs; so this was not my cup of tea.
Room was quiet during the night.

we had dinner at Arola. Nice food, excellent wines. Waiter suggested to decant our wine and than had to come and inform me he couldn't immediately find his decanter :-). Eventually it showed up as from the second bottle. Stayed till the last at the restaurant, so they asked us politely to leave; but offered a nice bottle of wine to be drunk in the hotel bar. Neat.

the breakfast is not on par with an upscale hotel (except for the price). limited options.

Staff is overall friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

To be honest, when I'm in Paris I want to feel like Napoleon when choosing hotels. Normally I go for George V, The Ritz, or..., enfin, you get the picture. This time my wife chose based on a review in our American Express Magazine, Departures. It was to be the W. One of Paris' newest and most lauded hotels.
We were not disappointed! The rooms have an individual theme and though not large, all the suites were taken by one family when we stayed, they were cosy and very well appointed. Our abutted the Apple Store and overlooked the Opera and was, with good aim and a strong arm, a stone's throw from Galleries Lafayatte. Unlike other times, we either walked or taxi'd everywhere.
The staff was exceedingly helpful, young, crazy good-looking, and multi-lingual. Nothing was too much effort.
It took us a few days to clue on to the fact the W's bar was also one of the hottest destinations for the hip, beautiful, and well-heeled after work and on the weekends. Because of it's location, the outside bar is located on the meeting corner of two busy roads, it's both a place to see and be seen. And with a fantastic cocktail list and Dom Perignon by the glass, who could ask for anything more.
The hotel also has a gym, which comes in handy if one orders too much room service.
My only criticism would be that these days, at a certain price point, I expect free internet service. Too many hotels still don't offer this and they should listen to customers' requests. At the very least offer it in the restaurant or bar. In short though, I will most certainly return! Who needs internet in the room, when you have Paris around you anyway!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Seems to me there are a lot of great reviews of this hotel. My view on the place is slightly different. I'll make it as simple as possible:

Pros:

Good location
Clean and new rooms (important in Paris)
Helpful staff
Youthful vibe (unlike other hotels in the price range which will be fanny pack style tourists)
Concierge did a very good job
Interesting and well stocked minibar
Cool modern aesthetic

Cons:

We had a "spectacular" level room. It was less than spectacular. There was no seperate bathroom, what I mean to say is that the bathroom is right in the room and it has a toilet closet. If you are looking to get romantic, I suggest avoiding this hotel or getting a higher class of room. Nothing kills a mood like someone audibly going to the bathroom.

Cheap airport style toilet paper

Poor location for getting a taxi on the fly (they will call one for you and it will have 10EUR on the meter already)

Small rooms (not too small by Paris standards though - just not an American size)

Staff fails to properly execute a wake-up calls - set your own alarm

Service in the lounge is spotty

Overall:

I want to qualify this review by saying that I have stayed at the Plaza Athenee. When I last stayed there 2 years ago I paid about twice what the room at the W cost. I am mentioning this because the W, despite its flaws, is a pretty good value. However, if you are American, and you are expecting the type of W room you would find in the US, you will be very disappointed. Keep the bathroom thing in mind and adjust your expectations accordingly.

Room Tip: Ask about the bathrooms. Seek out an L shaped room at a minimum if the concern I have indicated reso...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

The W by the Opera is very cool. While the rooms are a bit small in general, they are very slick. The only thing is that we had to move because of a bad smell in the shower, and since there is no door between the bathroom and the bedroom, it was an emergency situation. There was a sign that construction might be going on in the mornings and we were provided with earplugs? I didn't hear a thing. It was a nice stay. The bar has a DJ on certain nights and it looks like fun, we were to tired from exploring the city. I still think the toiletries are too small. But this is the W standard Bliss issue toiletries. The price has to be right for us to stay there again. There is not much else to say, which is saying a lot.

Room Tip: High floor, but not the top.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
olivier s, Directeur général at W Paris - Opera, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Anthony 2013,

I am happy that you enjoyed your stay in Paris with us. I have also noted the issue with the shower, which was due to an unfortunate lack of water in the sink. Nothing that could not be fixed immediately.

I am also happy that we had the opportunity to give you a taste of the Whatever Whenever spirit in Paris. For your next stay, stay tuned, you may enjoy some nice Music performances as this time you could not make it.
Anything you need, just ask, Cécile, our W Insider will be glad to prepare some unexpected places to discover while you are in the City of Lights...

Meanwhile, I wish you a fantastic day.
Olivier
Curitiba, PR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I have chosen this hotel due to the nice reviews on this site, and I didn't regret my decision.
The location is superb, the service is great, and the hotel is new and modern.
The concierge is great.
I would , for sure, stay again at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013

I am happy that you followed the previous travellers reports to select the W hotel for your stay in Paris.
You now have some new friends in Paris! I advise that you stay tuned! Join us on our social media scene and you will be regularly updated on our Fashion, Music and Design calendar. What's New / Next in Paris and more generally in France is our mission to entertain our guests while enjoying a pause in the city of Lights!

I wish you a great day!
Olivier

Been to W Paris - Opera? Share your experiences!