“Ceramics: A Very Special Collection” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Specialty Museums
Attraction Details
Toronto, Canada
17 attraction reviews
“Ceramics: A Very Special Collection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

When I am in Paris this museum is always on my list though I don't always have time to visit. It is well organized so that you can look at the ceramics of a particular era and be assured that it is of the best quality. I think that older children would enjoy visiting the museum as it is not overwhelming. The museum is easily accesible via the M9 train; the stop is M Pont de Sevres. I enjoy crossing the bridge to Sevres and looking at the river where one can see houseboats and a Yacht/Boat club that has an excellent modern design. If you cross over to the other side of the bridge, you see an island that used to be home to a car factory. I imagine workers going there in peace and war and wonder about their lives. So the visit to the museum involves more pleasures than that of the museum. The next time I go I intend to explore the town of Sevres which will be another adventure for me on a Paris trip.

Visited October 2011

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Great pieces and school too”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Excellent pottery exhibition, huge scale. Pieces from many centuries ago (of course) and mainly European. Color and design thru time. The art school is in there so you can see young artists' work for sale too.

Visited May 2012
Paris, France
68 attraction reviews
“Manageable museum with porcelain through the ages in interesting building”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

This museum is great for those who have visited many of the other Paris highlights. As a 15-year Paris resident, I had always wanted to see this museum so last Saturday my family and I went out to the museum and we were glad we did. I really like these kinds of manageable museums: not too big. This one has a vast collection of all kinds of porcelain throughout the ages and across Europe. I am not so interested in this kind of art as such, but from a ‘sociological’ perspective it is really interesting. There is a great shop where you can purchase art works in ceramic - but prices are prohibitive. The top floor has temporary exhibits - this time African; middle floor has the main collection and downstairs another temporary exhibit with very modern pieces and the 'shop'. I would recommend starting at the top floor and working your way down. The only thing missing for me was a better explanation or demonstration on how all these things are made and the differences between the kinds of porcelain.

Visited November 2011
San Diego, California
“Amazing collection of all things ceramic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

I wanted to make the most of my Paris Museum Pass and chose this museum. Amazing collection of all things ceramic from pottery to porcelain, to glass to metal inlays. Pieces date from the 1600s; interesting to see the differences in styles. This is more than a museum; it's a city of ceramic artists who have studios on-site. I highly recommend calling ahead to arrange to meet some of the artists and tour their studios. I would have liked the downstairs boutique (not to be confused with the bookstalls inside the entrance to the museum) to contain some moderately priced pieces for sale. Least expensive piece I saw was a tea cup for 320 Euros. I really wanted a piece, but all were way outside my price range. More moderately priced pieces would sell and provide artist with opportunity to have work more widely known. Not an appropriate place for kids. The 2 I saw were bored and seemed to rush the parents. I will return.

Visited October 2011
Malaga, Spain
2,230 reviews 2,230 reviews
2,008 attraction reviews
1,891 helpful votes 1,891 helpful votes
“A Unique Museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Sevres is one of the suburbs of Paris and one can take the metro to the Pont de Sevres to get to the museum. From the metro station there, one has to cross the long bridge to get to the museum. Be sure to walk on the right side of the bridge. The museum is a large building that displays all sorts of porcelain and ceramic, from many different manufacturers, such as Sevres and Meissen. There is a beautiful portrait of a young woman created in faience that calls attention for its beauty. It has vivid colors and was created in 1878 in Paris. One goes up the stairs to the gallery upstairs and at the entrance there is a painting gallery with many good paintings. The entrance hall upstairs has many very large ceramic and porcelain jars, many of them using Art Nouveau designs. There is a beautiful fireplace made of ceramics. There are many cabinets that show off all of the porcelain plates.
Many of the porcelain pieces apparently belonged to Madame du Barry and Madame de Pompadour, the mistresses of Louis XV.

Visited September 2011