“You will live amongst the French” 3 of 5 stars

My Hotel In France Opera Saint Georges
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7 rue Navarin, 75009 Paris, France (Opéra)   |
Ranked #1,142 of 1,792 Hotels in Paris
Hayward, California, United States
“You will live amongst the French”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2014

My 3 stars are based solely on location. You will reside amogst the natives while staying at Saint Georges. This boutique hotel is located in the 9th arrondissement.The hotel is located in a maze of apartments and houses on beautiful streets lined with small grocers, cafes and restaurants. Amazing architecture and oftentimes noir type visuals are at the photographers bekon. Every neighborhood has a metro station so traveling into the heart of Paris and tourism is not an issue when needed. I only wish the Bay Area had such a system. You will never see a car commercial on the TV. The hotel rooms are small, the staff is extremely helpful; just remember to greet them with a pleasant bonjour!

You will be walking distance to the Sacre Coeur in the artsy Montmarte district. You will also be close to the Moulin Rouge in the red light district - be very careful and aware.

When you visit the many tourist attractions, and there are so many, you will be around many tourist - so why not stay amongst the natives? Just be prepared for bare bones and no amenities.

When I return, I return to the 9th and possibly My Hotel in France Opera Saint Georges.

Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Greek first
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2014 via mobile

First of all ignore any US reviews on Paris as they expect air con, big rooms and a metro station next door. The hotel is a budget hotel, we paid £40 a night which if you know Paris is very cheap. The staff were polite and yes it is small and in need of a bit work (which was going on) but location wise it's great, just down from Montmartre and surrounded by small bars and cafes. Ignore the reviewer who said its not safe, I have stayed in this area many time over the last 10 years and it's full of character, yes there are prostitutes and girly bars but that's Paris.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2014

So OK it was not too expensive, somewhat clean and only a 15 minute walk from Gare du Nord station but that's where any attraction ended. Basically you couldn't swing a cat in these rooms and we had three of them, each with single beds, which I didn't know hotels still used. The TV was so high up the wall, you got a neck ache to try watch it. As for the toilet, I'm no giant but I had to sit sideways as there was no room in front to put my legs. Yes they did come in and make the bed each day but no they left the rubbish by way of empty water bottles are sandwich bag on the floor. Sound wise you could hear next doors TV on both sides and if you opened the window your room was filled with smoke from the small smoking courtyard below.
I guess the receptionist was happy and friendly enough.
Thank God we were only sleeping there, nothing else as there were plenty of bars and restaurants nearby so we stayed away during the days not returning until the small hours each night.

Room Tip: Go across the road to another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
North Shore, Auckland, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2014

We were booked in here by a travel agent. We are not backpackers or budget travellers. This hotel is definitely only budget. It was reasonably clean but very small and dated. The man who greeted us at reception was polite and helpful and understanding when we decided to leave an hour later. You had to sit sideways on the toilet as there isn't enough room to sit normally. Nowhere to have luggage open except for on the bed. Flimsy, plastic coffee cups. I'm sure this would be fine for budget travellers and short stays but was not for us.

Room Tip: Can't advise on a room as we couldn't wait to get out.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2014

Very clean. i liked meat it was and light. Small but effeciently designed. Great staff - very helpful. Super location. Great service and very attentive. A little charming hotel with good prices. I recommend.

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2014

Room located on first floor overlooking street, with 2 windows, this was a blessing as we arrived in a heat wave of 30+ degrees Celsius. No fan or airconditioning and the lift had broken down.
Only 1 power point in the entire room, with no fridge either. Very disappointed considering we were paying 190 euros a night.
Top Tip: great cafe at end of street, Cafe Smilie. Great staff and a happy hour that starts at 4 and runs till 9 with 5 euro cocktails. Must try the foie gras. Divine!
Located halfway between Sacre Coeur (15 min walk) and the Seine (30 minute walk), it was well located. Breakfast was nice too, continental style.
However, with all this said, I would not stay here again.

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2014

I have recently returned from this hotel after spending 2 nights there.
Firstly, this hotel looks NOTHING like the management photos. It was dark, dingy, dirty and pokey.
we were a party of 3 people, staying for a last minute business trip. we asked for 2 rooms. 1 twin room and 1 single room.
On arrival we were given 1 key, which opened up to a tiny corridor ( room 52 )
at the end of this corridor was a double bed room, even though we had requested, and called to double check that we would be given 2 separate beds. when we complained the person on duty looked very blankly at us and just said that there was nothing he could do. It was late at night so my colleagues had no option but to share which is unacceptable.
The other room off this corridor led to my room, which had the worlds tinniest single bed inside. I can only assume that this 'suite' was supposed to be for a couple and a young child, and not 3 single adults. I am only 5'3" and a small build and it was still too small for me.

we also shared our beds with a variety of wildlife, waking up to several insect bites and I inadvertently squashed a bug in my sleep.

The phone in the room didn't even work, so we had to travel down from the 5th floor in the lift which was the size of a matchbox in order to complain.

The bathrooms ( cleanish I suppose )had toilets so close to the wall that even at my tiny size I had to sit side saddle so my knees didn't hit the wall.

The service we received was very lazy with a couldn't care less attitude. I could go on and on.

on leaving, I questioned the rate of our room as the rates on the door clearly state that it should be euro240 for a double room, but there was no rate for a 3 person room and it was less for a single.
They had charged us 1006euro for 2 nights for this 3 person cupboard when we enquired they just told us to email the manager, which really is no use!!

I will go out of my way to make sure that no-one I know stays in this hotel. I would rather sleep in a tent on the side of the street.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business

Been to My Hotel In France Opera Saint Georges? Share your experiences!