“Great Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Timhotel Gare Du Nord

Save Saved
You added Timhotel Gare Du Nord to your Saves list
Timhotel Gare Du Nord
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10, rue Philippe de Girard, 75010 Paris, France (Entrepôt)   |
Ranked #1,459 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
MIDDLESBROUGH
“Great Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

This hotel has friendly English speaking staff - it is a 10 minute walk from Gare du Nord. Room was spacious and clean and the en-suite bathroom was small but adequate. The buffet breakfast was really good - beautiful warmed croissants with not only preserves and butter but ham and cheese available. You will be assured of a good nights sleep in this quiet location - central but not noisy.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Manchester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

I'm sorry to say that this is the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. The hotel was booked for me by work (presumably because it's cheap) but it really wasn't worth the money. For just a few euros more, there are FAR better hotels in Paris.

It does have some positive points:
Reception staff were pleasant and helpful
Breakfast is included in the price
Internet is free
The bed sheets were clean
It’s cheaper than lots of other hotels in Paris (but only by a few Euros)

But, unfortunately, the bad points far out-weigh the good:
Location is very noisy – right on top of Gare de l’Est station
Bad neighbourhood - I was dodging prostitutes, gangs of dodgy-looking blokes, and drug dealers to get in to hotel!
Poor security – no safe in room, easy external access from street to rooms without going directly past a reception desk
Room was very dirty and in an extremely poor state of repair
Bathroom was filthy – mouldy grout, dirty sink, taps, bath, etc – and in a poor state of repair, so much so that I didn't even want to have a shower
Breakfast area was messy with dirty pots left un-cleared on every table, and no staff visible to clear them

Fortunately, I was only staying for one night. If I'd been booked for longer, I would definitely have moved to another hotel, and that's something that has never happened to me before.

It was so bad that, when I went out for my dinner, I was torn between staying out late so that I didn't have to go back to the hotel, or rushing back to make sure that my belongings hadn't been stolen from my room!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

On check-in I was absolutely dismayed to see a filthy dirty bathroom, but on closer inspection that was not actually the case.

We booked two rooms online for a friend and I: I was lucky and had the twin room which was perfectly spacious in comparison with most Paris hotel rooms, my friend was less lucky with a tiny single room with the bed facing the door and around 2ft between the end of the bed and the door. Tip: if you get a choice of rooms online (ours were quoted at he same rate), go for a twin room, even if you're on your own.

My bathroom had the advantage of having a bath (a luxury I don't have living in a small London flat), however, it looked terribly filthy. When I looked closer it seems that the bath had been scrubbed too hard with inappropriate cleaning materials and had become very scratched as a result. It wasn't actually dirty, just very worn. Also, the grouting looked filthy, as did the toilet, but it was a mixture of wear and tear: cracks in tiles or porcelain being covered over with mastic which had since become discoloured. Damp in the bathroom was also evident, but it was extremely clean. A tip for the hotel: don't put a shower head on a bath fitting if your fixtures are too high to join the two together!

My bed was made perfectly every day and towels replaced, and they provide you with a very large body/hair gel, so there's no need to worry about taking bath products with you.

Yes, the hotel is on a train line; ask for a room overlooking the courtyard/at the back of the hotel. I was absolutely shattered after intense sightseeing, so it was not a problem for me, except for a very noisy freight train one morning. Being so close to the lifts could also have posed a problem as I am usually a light sleeper - but constant sightseeing meant that was not a problem.

The area is not the best in Paris but it's very accessible, and although Gare du Nord is not a very nice area, the hotel staff will direct you to another two Metro stops to return to which are less seedy.

The staff were very welcoming and friendly and helpful.

The buffet breakfast is fairly extensive and constantly topped up (for late sleepers!) - you can eat as much as you like, which really set us up well for a day's sightseeing - no need to eat again until mid-afternoon or even evening.

There are no thrills here: no room service, a vending machine for snacks, no mini-bar, no in-room hairdryer or ironing board. But they do seem to provide the best service they possibly can for budget travellers, and as such, I would recommend it. I've paid 50 euros a night more in Paris and had the same size hotel room (but with more amenities).

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

we stayed her for 2 nights (My husband n me) n were quite satisfied with the hotel ! we were quite worried after we had gone thru all the reviews here...but thankfully we faced none of those issues...we knew the rooms were extremely small...but it was just enough for the 2 of us to crash every nite after an exciting day out in Paris!..our room was facing the main road..n it was not at all noisy...the staff spoke decent English n helped us with directions n restaurants nearby....we went to this cute little coffee shop nearby the hotel every morning ..we loved the expresso n breakfast they served...to conclude...our stay was very comfortable with no unpleasant experiences :)

Tel Aviv, Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

we stay at the hotel 3 nights.
under the bridge right in front of the hotel there is a huge train station every two minutes the trains pass and it was terrible noise!!!!
the location is also very bad far away from the center and u have to take the metro to go anywhere.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Don't know why this hotel has so many bad reviews on here - they terrified me a bit before travelling and almost none of what I'd read was true! The rooms and bedding are clean; the telly and wifi are free and work fine; no surprise breakage deposits on arrival; reception staff spoke perfect english and were extremely helpful; our towels were changed twice in 3 days (fine); the bathroom isn't huge but unless we're talking giants or the morbidly obese then there's absolutely no problem; the ONLY problem is the noise from the trains IF you sleep with the window open, it can be a little irritating. Don't book a hotel next to the 2 of the city's biggest train stations and expect it to be quiet. We didn't book breakfast but, as it's Paris, step outside and you can grab a coffee and a croissant anywhere for a few euros. Similarly, if the vending machines aren't enough, step outside and there are supermarkets and cafes within 2 minutes' walking distance. I was apartment hunting basically all over the city, so you couldn't beat the place for convenience being so close to Gare du Nord, it was a great base to get around from but also a comfortable place to come back to at night. It depends on the type of stay you want, I wouldn't really go to this place if I wanted to treat myself to a luxury holiday, but for a few days, or for a sightseeing trip, you couldn't really get better value for money.

Room Tip: maybe rooms on the courtyard side would be a little quieter.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

For the cheapest hotel in central Paris it is good value for what you pay, very close to the Metro and can get a good curry on your doorstep! The room was cleaned daily and was average. The bathroom was small and grubby though but for location and price it get pass marks!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Timhotel Gare Du Nord? Share your experiences!