“Everything we were hoping for” 4 of 5 stars

Sevres Saint Germain Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22 Rue Saint-Placide, 75006 Paris, France (Luxembourg)   |
Ranked #238 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Oslo, Norway
“Everything we were hoping for”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I don't have recent comparisons (my first time in Paris for 10 years) but I expect this hotel would stack up favourably against most other properties.

It had everything I want in a good hotel
- Very good location
- Bigger than average room
- Good shower
- Comfortable bed
- A little bit of style

In addition, our room was very quiet and the curtains did a great job shutting out the light. In short, it was a great room for actually sleeping in. The bed was firm, but I am OK with that. The room was clean.

The staff were excellent. Very friendly, helpful, and good English speakers.

It is not cutting edge style or 5-star luxury, but it is not pretending to be either. All the important things were done right. I would absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cécile Marie I, Directeur général at Sevres Saint Germain Hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear guest, thank you so much for your charming messgae. Our classical room are not really large, but next time don't hesitate to ask for the deluxe or Prestige room: all will be bigger the room and the bed !. It will be a real pleasure to welcome you in our hotel a next time. Cécile-Marie Isse -Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The Hotel Sevres-St Germain is very well situated close to 3 Metro stations, one of which, ideal for UK travellers, is on a direct Metro from Gare du Nord. Rue Saint-Placide is quiet and full of shops for quick snacks and Parisian delicacies. The Hotel building is about 300 years old, as the ancient beams testify, but elegantly restored. The reception team is keen, friendly and helpful. We stayed in first floor rooms (there is a lift) which were spotless- smallish, but perfectly adequate with a good en-suite and powerful shower. Breakfast was excellent with far more than you ought to eat.... It is easy to walk (or take the Metro) to the Louvre, the Musée D'Orsay, Notre Dame etc. For eating, there is an excellent Italian restaurant opposite, and round the corner, Le Rousseau, an even better French one. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks a lot for this nice review, situation (2 metro stations) and area ( Le Bon Marché department store ) are perfect I agree with you, not because I'm the manager but because I'm a Parisian girl !! . We hope to see you a next time. Cécile-Marie Isse
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I visit Paris regularly and keep coming back to this cozy hotel in the best arrondissement for shopping -- two minutes from the incredible department store Bon Marche -- and strolling and the Musee Dorsay. It also is on Line 4 of the Paris Metro which zips you easily all over the city. The hotel has been recently renovated and has become my home away from home in the city of LIght. Ask for a room at the back to minimize street noise.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for this wonderfull review, I'm really glad that this hotel is become your Parisian home !! See you with real pleasure a next time. Cécile
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I have stayed 3 times so far at this hotel. The reason: my husband and I combined must have been to Paris about 100 times in the past 20 years. We have stayed in all sorts of all hotels from the highest category where you pay 600 € a night to the lower 3 star for 100€. In the end, we always return here because although it is about 200€, it is clean, rooms are bigger than your average Paris pokey place and the location cannot be beaten if you love St Germain.
It has a great local, the Nemrod , on the corner. The whole area feels a bit less touristy with posh Parisians going about their business. Also there is a Velib stand right in front. Nothing better than grabbing a bike early in the morning,cycle along the Seine and down the Champs Élysées!

I find Paris such a minefield as far as hotels go but here,whilst it is not top luxury,it delivers what I look for and I don't feel cheated out of my money.

Room Tip: Renovated room with street view
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for this recommendation! We are happy you enjoyed each time your stay... See you soon. Cécile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I was a solo traveler and found this hotel very quaint and inviting. The hotel itself felt like a miniature with the rooms, elevators, hallways small but comfortable. The continental breakfast was good, I was glad not to have to pay for breakfast. The room I had overlooked the street and had a very Paris flavor. The neighborhood is very safe and warm, away from the beaten path of locals. I found a deal online and for the price I paid it was definitely worth the stay

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Canterbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a long weekend at this hotel and had a brilliant time. Although the room was small, we still had enough room to get ready. We used the safe provided in the room everyday which was extremely helpful! The staff were extremely helpful, givign us information about the metro, and attractions such as a river cruise. The only negative thing would be that the breakfast was not brilliant. We had the same thing everyday, it lacked variety. The hotel said there was a variety of cheeses but there was only one, and there was no hot food.
Check out was at 12 and our train wasnt until 9pm but the hotel allowed up to leave our bags there while we used up our last day in Paris, and we were even able to come back to the hotel early and chill out on the sofa in the reception area. The hotel is close to the metro stations which is a very easy transport system to understand.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Pleasanton, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

After 2-1/2 weeks in France which included several "budget" hotels, we decided to pay more for a luxurious final stay in Paris. While the Sevres Saint Germain was certainly adequate, it did not justify the extra cost.

On the plus side, the staff was helpful and the bath towels were huge! The shower was also enclosed, so water didn't splash all over the bathroom floor like at the places that only had a small "shield" mounted next to the showerhead. On the downside, the bed wasn't very comfortable--we both woke up with sore backs, which hadn't happened at any other hotel--and the walls are not well-insulated against sound. We were both woken at odd hours by travelers moving around (packing, unpacking, using the wc) in their own rooms. There is a lift, though (as with several hotels in France) it's only big enough for one person with luggage at a time. As mentioned above, the staff was helpful, loaning us a plug adaptor so we could re-charge our camera batteries and giving us a cup of ice when we requested some.

What you're really paying for, I believe, is location. This hotel is in a quiet neighborhood (except for the early-morning garbage collectors) and it's safe--we were able to walk back from the Metro station after midnight with no worries.

Finally, we did NOT eat breakfast here due to the insulting overpriced cost. Luckily we had already stayed in ten other hotels on this extended trip, so we KNEW that every other place charged between 9 and 10 Euros for breakfast. For the EXACT same selection (we checked the hotel menu), Sevres Saint Germain wanted 15 Euros each! We got croissants at the patisserie next door and put those 30 Euros towards a nice dinner instead.:-)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sevres Saint Germain Hotel? Share your experiences!